U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,641,338 times

Advertisements

I used to be a huge NBA fan but now I could care less. First of all there are so many commercials its insane. Stoppage after stoppage, throw in the ball foul then 5 mins of commercials, time out more commercials. Second there are a few super teams that all the stars want to play on and everyone else gets the scraps and has zero chance to win. If you are a Rockets, Warriors, Cavs or Celtics fan, its great. If you are a fan of any other team good luck. Knicks and Lakers have been bad for a while. You try and field a team and your superstar doesn't want to play in your non mecca so they demand a trade and there goes your team. Indiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Denver, Utah, Atlanta, Philadelphia?, Orlando, Portland, adios superstars, hello mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 08:14 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
It seems like professional sports in general have quickly cut-down their TV market to those who have the time to spend 4-hours watching 45-minutes of football, basketball, baseball, etc.. With my 6-station DVR, I haven't watched a live sports game for years (and very few other stations).

If I had to watch live TV, including all of the inane, mind-numbing commercials, I would simply stop watching TV altogether.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,916,775 times
Dominant teams-Yes, but lots of teams make the playoffs and the games are usually competitive.

Mute the commercials, talk with friends, get up and wonder around-you're not a captive to the breaks. I don't watch the halftime show either.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:16 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,388 times
The worst part is that there is almost zero strategy now. It's a bunch of hero ball, 3 pt shooting contests and isn't at all fun to watch.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,108,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I used to be a huge NBA fan but now I could care less.
I'm pretty sure the NBA will survive if you don't watch. There are millions upon millions that disagree with you.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 AM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
I used to be a huge NBA fan but now I could care less. First of all there are so many commercials its insane. Stoppage after stoppage, throw in the ball foul then 5 mins of commercials, time out more commercials. Second there are a few super teams that all the stars want to play on and everyone else gets the scraps and has zero chance to win. If you are a Rockets, Warriors, Cavs or Celtics fan, its great. If you are a fan of any other team good luck. Knicks and Lakers have been bad for a while. You try and field a team and your superstar doesn't want to play in your non mecca so they demand a trade and there goes your team. Indiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Denver, Utah, Atlanta, Philadelphia?, Orlando, Portland, adios superstars, hello mediocrity.
When is the last time a superstar demanded a trade to a mecca? Other than Durant to GSW, most of the marquee free-agents haven't gone to the mega-markets. When is the last time one of the top free-agents chose NY(which has two teams), LA(also two teams), or Chicago. Players move to good basketball situations, not big cities. Big-market/small-market is s thing of the past.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,494,695 times
Quote:
Here is what I do with sporting events that are top-heavy with commercials... I DVR them and watch them later. Sometimes I will watch the game as it is being played but an hour or so late. I am watching play that was an hour earlier even though the game is still being played. I started this practice when I owned a video cassette player. I figure that have gone my whole life without seeing the particular game, I can wait another hour or so. As for the NBA, it is a game that is essentially impossible to referee accurately. Human eyes can't do it. So if you are an NBA fan, you have to accept the fact that your team may have deserved to win the game but the difficulty with refereeing might make it so that the wrong team wins. This is true with many sports: baseball, football, etc., but basketball is the worst offender. The only games where referees and umps are basically a non-factor are some track and field events... throw the javelin farther, you win, out sprint the guy in the lane next to you, you win. I guess I am a purest because I do not watch pro basketball for this reason.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 PM

1,569 posts, read 824,203 times
During the regular season I watch the 10-minute replays on Youtube. They give me a good picture of the important players on each team without taking too much of my time. The sports leagues are making official highlight videos to undercut the unofficial videos.

For the NBA, I just want to see the seeding reworked so the top 16 teams are represented in the playoffs, to make the games more interesting and competitive.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Both conference finals are going to a game seven. Everyone just assumed the Warriors would steamroll everything since October. If you don’t appreciate these playoffs, you never will.
Also calling the current era “hero ball” is a joke when the most successful teams of the recent era are the Spurs, Warriors and now Celtics, all known for their ball movement.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 PM

92 posts, read 99,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Both conference finals are going to a game seven. Everyone just assumed the Warriors would steamroll everything since October. If you don’t appreciate these playoffs, you never will.
Also calling the current era “hero ball” is a joke when the most successful teams of the recent era are the Spurs, Warriors and now Celtics, all known for their ball movement.
Only one moving the ball in GS is curry, without him it is a 1-1 basketball of Durant/Thompson.
OP is right, the basketball level is really bad, it looks like street basketball. Ball goes to Harden/Paul/Lebron/Durant and the rest move aside...
Might be interesting to see who wins, but the it ain't what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or