Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 12 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,511,264 times

Advertisements

Early predictions:

EAST
Raptors over Wizards 4-1 (could see it going 6 but no more)
Cavaliers over Pacers 4-2 (could see it going 5 but no less)
Celtics over Bucks 4-2
Sixers over Heat 4-2

I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire East 1st Rd go 6 games...

WEST
Rockets over Wolves 4-1 (I can see a sweep possibly)
Thunder over Jazz 4-2 (I can see this in 5 but no less)
Warriors over Spurs 4-2 (I can see 5 or 7 but I don't see a Spurs win, period)
Blazers over Pelicans 4-3 (I can see this going either way)

All top seeds should hold, only one I'm worried about is Portland, they have a tough draw...

I'll withhold my later round predictions, but I do think Round 2, the Cavs are gonna be in some trouble in The East. This is the worst draw for Cleveland, Indiana in the first and Toronto in the second. Lebron's 7 straight Finals was gonna end at some point, and it truly looks like it'll be this year. Last time Lebron had a team that didn't win MORE than 50 games was 2008; they lost to Boston in 7 in Round 2. He did take a 50-win team to The Finals in '07, so the Cavs will be competitive and if/when they lose, it won't be in 4 or 5, but he just doesn't have a strong personnel...

The Raptors should get out of The East, but it's always scary to pick them. They didn't play particularly well down the stretch (7-6 in last 13 games, including 2-5 versus playoff teams). I am hesitant to pick them, but they were the most consistent East team all year. If they can't win the conference this year, when the hell will they? Literally everything fell in Toronto's favor this year:

•healthiest team in NBA
•weakest Lebron James team in a decade
•Celtics decimated by injuries
•Wizards decimated by incompetence
•Sixers just (assumedly) too young and inexperienced

I like the Raptors, but I mean really, if they can't win this year, this team and this era of the Raptors will deserve to go in the history books as THE most mentally fragile team in the league history...

The Sixers could be a team of Destiny. They won't win it all this year, but they got the best draw possible (avoids Toronto or Cleveland until ECF, drew Celtics without two best players). They could go on a run and it wouldn't be a 'total' shocker if they wound up in The Finals...

The Dubs are in some trouble, but we all knew that. The draw isn't that bad, but I have doubts they can just flip the switch. We'll see, but even if they do, Houston is not favorable and I can't see then beating the Rockets, healthy or not. They've avoided the Thunder until the WCF, and I'll be honest, I don't think Houston is necessarily a lock over OKC either. Thunder are the dark horse West team for sure...

Of course, I may be wrong and we may be gearing up to watch both Cleveland and Golden State flip the switch anf steamroll their conferences. The likelihood of that is probably less than 10%, but these two could benefit from being underdogs and having experience on their sides. It'll be interesting to watch...

Can't wait until Saturday, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
1,2,3,4,5 76ers

I think games one and two will tell us a lot about the Sixers and their youth and experience etc.

Of note they enter the playoffs riding the longest winning streak ever of a team ever (history of the NBA) entering the playoffs

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,052,856 times
I'll be at the Cavs/Pacers game Sunday. I don't have any unrealistic expectations for Cleveland this year, just excited for the playoffs overall.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:12 AM

29,421 posts, read 22,317,254 times
Cavs finals
Dubs finals

Cavs win NBA championship 2018.

The end.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Pacers over Rockets

Old 04-12-2018, 11:21 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,501,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Early predictions:

EAST
Celtics over Bucks 4-2
Sixers over Heat 4-2

WEST

All top seeds should hold, only one I'm worried about is Portland, they have a tough draw...

I'll withhold my later round predictions, but I do think Round 2, the Cavs are gonna be in some trouble in The East. This is the worst draw for Cleveland, Indiana in the first and Toronto in the second. Lebron's 7 straight Finals was gonna end at some point, and it truly looks like it'll be this year. Last time Lebron had a team that didn't win MORE than 50 games was 2008; they lost to Boston in 7 in Round 2. He did take a 50-win team to The Finals in '07, so the Cavs will be competitive and if/when they lose, it won't be in 4 or 5, but he just doesn't have a strong personnel...

The Raptors should get out of The East, but it's always scary to pick them. They didn't play particularly well down the stretch (7-6 in last 13 games, including 2-5 versus playoff teams). I am hesitant to pick them, but they were the most consistent East team all year. If they can't win the conference this year, when the hell will they? Literally everything fell in Toronto's favor this year:

•healthiest team in NBA

I like the Raptors, but I mean really, if they can't win this year, this team and this era of the Raptors will deserve to go in the history books as THE most mentally fragile team in the league history...

The Sixers could be a team of Destiny. They won't win it all this year, but they got the best draw possible (avoids Toronto or Cleveland until ECF, drew Celtics without two best players). They could go on a run and it wouldn't be a 'total' shocker if they wound up in The Finals...

The Dubs are in some trouble, but we all knew that. The draw isn't that bad, but I have doubts they can just flip the switch. We'll see, but even if they do, Houston is not favorable and I can't see then beating the Rockets, healthy or not. They've avoided the Thunder until the WCF, and I'll be honest, I don't think Houston is necessarily a lock over OKC either. Thunder are the dark horse West team for sure...

Of course, I may be wrong and we may be gearing up to watch both Cleveland and Golden State flip the switch anf steamroll their conferences. The likelihood of that is probably less than 10%, but these two could benefit from being underdogs and having experience on their sides. It'll be interesting to watch...

I like the Bucks over the Celtics. I think the Raps & Roz sweep, while GSW takes SAS in 5. I like the Jazz over the Thunder. I’m with you on the winners of the other round 1 matchups. I see Jazz-Thunder & Cs-Bucks as the likely 7-game series.

I like a Warriors-Cavs finals, if Curry comes back healthyish. Otherwise Roz-Cavs.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:06 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,772,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Cavs finals
Dubs finals

Cavs win NBA championship 2018.

The end.
I'd be a happy man. I wanted two titles when Lebron came back. He can play baseball, produce a movie, be a Warrior next year- it doesn't matter anymore. Just make sure he steers his kid to Cleveland in 6-7 years. The Cavs have made me forget about the Browns troubles (well almost), but I feel a turn happening soon for both franchises.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:57 PM

525 posts, read 275,777 times
I would like to see the Warriors finish San Antonio off in five games. They need to rest everyone up for the upcoming rounds.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I'd be a happy man. I wanted two titles when Lebron came back. He can play baseball, produce a movie, be a Warrior next year- it doesn't matter anymore. Just make sure he steers his kid to Cleveland in 6-7 years. The Cavs have made me forget about the Browns troubles (well almost), but I feel a turn happening soon for both franchises.
I'd rather see Golden State repeat this year since their first attempt fell short.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Early predictions:

EAST
Celtics over Bucks 4-2
Sixers over Heat 4-2

WEST

•healthiest team in NBA

The Warriors are not in trouble yet. I think they will flip the switch since they have the experience of what it's like in the playoffs as opposed to the regular season. There's just no way Houston would defeat a healthy Golden State team. The only way the Rockets win the series is if the Warriors are anything less than full strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball