Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM

525 posts, read 279,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Leonard wasn't even at the Arena tonight. Not a good look for his future with the Spurs.
Leonard's injury is certainly a mysterious one. As much as I don't like the Spurs, I can't help but wonder what is going on with the relationship between the team and Kawhi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 11:15 PM

525 posts, read 279,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll bite:

East:
Raptors in 6
Cavs in 5
Sixers in 6
Celtics in 6.
Wiz aren't winning, but the Raptors like to keep series interesting. I can see the Wiz winning game 1 or game 2 in Toronto than probably game 3 in Washington before the Raps turn it on. Cavs haven been playing like crap but still got to pick them in the playoffs. I love this Sixers team, but feel they may have peeked a little too early. How they respond coming off a loss will be a key to this series. I don't think any of the top 4 East seeds are losing, but I'd pick the Heat as the most likely team to upset that East apple cart. Giannis can win 1 or 2 games for the Bucks and can expand this series a couple extra games with all the injuries the Celtics have, but the Bucks aren't a serious threat to win this series. The Celtics will have problems the next series regardless of who they play, but they'll get through this relatively unscathed.

West:
Rockets in 4
Warriors in 5
Blazers over Pelicans in 7
Jazz over Thunder in 6.
Rockets won't have much trouble. I could see the T'Wolves winning 1 game. Warriors should dispatch the Spurs pretty easily too. Remember last year when this was the Western Conference Final?? Blazers Pelicans will be a great series, and both teams seem evenly matched. I can't see how this series ends before game 6 and I would pick this series as the "series most likely to go to a game 7." Jazz were an overachieving team this year while the Thunder underrachieved. I say the Jazz split in Oklahoma games 1 & 2 and close them out in game 6.

Assuming these predictions hold out (and there's about a 100% chance it won't happen) here's the rest of my picks:
East:
Cavs over Raptors in 7, Sixers over Celtics in 6, Cavs over Sixers in 7.
West:
Rockets over Jazz in 7, Warriors over Blazers in 6, Warriors over Rockets in 7.

Yawn another Golden State Cleveland finals. I'll take Warriors over the Cavs in 6 games.
I see the Warriors finishing off the Rockets in six games should they be at full strength. Otherwise, Rockets in six.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 AM

91 posts, read 124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
The 8th seeded Warriors defeated the 1st seeded Mavericks in 2007. There were actually no injuries at all in that series. Just a major upset.
Grizzlies did it to the Spurs a few years later. No injuries there either.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 AM

91 posts, read 124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Leonard's injury is certainly a mysterious one. As much as I don't like the Spurs, I can't help but wonder what is going on with the relationship between the team and Kawhi.
In my opinion, the rift is between Leonard and Popovitch. And since Leonard is such a quiet, unassuming guy, he doesn't know how to confront the situation--publicly or privately. So "I'm indefinitely injured even though I've been cleared" is how he chooses to handle it. The problem is, even if Leonard has a legit gripe, the odd behavior is casting a cloud over him.

Over the years, the media has drooled over Popovitch's style so much, that he has become a rock star in the NBA world. To me, he has become manufactured and calculated, and he annoys the crap out of me. His postgame remarks after Game 1 are just another example of this.

It is quite possible that a quiet personality like Leonard just doesn't feel he is equipped to stand up to Popovitch, and/or win a public war against such a fixture in that organization. I'm speculating of course. But there is no way that Leonard is still injured, given that his teammates have started calling him out over the past month, and that he wasn't even on the bench yesterday. If this was a dispute with a player, I think it would be out in the open and handled. Again, the only untouchable, true rock star in that organization is Popovitch.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Popovitch probably has the biggest ego in the NBA.
That's the impression he gives me.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why specifically?

I think a #8 beating a #1 in a 7 game series has happened only once or so (due to decimating injuries) so did I miss some news or is this something else that would make it not a surprise?
They just look evenly matched to me...don’t see anything about the Raptors that makes me think “wow they’re good”.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
They just look evenly matched to me...don’t see anything about the Raptors that makes me think “wow they’re good”.
Yeah, tough to figure. They only finished with the 2nd best record in the NBA. Musta' done it with mirrors.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:28 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Note to Sixers... Hold out Embiid until round two unless the Heat figure things out.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Dang... Rozier shook that defender to the point of helplessness and drains the three with 0.5 left.

Then Middleton responds and hits the three. Playoff basketball...

Old 04-15-2018, 01:42 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Great game now between the Celtics and Bucks!

Also, I knew there was something off with the Spurs and Leonard.

When I posted on this forum months ago of a possible discord between the two, some poo poo'd the notion that there was anything wrong and it was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Well, what say you now prior doubters?

I think Leonard will be gone from the Spurs. It's never good when your leaders such as Parker openly question your character about not playing due to an injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball