U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,879,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yea this one's over. Too little too late, Cavs down 0-2 with an improbable run by the Celtics!
That wasn't improbable. That was the better team staying engaged and not panicking. LBJ was fatigued in the 1st half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I expected the Cavs to win by double digits tonight but I guess Brad stevens is that good. Kind of let you know why Dwayne Casey was fired. lol
Stevens is a good coach, but the Cs have a better roster than the Raps. It is always talent that makes the team in the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I was glad to see Smart go hard on that crab JR Smith. Players can get paralyzed from crap like that.
Good win for the Celtics...hopefully they can continue in Cleveland.
Incredibly dirty play, and shame on Lue for leaving JR in the game when the officials failed to send him off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Hey now, this is all a part of LeBron's plan....he's just scouting Boston out some more. Can't wait to hear what Shannon Sharpe has to say.
That wasn't scouting. That was LBJ hoping to break Boston's spirits with an early flurry. And LBJ and the Cavs demonstrating their porous defense after that attempt failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
They cannot relax against Houston, regardless of how much they're leading by. The Rockets have enough firepower to get back into a game in a flash.

Utah is not nearly as good as Golden State.

The series will only be far from over should Golden State fail to win Game 2. The Warriors win Game 2, it's over.
GS is no Utah, that is certain. If GS defends like they did Monday, I don't like Houston's chances.

Quote:
He's clearly been the best player for the Warriors in the playoffs this year. If he's the second best, then who's the first?
KD's been great in these playoffs, but Curry is GS's best player. And the GS MVP of the playoffs thus far has been Green. His work on LMA, AD, and Capela--plus his elite help and physicality--have utterly broken opponents' offenses. The best defensive player in the world has turned it up to 11, and he has the Warriors playing the best defense in the playoffs.

Quote:
The Celtics will get a lot of respect should they even reach the Finals. When they get Irving and Hayward back, they'll be downright scary.
Irving at 30+ minutes will hurt this team's elite defense.

Quote:
That being said, I honestly think there's no way Boston could beat Golden State. Not without Kyrie to counter everything Steph does.
Boston without Kyrie presents a new type of challenge for GS--an elite defense with no real weaknesses. Of course, the Warriors present a new type of challenge for any team--one of the best teams in history on both ends of the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
first off, I don't have a favorite NBA team, I simply love basketball. Here are my observations:

Rockets are horrific against the Warriors. I don't care if Houston wins tonight. They are done already. I agree with Chuck, Warriors win the series 3-0.

Cavs are in trouble. Down 2-0 and they are fighting each other, not good.

Celtics - Warriors series? I think the Celtics won the season series? I know, I know the regular and playoffs are 2 separate seasons.
The Celtics and Warriors split the season series, with Boston winning a close one in November and GS winning a close one in January. Both of these teams have changed since then.

That would be a fascinating Finals matchup, but both of these teams still have to beat the opponents in front of them. If GS wins tonight, then I think we can call the series at 2-0. I can't imagine Houston taking 2 of 3 in Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The Bucks came back from 0-2?

Funny I thought the Celtics won that series so I guess the Bucks "didn't come back"

No team has ever come back against the Celtics down 0-2 as in never ever

This isn't the Cavs of 2-3 years ago the Celtics are younger,faster and more talented across the board they are making the Cavs look old and tired....which they are.

Celtics just took Lebron's best shot and still won by double digits
The Cavs can't defend, and LBJ is a big part of the problem. He is taking too much time off on that end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
The media is too generous with LeBron.

Max Kellerman and Mike Greenberg praise LeBron maniacally before everything they say, they are complete and utter groupies to the same extent as the most obsessed fanboys on the internet, and Stephen A. Smith is critical of LeBron but still precedes every criticism with a reminder that LeBron is the best player in the NBA.

Durant is the guy that doesn't get enough praise.

Most people in the media and internet agree that the regular season doesn't mean much.
Most people in the media and internet agree that the Eastern Conference is weak compared to the West.
So what does that leave? The NBA Finals, and Durant was the best player in the NBA Finals and he outplayed LeBron in all the 4th quarters when they went head-to-head as Jordan and Drexler did in the 1992 Finals.
LBJ is clearly in the pantheon of basketball greats. KD is a great player who still has a lot to accomplish to reach that status.

Quote:
Next year their defense may be weaker.
They may gain some points offensively but their defense may concede some points to cancel it out.
But, there is no doubt they will be clutcher (I assume, but its hard to get any more clutch than they are right now).
Correct. The Cs have to retain Marcus Smart--that dude can play. It would take brass cojones, but Kyrie as 6th man might be the right move with this glut of wings. Brown, Tatum, Smart, and Rozier have proven they deserve heavy minutes. Semi has proven that he is a rotation player. And the Cs will have to integrate two more wings--Hayward and Irving--next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
You also got to discover your talent with Rozier, Brown, and Tatum sooner than expected. We wouldn't be in this scenario most likely if it wasn't for the injuries to Irving and Hayward. This is an accident of riches for the organization and you have the best coach in the league leading the young talent. If Rozier, Brown, and Tatum don't get blinded by earnings elsewhere, this is very easily the Golden State Warriors of the East. They can end up having two starting lineups, which would wreak havoc on many teams second units. If those three aren't blinded by earnings, then Boston being led by Stevens will be amazing to watch at full health. They're already fun to watch and they're missing 2 all-stars.
Best coach in the league? There is a Legend in San Antonio and a pair of legends-to-be in Oakland and Miami who have something to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, logically speaking Lebron with some help from Love is carrying along a bunch of guys that aren't very good.

It's fine to give him credit for what he's done on the court and acknowledging he's not getting much help.

Now of course, that's a rational conversation and all those sports "talking heads" intentionally say outrageous stuff to get your attention and ratings etc.

So here is my big question, how can you guys stand to listen to those guys talk about ANYBODY? lol. Turn them off and find a better source of news than listening to sports "shock jocks" and bootlickers etc.

With KI hurt, Cleveland may still come back to make this a series but let's not kid ourselves about the east being anywhere near either GS or Houston this year.
The Cavs have talent, but they can't play together--especially on defense.

Quote:
Lebron scored 40 last night and they were down at one point late in the 4th by 15. Nance, Clarkson, and Hood are giving them nothing. Cleveland rolled the dice, because they honestly had to. Things weren't working with Shumpert and IT. This is a resemblance of when Lebron left the first time. It's no mystery that this team struggles to create it's own, unless it's fed to them through Lebron. None of these guys can take their man off the dribble.

Some of the fault is Lebron, but at the same time, Cleveland wouldn't be where it's at without Lebron. What he learned in Miami put Cleveland back on the map. I'm not saying this team was going nowhere, but Kyrie wasn't taking them to the Finals in 2015, like Lebron did. He makes any team he's at better, until they're not.

I think everyone knew what they were getting with Nance, Clarkson, and Hood, but at the same time, you do hope the change in scenery would spur things along. Hood was likely the biggest gamble and that's what you get when you gamble. You either win big on your bet or you lose it all.
Cleveland's big risk was IT's health, and they cut bait at the trade deadline when the question mark was looming large. This is a team with plenty of talent, but they didn't figure out how to play together.

Quote:
There's no team in the East that is as close to having two starting line ups like Boston. I'm not putting them on the same level as the Warriors, but I am saying having two starting line ups will wreck havoc on teams. Brown and Tatum are loving the spotlight and are showing up each night. Tatum played well above his age last night. I have a feeling that Stevens will be very influential in keeping this team together for as long as possible. If Boston wins this series, it's the changing of the guard most likely in the East. Not saying the King will be completely dethroned, but player 2 has entered the game to challenge player 1.
The future Cs have some big personnel decisions to make. This year's Cs are not done, and could be a fascinating matchup for the Warriors (or a nightmare for the Rockets, if they manage to figure it out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 11:51 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
LBJ doesn't make teams better . He go's to very good teams and shines in the bright spotlights and the glory of ESPN.
LOL

This is the hot take we have been looking for.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,063,091 times
Boston would sweep the Cavs and probably beat the Warriors with Kyrie/Hayward in the lineup.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:11 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,246,537 times
Anyone catch the draft pick order yesterday?

I thought it was Jami Gertz, good to know she's still married to the same guy for decades and wondered what happened to this hottie from my youth.

Jami Gertz's appearance at NBA draft lottery blew people away — so where has she been?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:13 PM

498 posts, read 142,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
first off, I don't have a favorite NBA team, I simply love basketball. Here are my observations:

Rockets are horrific against the Warriors. I don't care if Houston wins tonight. They are done already. I agree with Chuck, Warriors win the series 3-0.

Cavs are in trouble. Down 2-0 and they are fighting each other, not good.

Celtics - Warriors series? I think the Celtics won the season series? I know, I know the regular and playoffs are 2 separate seasons.
The Warriors and Thunder are my favorite NBA teams. Nonetheless, I have respect for other teams as well, such as Minnesota.

Should Houston lose tonight, it's over. Warriors in 4

Cleveland will need to win Game 3 to get back in the series. Otherwise, their reign as Eastern Conference Champions ends this year.

The Warriors and Celtics split the season series, each winning on their home court, respectively. Without Kyrie though, I think the more experienced Warriors win the series in at most five games.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Boston would sweep the Cavs and probably beat the Warriors with Kyrie/Hayward in the lineup.
Boston would for sure give the Warriors a run for their money. Defeat them? I'm not sure about that. Maybe the Warriors win, but not before it stretches seven games?

With how well the Celtics have been playing without those two guys though, it's safe to assume that Boston will be SCARY next season.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Next year their defense may be weaker.
They may gain some points offensively but their defense may concede some points to cancel it out.
But, there is no doubt they will be clutcher (I assume, but its hard to get any more clutch than they are right now).
Maybe their defense will indeed not be as strong, but they'll more than make up for it with the elite scoring of Irving and Hayward. Kyrie is very brave in the clutch. He'e been known to hit shots with the game on the line.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
That wasn't improbable. That was the better team staying engaged and not panicking. LBJ was fatigued in the 1st half.

Stevens is a good coach, but the Cs have a better roster than the Raps. It is always talent that makes the team in the NBA.

Incredibly dirty play, and shame on Lue for leaving JR in the game when the officials failed to send him off.

That wasn't scouting. That was LBJ hoping to break Boston's spirits with an early flurry. And LBJ and the Cavs demonstrating their porous defense after that attempt failed.

GS is no Utah, that is certain. If GS defends like they did Monday, I don't like Houston's chances.

KD's been great in these playoffs, but Curry is GS's best player. And the GS MVP of the playoffs thus far has been Green. His work on LMA, AD, and Capela--plus his elite help and physicality--have utterly broken opponents' offenses. The best defensive player in the world has turned it up to 11, and he has the Warriors playing the best defense in the playoffs.

Irving at 30+ minutes will hurt this team's elite defense.

Boston without Kyrie presents a new type of challenge for GS--an elite defense with no real weaknesses. Of course, the Warriors present a new type of challenge for any team--one of the best teams in history on both ends of the floor.

The Celtics and Warriors split the season series, with Boston winning a close one in November and GS winning a close one in January. Both of these teams have changed since then.

That would be a fascinating Finals matchup, but both of these teams still have to beat the opponents in front of them. If GS wins tonight, then I think we can call the series at 2-0. I can't imagine Houston taking 2 of 3 in Oakland.

The Cavs can't defend, and LBJ is a big part of the problem. He is taking too much time off on that end.

LBJ is clearly in the pantheon of basketball greats. KD is a great player who still has a lot to accomplish to reach that status.

Correct. The Cs have to retain Marcus Smart--that dude can play. It would take brass cojones, but Kyrie as 6th man might be the right move with this glut of wings. Brown, Tatum, Smart, and Rozier have proven they deserve heavy minutes. Semi has proven that he is a rotation player. And the Cs will have to integrate two more wings--Hayward and Irving--next year.

Best coach in the league? There is a Legend in San Antonio and a pair of legends-to-be in Oakland and Miami who have something to say about that.

The Cavs have talent, but they can't play together--especially on defense.

Cleveland's big risk was IT's health, and they cut bait at the trade deadline when the question mark was looming large. This is a team with plenty of talent, but they didn't figure out how to play together.

The future Cs have some big personnel decisions to make. This year's Cs are not done, and could be a fascinating matchup for the Warriors (or a nightmare for the Rockets, if they manage to figure it out).
Houston will have no chance whatsoever should Golden State take both games in Houston. The Warriors haven't lost on their home-court in the playoffs since that heartbreaking defeat in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals. All because Curry was hurt and Draymond Green couldn't keep his act together. Some of those things Draymond does makes me question his maturity. I completely understand that Green is Golden State's best defender, but I still think he can make smarter decisions at times. This is basketball, not mixed martial arts.

I agree that Curry is the most important player on the Warriors. As key a cog as Durant is, Curry is literally their engine with his shooting, passing, dribbling, and play-making abilities. While Steph hasn't performed as well as many would hope, I have a feeling he'll have a breakout game tonight. The Rockets are finished if that happens.

Irving and Hayward may not be the best defenders on the Celtics, but their offensive firepower would more than make up for that. Kyrie is known to perform well in the clutch, hitting big shots with the game on the lone. With how hard Hayward has been working to get back on the court since he suffered that gruesome injury on opening night, I am confident that he'll return stronger than ever.

Those two games between Boston and Golden State featured Irving leading the way for the Celtics. While Boston's defense has indeed gotten better, I'm not sure they have enough firepower to keep up with the Warriors. Boston doesn't have anyone who can guard Kevin Durant, as his height and absolutely absurd length allow him to just shoot over anyone. Anyone who's guarding KD will just have to hope he misses.

For now, the Warriors need to focus on the Rockets, and the Celtics need to focus on the Cavs. That being said, seeing these two face each other would be a great match-up. Would be even better if Hayward and Irving were healthy, but we'll see them next year for sure.

Should the Warriors and Celtics meet up in the Finals, I'd say Warriors in 5.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Anyone catch the draft pick order yesterday?

I thought it was Jami Gertz, good to know she's still married to the same guy for decades and wondered what happened to this hottie from my youth.

Jami Gertz's appearance at NBA draft lottery blew people away so where has she been?
I'm glad the Suns were able to get the first overall pick for once. As much as I like the Warriors and Thunder, I've secretly wanted the Suns to win an NBA title someday. Seeing the Suns bring a Larry O'Brien trophy to Phoenix would be sweet.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Don't worry, when "the King" goes to Golden State next year for the league minimum salary, comes off the bench and wins 4 more titles over the next 4 years, giving him 7 titles total, he'll be smiling from ear to ear!
I really don't see LeBron even thinking about going to Golden State. Should that happen, which is exceptionally unlikely, I only see James joining the team for his own good; he wants to make sure that no one on the Warriors has more rings than he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball