U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 PM

17,274 posts, read 10,200,031 times

Advertisements

Looks like Kawhi told Popp he doesn't want to play for the Spurs.

The writing was long on the wall, it's time for the Spurs to cut their losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
[quote=Jardine8;52257635]Looking at it from the Spurs' standpoint, what assets would you want back from the Lakers and Clippers in a Kawhi trade?

The problem that I see with the Lakers is they don't have draft picks. They have the 25th pick in tomorrow night's draft and their 2019/2020/2021 picks probably will be late 1st rounders if they get Kawhi. They certainly will be if they add Lebron as well. They have some nice young players (Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball) but I can't imagine the Spurs organization wanting to take on Lonzo Ball just because of the circus that Lavar Ball would bring. Can you imagine Popovich trying to ignore Lavar Ball's rants? The Spurs are like the antithesis of everything that is Lavar Ball.

I totally agree with you, so we give you Josh Hart in place of Ball. Josh Hart was our second round pick and he too was a steal IMO. He is a hard working tough guard who won a NCAA championship with Villanova. You couple Hart with Ingram and Kuzma.

That might be the best offer the Spurs will get, especially after what I heard last night, that Leonard told Pop right to his face, I want out of SA and if you don't trade me to LA, I will go there as a FA the following year.

If SA wants to play hard ball, the longer it takes to trade him, the less they will get for him.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
After what I just read, if I am the Lakers, I wouldn't even offer Ingram and Kuzma. I would just offer Ingram and the number 1 (25th overall).

Why offer both when it still might be the best offer SA gets. If they don't trade him, we will get him next year for nothing.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
After what I just read, if I am the Lakers, I wouldn't even offer Ingram and Kuzma. I would just offer Ingram and the number 1 (25th overall).

Why offer both when it still might be the best offer SA gets. If they don't trade him, we will get him next year for nothing.
Aside from what the Lakers offer, the Spurs will consider:
1) what other teams will offer for a one-year rental, and
2) Kawhi's value as a one-year rental to the Spurs (plus the chance they get in on a S&T next year or the chance that he changes his mind and elects to stay).

If the Spurs think that 2) is championship contention this year, then they had better be really high on Ingram and Kuzma to consider that offer.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:09 PM

The Lakers apparently have reached out to the Spurs now about Kawhi.

I do feel something big is going to happen there, but sadly I wish they wouldn't trade away their young talent just when they are starting to show great promise together as a team (Ball, Ingram).

Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,293,582 times
The Spurs need to get something really big for a Kawhi trade. Tony and Manu are going to retire soon. Pop might also retire too. The Spurs need a superstar, a star and young up and comers.

I don't see them getting anything of value since Kawhi has stated that he wants to be a laker. No team is going to gamble a 1 year rental. (maybe the Cavs)

Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,036,738 times
Spurs need to unload Leonard and soon. All he's done here is cause damage. I doubt there will be many fans signing up for tickets to watch some loser play that won't give it his best effort and is planning on leaving. They're more likely to pay for tickets to watch a young inexperienced team play their hearts out though. Let's just say it like it is, the NBA Championships will not be won by a Spurs team for the next several years, if then. The Spurs need to rebuild and they don't need a disease in the ranks and that's all Leonard brings to the game now. Get rid of the bad apple and play ball. BUT, FWIW, RC Buford, general manager for the Spurs says Leonard will be wearing a Spurs uniform next year. Bad decision there RC. Bad attitude is something the Spurs have never had in the ranks. It's always been about the best for the team. Leonard doesn't give a crap about the Spurs or the fans. He's nothing that the Spurs culture represents. Get rid of the trash and get new blood in. A complete dumbass would know that.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:41 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,829,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
This isn't about money, Kawhi is already turning down the best super max offer he can get from SA. It is about where he now wants to play.
Ofcourse it's not about money. Kawhi is actually extremely frugal. It's about Kawhi using an excuse (quad injury) as a scapegoat to get out of an aging San Antonio Spurs organization for a young talented Lakers organization in one of the best cities in the country

I'm born and raised from San Antonio and our fans are delusional with thinking Kawhi owes us anything. He gave us the ring several years ago as finals MVP, he doesn't want to be stuck with geriatric players. Tony is old, Manu is old, and Aldrige is no Tim Duncan.

Steven A smith brought up an interesting point. He said organizations don't want to make it a habit into giving into a stars demands like they did with Kyrie Irving. Well, when you're a star you can do that.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM

7,704 posts, read 4,564,490 times
Itís time we admit that Tony Parker is the worst teammate in NBA history...banging teammatesí wives, chasing superstars out of town. The. Worst.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Itís time we admit that Tony Parker is the worst teammate in NBA history...banging teammatesí wives, chasing superstars out of town. The. Worst.
Because Parker called out Kawhi for not playing? It wasn't only him, Manu was also frustrated with the whole situation and Kawhi. These are two proud guys who played through a lot of injuries, some that were just as bad as Kawhi's. Even Bruce Bowen, a former Spurs great, called out Kawhi recently for not traveling with the team and doing rehab elsewhere.

Anyways, Kawhi is really insistent on going to the Lakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball