U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Watching he warriors v rockets now, so far rockets seem to have firepower to make this a series
This is a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Guess that means he is a 100% healthy
He is a player returning from injury. He lacks the lateral quickness he had pre-injury. But he's one of the best players in the world, and a huge +, regardless of that limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's amazing how people resort to bad habits.

Harden playing one on one hero ball just stagnates the offense. It's when Houston is moving the ball well and slashing and attacking the rim they started to make a mini run.
In games 1 & 3, the Warriors defended at the highest levels you will see. They took away the passing lanes and that put the pressure on Harden to create in isolation. They brought just enough defensive help that the mismatches were protected at the rim. Those two games weren't bad habits: they were great defense dictating challenging offense.

My prediction for this series was that the team that defended best would win each game. That has proven true thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
No everyone said he was hurt when he was struggling which was BS
He played a brilliant game 1, then the whole team decided not to show up for game 2. He played a brilliant game 3, even in the first half. The shot falling/not falling is not where "struggling" comes from for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It wasn't BS, Curry himself said he tweaked something in game 2.

Anyone can tell he's moving a lot better this game than he was in game 2 with those extra days of rest. Curry was like the Walking Dead in game 2, no lateral quickness, just dragging along.
He hasn't had pre-injury lateral quickness in any of the 6 games since returning. But he is playoff basketbll healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Iím not sure how the Rockets win Game Four in Oakland, but I guess anything is possible.
It's not quite a must-win, but it is the best chance for the Rockets to turn the tide of this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
People were saying that the Western Conference Finals were the "real" NBA Finals this year, not so sure about that.

The way I see it, the "real" NBA Finals were the Dubs vs. Cavs in 2016, ever since then Golden State has sleepwalked through the regular season and the playoffs, they only lost 1 game in the 2017 Playoffs, have 3 losses this year, but haven't really been tested.

Maybe in the 2019 Finals against the Celtics, with Irving and Hayward back, in might be a "real" NBA Finals for the Dubs or not?
The league's two best teams are going at it in the West right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Harden's level of play has a massive range from game to game.....looking like an MVP to looking like a real rookie out there.
And Chris Paul has a wide range of skills but is nowhere near as reliable as John Stockton.
John Stockton and Magic Johnson are a couple of levels above Chris Paul.
Magic is on another level. Stockton and Paul are fair comparisons. Interesting that neither has a title to date . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've always been hesitant on Paul. He's a HoFer no doubt, but his regular season success has always exceeded his postseason. Look at this:

Career Regular Season
.472 fg%, .372 3p%, .868 ft%, 18.7/4.5/9.8
.518 efg%, .581 ts%, 25.6 PER, .251 ws/48

Career Postseason
.482 fg%, .374 3p%, .847 ft%, 21.3/4.9/8.9
.532 efg%, .582 ts%, 25.4 PER, .207 ws/48

He's the same ****ing guy, regular or postseason. Slight increases here, slight decreases there, but he's the same damn player. That is my biggest knock on him, always has been, and this is reflected in the fact that it took him until Year 13 to make the Western Conference Finals. His numbers reflect his success ratio. All of the high-level greats of all time, elevated their play in the postseason. With only a few exceptions, Paul has been the same player. How many memorable playoff moments does Paul have? Answer: not enough for a guy 13 years in who is widely regarded as one of the best points ever...

He also always seems to be hurt or fighting an injury when his team needs him, at least in his later career. And he always seems to shrink back a little versus the most elite competition...

Paul is a great regular season player and maybe an all-time great regular season player. He's not an all-time great postseason player, and that is going to define his career and seperate him from the all-time great points...

He and Harden's legacies would be greatly helped if they found a way to win this series...
It is common for players to see a significant dip in efficiency in the playoffs. Defenses are much tougher and officials usually allow more contact. This is Paul's first great team since New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The Celtics are just a different team on the road and not in a "good way"(I guess you can say that about most teams though!). Good thing they have home court this round, they might need it.
Hmm . . . where is that wunderkind coach when you need him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Are we starting to see why the Celtics miss Kyrie? Maybe they are like one of those teams who lose the star but the team comes together for big wins (usually only one big win).....yet they eventually canít overachieve anyone. You sometimes see this in the NCAA tourney.
Did you see how LBJ sought and abused Rozier on switches last night? Rozier tries hard, but he just can't slow LeBron. Imagine if Kyrie were on the floor.

Horford is the Celtics best player. The Celtics are a good team because they defend at an elite level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well yeah. KI is one of the top 15 players in the league and the best player on the celts.

He was a huge loss this year and I hate to see that no matter whom I root for.

I want to see full-strength teams fight it out.
*Horford. Smart might be the next most important player for the Cs, even if healthy. I'll take Hayward over Kyrie, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think Game 5 is really going to tell us a lot about these Celtics. They are undefeated at home during the playoffs. If they lose Game 5, they will face an elimination game on the road. They obviously have played better at home, and if they beat the Cavs in Game 5, they could go to Cleveland looking to close the series out. That would be very significant.

Either way, this team is getting a lot of experience and learning to deal with the pressure at the highest levels. This can only be good for them going forward.
The Cs haven't yet played at home after one of the greatest ever to play dismantled them twice in a row. I agree with you that we are about to learn a lot about the Cs.

Quote:
I would say because they are so inexperienced they'd have to blow Cleveland away in a Game 7 at Boston and avoid a close finish, but Stevens is a brilliant coach for tight finishes so they might be clutch enough.
First things first though, win Game 5 at Boston and see if Cleveland give them a sniff in Game 6 because the Cavs are a lot more unstable these days.
I'm a lot less sure about Stevens' coaching after what we have seen in the last two games. There are qualities to like--for sure--but also some baffling decisions: pulling Smart when the Cs were on a run to close the gap, going with two bigs at once against the Cavs in meaningful minutes, letting Rozier take bad, early shots without running an offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,323,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The league's two best teams are going at it in the West right now.
No doubt, but if the Dubs win the series 4-1 and go on to win the NBA Finals 4-0 or 4-1 over the Cavs/Celtics, I would say that they haven't been really "tested" since the 2016 Finals, which they lost 4-3 after being up 3-1.

That's all I was getting at, just because the Rockets and Warriors are the two best teams in the NBA right now, doesn't mean Golden State can't win that series 4-1 with a bunch of blowouts. It just means the gap from 1 to 1a is HUGE!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM

5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
I wonder what Curry is thinking when he does those juvenile acts on the court.
He's already a really ugly guy, and to do that childish dance and weird yelling, he makes a complete fool of himself and ruins what should be a proud moment.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That's what happens when you finish with a better regular season record - you get the benefit of having home court.
We are very fortunate to have such a brilliant home team in these Eastern playoffs to make sure Cleveland pay a price for the failed regular season.
A lot of other teams (Toronto obviously) wouldn't even be good enough to win at home.
And its quite different to the Philly series, because in that series Boston had a couple of very close home games (won by 5 in game 2, and won by 2 in game 5) whereas they've won by 25 and 13 in the home games vs Cleveland.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I wonder what Curry is thinking when he does those juvenile acts on the court.
He's already a really ugly guy, and to do that childish dance and weird yelling, he makes a complete fool of himself and ruins what should be a proud moment.
A competitor fired up when the work pays off.

Quote:
We are very fortunate to have such a brilliant home team in these Eastern playoffs to make sure Cleveland pay a price for the failed regular season.
A lot of other teams (Toronto obviously) wouldn't even be good enough to win at home.
And its quite different to the Philly series, because in that series Boston had a couple of very close home games (won by 5 in game 2, and won by 2 in game 5) whereas they've won by 25 and 13 in the home games vs Cleveland.
Don't count your chickens before they have hatched.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
A competitor fired up when the work pays off.

Don't count your chickens before they have hatched.
They aren't my chickens/eggs, I dislike the Celtics more than just about every team in the NBA because they are the biggest threat to Philly's future championships, but these NBA Finals will be a lot more interesting with Boston than with Cleveland.
I just find Cleveland's brand of basketball the most boring of all teams remaining, plus even though neither team will have much of a chance vs Golden State, at least Boston has magnificent defense and quite entertaining players.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:20 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,972,218 times
I'd like see to either a GS vs BOS finals OR
a HOU vs CLE finals.

The former are 2 free flowing, ball movement teams where you can never predict who the stars will be that night. The latter have 2 stars on teams designed around them, and they must produce.

But I'd bet on another GS vs CLE

Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
They aren't my chickens/eggs, I dislike the Celtics more than just about every team in the NBA because they are the biggest threat to Philly's future championships, but these NBA Finals will be a lot more interesting with Boston than with Cleveland.
I just find Cleveland's brand of basketball the most boring of all teams remaining, plus even though neither team will have much of a chance vs Golden State, at least Boston has magnificent defense and quite entertaining players.
Boston isn't the biggest threat to anyone at this point. They are not going to look the same after the summer of 2019 (they might not look the same next fall--Smart is the big pending decision for them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'd like see to either a GS vs BOS finals OR
a HOU vs CLE finals.

The former are 2 free flowing, ball movement teams where you can never predict who the stars will be that night. The latter have 2 stars on teams designed around them, and they must produce.

But I'd bet on another GS vs CLE
Warriors-Cs would involve two of the best defenses in the league. Rox-Cavs would be two of the best offenses in the league. Warriors-Cavs would give us Round 4 of one of the greatest players ever against one of the greatest teams ever.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
It is common for players to see a significant dip in efficiency in the playoffs. Defenses are much tougher and officials usually allow more contact. This is Paul's first great team since New Orleans.

I'll take Hayward over Kyrie, for sure.

I'm a lot less sure about Stevens' coaching after what we have seen in the last two games. There are qualities to like--for sure--but also some baffling decisions: pulling Smart when the Cs were on a run to close the gap, going with two bigs at once against the Cavs in meaningful minutes, letting Rozier take bad, early shots without running an offense.
Well duh, on point one lol. It is common to see numbers dip in the playoffs--however it's a little aspirational to call someone an all-timer at their position and they don't have another gear consistently in the playoffs. I ask again, what are Chris Paul's signature playoff moments?

The answer is still not enough for a supposed positional GOAT 13 years in...

And I've been watching the NBA for 19 years, since '99, less time than many of you guys, but the best point guard I've ever seen in the playoffs with my own eyes, is Tony Parker. Much more confident than Paul in big spots and much more lethal. Paul might be the better player on balance but Parker's playoff legend puts him ahead of Paul to me...

Point 2, I don't know that I'd take Hayward over any of the Top 5 Boston players. He's largely unproven...what I do believe in, is his chemistry with Stevens. Stevens is probably the perfect coach for Hayward and if he were designed as a #1, I could see him being a perennial 25ppg scorer in Stevens' system. Outside of that, though, we know what he is: a good player, a marginal All-Star. Not a great player, not a true #1. And the Celtics have at least two (And maybe three) young bucks with more upside than Hayward...

Hayward is an 8-year veteran and I hope he rebounds well, but we know what we get with him. I think you can win a trophy with him as your #2. As your #1, I have my doubts...

And I think Stevens was attempting to allow Rozier to play freely and let the game come to him. He did have a period of back to back threes and made some critical buckets to keep Boston in striking range...

Quote:
You do realize that if you win 3 games by a combined 100 points, but lose 4 games by a combined 4 points, you lose the series, right?

Quote:
Boston isn't the biggest threat to anyone at this point. They are not going to look the same after the summer of 2019 (they might not look the same next fall--Smart is the big pending decision for them).

Warriors-Cs would involve two of the best defenses in the league. Rox-Cavs would be two of the best offenses in the league. Warriors-Cavs would give us Round 4 of one of the greatest players ever against one of the greatest teams ever.
It's going to be hard to keep this team together, and there are already reports that Smart is looking for a payday. He'll get paid and I think in the right fit, he can a Draymond-type #3 on a championship-caliber team. I'm a believer in Smart...you'renot winning anything if he's your best or second best player, and possibly not as your third--bit the right fit on a great team he can be your #3 And you could contend...

Through three games the WCF has failed to live up to the hype of a GOAT series. Also I'm not convinced Houston is the second best team in the NBA...

Old 05-22-2018, 05:44 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times
Rozier is 6 foot tall...of course Lebron has his way. Kyrie is the one guy that can possibly give the Celtics a 40 point performance and get them buckets when they have those 2-3+ minute droughts. Sometimes you just need that kind of offensive explosion to win a game...the Celtics don’t have “the guy” that can do that and possibly win them 1 game when they need it. And as far as defense, didn’t the Celtics have the #1 defensive rating WITH Kyrie playing 30+ minutes? Apparently, he wasn’t hindering things too much.

People are labeling Stevens the best coach in the game - he would surely know how to utilize players like Kyrie and Hayward to the team’s advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball