U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
For some reason, I don't see a deflated Cavs team this team has been down 1-0 and 2-1 to the Pacers then 2-0 and 3-2 to the Celtics so this ain't nothing new to them so this is a resilient team. Last year's Cavs team wasn't resilient yes they were more talented but not resilient. This team has a lot of fight in them. Yeah, they're upset because it's in the heat of the moment, but after they calm down I think they'll be encouraged not discouraged I know you're gonna say it's the Warriors but they had to have the refs to beat them.
LOL! 10 days ago...

Quote:
Why Do Fans Blame the Refs When a Team Loses?I was reading comments on YouTube while watching the Celtics/Cavs highlights. A lot people in the comments section were saying, "It was rigged" and "The Celtics lost Game 3 because of the refs." It's almost the same thing when the Cavs and Warriors faced off in The Finals. Why do fans say that when one team wins and the other team loses?
Why Do Fans Blame the Refs When a Team Loses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
How many times did Lebron go one on one vs Curry, Looney, McGee and West?

Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,019,168 times
The game ruined my night and all of Friday so far. I have not disliked a team like GS since like forever. All the calls are one way and freak injuries every year. Why oh why??

Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I was thinking 6 as well, but I really thought Warriors would take this first home game by a larger margin. And here were are in OT. I don't think my heart can take it
The Cavs have to get a lot better defensively to tkae it to 6. LBJ went unconscious from 3 and there was late game drama, but the Cavs made a lot of tough shots and the Warriors missed a lot of shots that are usually good for them. Whining about the refs or pointing to moral victories just papers over the fundmental Cavs problems on display last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
What are the odds a 80 percent shooter misses the most important FT of his life and than a vet grabs a rebound and forgets the game is tied.
An 80% FT shooter misses one of the two shots about 1/3 of the time. JR Smith is not exactly the most savvy vet around--ask a Knicks fan about his BBIQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Several thoughts:

1. I knew the Cavs wouldn't just lie down and let the Warriors roll over them. They fought hard and it was a good game. I was not one of those who whined about how basketball is no longer watchable, nor was I one of those who thought the Dubs would have an easy time over the Cavs, so please don't lump me in with those guys.

2. This was a truly heartbreaking loss for James and the Cavs. That mental blunder by JR will haunt them for a while, an opportunity to win the game. Also Hill missing the free throw for a chance to have a one point lead.

3. That was a heartbreaking loss for the Cavs, but I expect the Cavs to bounce back.
1. Yes, we still have one of the best players ever and one of the greatest teams ever facing off in a best of 7 series for the title. The Cavs need to get better to compete for this title, though.

2. They lost a close and important game. It's tough in the moment, but they will take the next couple of days to practice and study film and be ready to play the rest of this series.

3. Agreed, but Lue needs to make some changes. Clarkson can't be trusted with minutes when LBJ is on the floor. Korver needs more time. And the P&R defense has to be a lot better--more communication and more help in the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Cavs may have blown their shot. Warriors win game 2 and itís probably over.
It's still the first to 4 and we're still in Oakland. The Cavs need to win one game in Oakland to win this series. But they have more opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Thought I was the only one who noticed this. It was like a Patriots game. All the calls were fairly consistent....until the most crucial points of the game when the Warriors looked to be in serious jeopardy of losing. The reach in on LBJ on the defensive end (clean strip, should have been no call) put two points on the board for GS, then on the very next possession for Cleveland, a no call against GS for a blatant reach in on James took potentially two points off the board for the Cavs. Instant four-point swing in the closing minutes right there. That was then followed up with a very questionable blocking call on James (which was originally called a charge on Durant). And another bogus reach in on Hill after a clean strip of Durant in OT.

But I guess everything potentially could have been avoided if Hill made the second free throw with four seconds left, and if Smith had kept track of the score.
Please . . .

I think LeBron's strip was clean, but I'm not surprised it was called. I also think KD had a clean strip of LBJ that was called, but I'm not surprised that one was called, either.

The block was clearly a block. LBJ was not in legal guarding position at any point before the shot began. The process was highly unusual, but they got the call right in the end. I think Hill was fouling KD, but it was close. It looked like his off hand was on KD's shooting arm and his swipe may have made wrist contact. It's a call the officials will make 9 times out of 10.

Draymond got whistled for a foul on an LBJ drive that looked like a clean shot defense.

Point is: refs miss calls. There really was nothing egregious here. It doesn't help that the NBA's national announcers (who are all pretty bad, except for Doris & Mike Breen), have taken to critiquing the officiating without paying close attention. They provide fuel for the most boring chatter.

Quote:
There wouldn't be no Smith or Hill if Tony Brothers would've stuck with the charge call, which it was a charge. LeBron had beaten him, he was in legal position and he was outside the restricted area. Tony Brothers is the worst ref in the NBA, I've seen a lot of games he officiated and he's always been horrible.
That was definitely a block. The process was unusual, but the call came out correctly.

Quote:
I'm not one to cry about fouls but some of these calls were beyond ludicrous.

How about Green raking James across the eyes, there was a visible blood spot on James' left eye.

Not only that but also the charge that was later changed to a foul for Durant, that was a huge one.

But in the end the Cavs have only themselves to blame. Both teams had 18 fouls called against each other. Hill missed a free throw and JR made a horrible, horrible mental mistake.

But I expect the Cavs to come out fighting again in game 2.
Green was correctly called for a foul on the eye poke.

The block was definitely a block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This could very well be James' worst Cavs team since he got swept by the Spurs in what was that 07?? I'm not sure what's worse: a team with 2 sure fire hall of famer's and 4 all-NBA players needed a complete mental lapse to force OT and win against the bad team on the other end of the court of the fact that James scored 51 points and they STILL lost the game. Doesn't bode well. Contrary to what I said earlier this actually turned out to be a pretty good game and while I don't think ratings will be as good this year as they were in 15, 16 and even 17, I think game 1 at least drew in pretty decent ratings. I'm still ready for 2 new teams in the finals next year though: This Cavs team just isn't good, LeBron can't do it all (as proven tonight) and the Warriors just don't care. It's probably not going to happen this series, and probably not going to happen in round 1 next year, but somewhere down the line, their laisse-faire approach thinking because they've got 4 All NBA players on the court, they've already won the game before it started, so coach Kerr can go talk about Trump and the NFL anthem policy instead of focusing on said game plan is going to bite them in the behind. It could've happened tonight, it could've happened if Paul doesn't get hurt, but somewhere down the line it is going to happen. And seriously has any team benefited more from injuries to opponents star players then the Warriors have?? Kawhi last 2 years, Irving in 15, DeMarcus Cousins this year, Paul for games 6 & 7.
Clarkson has impressively matched JR Smith's low BBIQ. Nance looks good and could use minutes. TT has found himself again. Korver needs more minutes.

Injuries affect every NBA season. The Pels were better without Cousins this year. He just doesn't fit well next to AD. The Warriors would have beat the Spurs with Kawhi. They beat the Cavs in game 1 in '15, which Kyrie did play. CP3's loss was tough for the Rockets, but what are you going to do? You play the team in front of you. And I would really like to see Iguodala back in the Warriors lineup.

Quote:
I agree with some of the stuff that you're saying. But, LeBron did go 0/4 to start OT, I give him props for the 51 points but you still have to be step for the 5 extra minutes. We gotta stop give all the glory when his team wins but giving the supporting cast all the blame when the team loses. Because the last time I checked, it's a team game; you can't separate the team from the individual.
Seriously. KD had a bad shooting night, but the Warriors defended well and spent plenty of time with Curry dicing up the Cavs' D off of the P&R.

Quote:
Warriors team stats:

31 assists
95% free throws
36% three pointers
51% field goal
7 turnovers

Cavs:

18 assists
72% FT
27% 3 PT
44% FG
11 TO

The Warriors had four in double figures (their starters). The Cavs only had two in double figures.

And yet, the Warriors were lucky to win this one really.

I know the naysayers will continue to predict doom and gloom for the Cavs and this series, almost hoping the Dubs demolish the Cavs the next three games for a sweep, simply to fit their pre finals narrative that this was going to be a terrible, mismatched, and boring series no one wanted to see.

Well, those naysayers were already proven dead wrong for game 1, a moral victory for the Cavs.
d
I don't think the "JR incident" will hurt the Cavs for rest of the finals. They have been pretty resilient this whole post season. Who's to say that if JR tried a put back it would have went it? Or that if a timeout was called, they would have scored? I'm more upset Hill missed that free throw and the reversed call on James.

I think the Cavs will bounce back for next game, but for sure back home.
The Warriors need to do a better job of securing rebounds. I think they could use Zaza to neutralize TT on the boards. The Warriors shot better, protected the ball better, passed better, and defended better. That's a recipe for winning as long as you secure the rebound off of misses.

The Cavs need to improve defensively and they need to play Korver more. Clarkson needs to be on a much tighter leash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Haha. This isn't a young team in search of confidence!

Lebron, Love, Thompson, JR- Four of the guys doing a lot of the heavy lifting have been to FOUR straight NBA Finals.

The best opportunity for the Cavs to win:

1)fix the interior defensive lapses. The Cavs are notorious for using Games 1 as the "feel out" game. They could easily be 0-5 in their last five series in Game 1s if not for Toronto collapsing at the end. The best opportunity is not GS shooting 51% like they did.

2)Play Jeff Green and Lebron more on Durant. I expect Durant to come back strong in Game 2.

3) If JR is going to give you the mental lapses and bad defensive awareness. Play Korver.

4) T Thompson had a few moments, but he was getting burned on switches in the 1st and spent too many occasions to recall underneath the basket and not able to put the ball in the basket and at the very least hold onto the ball. I'm interested to see what transpires if he's out for Game 2.

5) I wouldn't call this a "clutch" performance. That would ignore some major lapses from the Cavs and let's be honest "help" from the Refs. If I had to break down the Game the Warriors won the end of the 2nd period to the middle of the 3rd. The Game was either even or Cavs advantage at all other points.
1) Could not agree more.

2) I really liked Hill's work on KD, too.

3) Could not agree more.

4) It's tough: what he (and the rest of the Cavs) gave up on the defensive end, he made up for with offensive rebounding. Nance is a good alternative, though.

5) The Warrios also dominated OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How many times did Lebron go one on one vs Curry, Looney, McGee and West?
Often. Curry held up well--as well as you can hope for. Looney was not very good, but I think he will be better in Game 2. The Warriors survived McGee, but I don't want to see that again. There weren't that many with West that I remember. Livingston got torched in those one-on-ones.

As for the KD mid-post ISO: Kerr has spent a lot of time this season working on his changeup--the KD mid-post ISO. Now he's enamored with it even though he has the most dominant fastball in the history of the NBA: the Curry high P&R. It's inexcusable when he's playing against a team that can't hit the fastball. The Warriors are talented enough to win this way, but there is no reason to put the shackles on his offense like this.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,465,159 times
The Warriors are absolutely odious to me as a Cleveland fan and basketball fan. They make my feelings toward the Yankees seem like mild dislike, which is saying something.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:32 PM

8,109 posts, read 5,305,796 times
who won the fashion game though??

LeBron James wears Thom Browne shorts suit to Game 1 of NBA Finals, Cavaliers wear cropped trousers | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,873,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Cavs have to get a lot better defensively to tkae it to 6. LBJ went unconscious from 3 and there was late game drama, but the Cavs made a lot of tough shots and the Warriors missed a lot of shots that are usually good for them. Whining about the refs or pointing to moral victories just papers over the fundmental Cavs problems on display last night.

An 80% FT shooter misses one of the two shots about 1/3 of the time. JR Smith is not exactly the most savvy vet around--ask a Knicks fan about his BBIQ.

1. Yes, we still have one of the best players ever and one of the greatest teams ever facing off in a best of 7 series for the title. The Cavs need to get better to compete for this title, though.

2. They lost a close and important game. It's tough in the moment, but they will take the next couple of days to practice and study film and be ready to play the rest of this series.

3. Agreed, but Lue needs to make some changes. Clarkson can't be trusted with minutes when LBJ is on the floor. Korver needs more time. And the P&R defense has to be a lot better--more communication and more help in the paint.

It's still the first to 4 and we're still in Oakland. The Cavs need to win one game in Oakland to win this series. But they have more opportunities.

Please . . .

I think LeBron's strip was clean, but I'm not surprised it was called. I also think KD had a clean strip of LBJ that was called, but I'm not surprised that one was called, either.

The block was clearly a block. LBJ was not in legal guarding position at any point before the shot began. The process was highly unusual, but they got the call right in the end. I think Hill was fouling KD, but it was close. It looked like his off hand was on KD's shooting arm and his swipe may have made wrist contact. It's a call the officials will make 9 times out of 10.

Draymond got whistled for a foul on an LBJ drive that looked like a clean shot defense.

Point is: refs miss calls. There really was nothing egregious here. It doesn't help that the NBA's national announcers (who are all pretty bad, except for Doris & Mike Breen), have taken to critiquing the officiating without paying close attention. They provide fuel for the most boring chatter.

That was definitely a block. The process was unusual, but the call came out correctly.

Green was correctly called for a foul on the eye poke.

The block was definitely a block.

Clarkson has impressively matched JR Smith's low BBIQ. Nance looks good and could use minutes. TT has found himself again. Korver needs more minutes.

Injuries affect every NBA season. The Pels were better without Cousins this year. He just doesn't fit well next to AD. The Warriors would have beat the Spurs with Kawhi. They beat the Cavs in game 1 in '15, which Kyrie did play. CP3's loss was tough for the Rockets, but what are you going to do? You play the team in front of you. And I would really like to see Iguodala back in the Warriors lineup.

Seriously. KD had a bad shooting night, but the Warriors defended well and spent plenty of time with Curry dicing up the Cavs' D off of the P&R.

The Warriors need to do a better job of securing rebounds. I think they could use Zaza to neutralize TT on the boards. The Warriors shot better, protected the ball better, passed better, and defended better. That's a recipe for winning as long as you secure the rebound off of misses.

The Cavs need to improve defensively and they need to play Korver more. Clarkson needs to be on a much tighter leash.

1) Could not agree more.

2) I really liked Hill's work on KD, too.

3) Could not agree more.

4) It's tough: what he (and the rest of the Cavs) gave up on the defensive end, he made up for with offensive rebounding. Nance is a good alternative, though.

5) The Warrios also dominated OT.

Often. Curry held up well--as well as you can hope for. Looney was not very good, but I think he will be better in Game 2. The Warriors survived McGee, but I don't want to see that again. There weren't that many with West that I remember. Livingston got torched in those one-on-ones.

As for the KD mid-post ISO: Kerr has spent a lot of time this season working on his changeup--the KD mid-post ISO. Now he's enamored with it even though he has the most dominant fastball in the history of the NBA: the Curry high P&R. It's inexcusable when he's playing against a team that can't hit the fastball. The Warriors are talented enough to win this way, but there is no reason to put the shackles on his offense like this.
Everything you said was wrong. Please revise your answer.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:39 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The Warriors are absolutely odious to me as a Cleveland fan and basketball fan. They make my feelings toward the Yankees seem like mild dislike, which is saying something.
Itís Draymondís antics, Curryís fanboy following along with his celebratory gestures that are unlike a lot of great players in the league, and finally Kerr- maybe itís constant political leaning that is on display or his postgame speeches after loses. Thompson always has this sour look too.

I covered most of it I think

Old 06-01-2018, 01:49 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
Warriors win game 2 and the Cavs pretty much need both games in Oakland. If it’s 2-0 and the Warriors win one of those two home games than it’s a 3-1 series...over.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Everything you said was wrong. Please revise your answer.
The salty tears are satisfying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or