U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,293,102 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing predictions of 'no contest, GSW over Cleveland,' GSW sweep, etc. that seem quite off to me. Golden State to me has looked vulnerable through the playoffs, especially against Houston. Obviously they are the favorite, but not overwhelmingly so.

If Curry's hitting his threes, they are tough to beat, but he hasn't always been doing that. He is averaging .385 for the playoffs, but seems very streaky. Generally this team has seemed to go downhill this year from previous versions. When we see Looney and Bell getting significant minutes, that should be the first clue that they have problems.

I did predict them to win the title this year. I also predicted Toronto over Cleveland, and the Cavs have proven me wrong every step of the way so far. I do also think Durant presents a challenge for the Cavs defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,782,984 times
2017 Finals
Lebron in and Iggy out - Cavs held a 13.6 point advantage per 100 possessions.
Lebron in and Iggy in - Warriors 13.2 advantage.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,021,250 times
Son, if you're going to shoot the ball don't be scared of the moment. ( Harrison Barnes flashbacks).

Old 05-30-2018, 11:56 PM

8,556 posts, read 8,893,788 times
Warriors will win 4-0, bank it!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,504,032 times
IF Golden State loses a game this series, it's because the Warriors throw a game in Cleveland to win the championship at Oracle in game 5. I'm guessing they throw game 3 or 4 in Cleveland and win the other 4 games by at least 10 points. As I've said the other night this will be a unwatchable series, the only reason it's worth watching its to watch LeBron, but that doesn't cut it for me.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM

I think this is a closer series than folks expect especially with Iggy out and maybe hobbled later. This creates a ripple effect.

Do you put KD on Lebron? Lebron can back him down and at the very least make him work harder than he wants on defense perhaps impacting his offense.

Is it the super help defender Draymond? Does this create rotation issues? Your help D has to be on point going against Lebron James.

Cavs need FOR ONCE PLEASE some of these 40% 3 Ball shooters to show up in these Finals. Korver, JR and Love need to knock down some buckets. Part of that is ball rotation if Lebron is driving effectively and finding perimeter guys the ball has to go down. If two of these theee mentioned can hit some shots each game- it would go a long way.

Cavs also need to finish at the rim and expect contact and play through it. This series part 4 now has had its moments where nothing is called at the rim and the Cavs are missing at the bucket (complaining and the Warriors are running out and hitting threes) and touchies are called on the perimeter. Cavs could easily get boat raced in a game officiated that way.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was going to say the same thing. That's like Curry being unavailable for Games 6 and 7 and Rockets fans saying, "Hey, we didn't have Ariza." CP3 is a future first ballot HOFer. Iggy is a HOF long shot. Not exactly comparable.
Except Curry is a much better player than CP3 & Iguodala is a much better player than Ariza. Otherwise, sure, the "same" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
Maybe it's because the Warriors have 4 all stars/3 for sure and one possible HOF on their roster? No other team comes close to that luxury of talent.

So, for example, when Durant is out, you're left with the team that won a title and followed it up with 73 wins the next season.

Remove Curry, and you still have the 2nd best player in the game + 2 other players in the top 20.

Life isn't fair. Neither are the Warriors compilation of talent in comparison to the rest of the league. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that the Warriors are judged differently when it comes to all things basketball, including injuries.
I've got KD at #4 in the NBA and could be convinced that he's #5. Draymond is fringe top 10 and Klay is fringe top 15. This is the best and smartest roster ever assembled. There is a steep drop to the replacements. Curry's replacement is a D-league point guard. Klay's replacement is Nick Young. KD's replacement is Pat McCaw. Draymond's replacement is Kevon Looney. Iguodala's replacement is Pat McCaw or one of the bigs (Looney, Zaza, Javale). There is a huge dropoff if one of the Warriors' top 5 can't go. They've been able to manage, both in the regular season and in the playoffs--including against a great Rockets team. But it clearly changes who they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm hearing predictions of 'no contest, GSW over Cleveland,' GSW sweep, etc. that seem quite off to me. Golden State to me has looked vulnerable through the playoffs, especially against Houston. Obviously they are the favorite, but not overwhelmingly so.

If Curry's hitting his threes, they are tough to beat, but he hasn't always been doing that. He is averaging .385 for the playoffs, but seems very streaky. Generally this team has seemed to go downhill this year from previous versions. When we see Looney and Bell getting significant minutes, that should be the first clue that they have problems.

I did predict them to win the title this year. I also predicted Toronto over Cleveland, and the Cavs have proven me wrong every step of the way so far. I do also think Durant presents a challenge for the Cavs defense.
Cleveland needs a slow, choppy game with lots of fouls to make this close. They won't outrun or outshoot the Warriors. They can't match the Warriors' talent. They need to decrease the possession count and limit transition opportunities.

Looney can play. Bell is still young, but shows a lot of promise. Livingston's fallen off, and just doesn't have it anymore. Pat McCaw didn't improve much and has been missing to injury for some time. If the Cavs play Tristan Thompson, the Warriors can keep a traditional big in, which will be helpful for their lineups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think this is a closer series than folks expect especially with Iggy out and maybe hobbled later. This creates a ripple effect.

Do you put KD on Lebron? Lebron can back him down and at the very least make him work harder than he wants on defense perhaps impacting his offense.

Is it the super help defender Draymond? Does this create rotation issues? Your help D has to be on point going against Lebron James.

Cavs need FOR ONCE PLEASE some of these 40% 3 Ball shooters to show up in these Finals. Korver, JR and Love need to knock down some buckets. Part of that is ball rotation if Lebron is driving effectively and finding perimeter guys the ball has to go down. If two of these theee mentioned can hit some shots each game- it would go a long way.

Cavs also need to finish at the rim and expect contact and play through it. This series part 4 now has had its moments where nothing is called at the rim and the Cavs are missing at the bucket (complaining and the Warriors are running out and hitting threes) and touchies are called on the perimeter. Cavs could easily get boat raced in a game officiated that way.
Draymond will be the LBJ matchup whenever possible. The Cavs will try to get switches featuring Curry. Curry will try to make LeBron's dribble uncomfortable and put up enough resistance to give the help time to arrive. The Warriors have a lot more experience than the Celtics, and play better defense as a team. Korver is unlikely to be as wide open as he frequently was in the ECF. The Warriors are probably happy with JR Smith shooting until he gets hot. KD probably spends time on Love and the Cavs might try to bring Love into the paint in response.

On the other end, I think the Warriors need to involve LeBron in the defense and make him work. Curry-Dray P&R that force LBJ to handle on-ball defense would be great. If the Cavs have the audacity to put LeBron on KD, use the Curry-KD P&R with some KD mid-post mixed in. Get LBJ tired and force him to defend scorers in space.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM

17,319 posts, read 10,246,537 times
Yup these Cavs aren't the joke some here are making them out to be.

They will give the Dubs a good challenge.

Like I mentioned before, one of the big reasons why the Cavs were able to defeat the Warriors in game 7 of the 2016 finals was because Andre was dealing with a back issue and wasn't as effective against LeBron. Not only is Andre a key to the Warrior offensive system, he is a great defender.

Astute observers above noted the huge difference Andre makes against the Cavs.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM

I expect Green to be on Durant and I hope his familiarity (being a teammate) with him helps the Cavs have quietly done okay with some of these bargain basement acquisitions like Jeff Green and Jose Calderon (regular seasons shouldering PG load).

Jeff Green was specifically brought in for a series like this

The Cavs have had key components injured, the HC out, integrated new pieces and dealt with a Star leaving and getting new faces acclimated to bigger roles...playoff time they play a team in Indiana that has historically played them well and tough

And they won 50 games.

Fans needed to relax.

They may not have the firepower but this is still a very good team with MVP of league on its team

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 05-31-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Except Curry is a much better player than CP3 & Iguodala is a much better player than Ariza. Otherwise, sure, the "same" thing.

I've got KD at #4 in the NBA and could be convinced that he's #5. Draymond is fringe top 10 and Klay is fringe top 15. This is the best and smartest roster ever assembled. There is a steep drop to the replacements. Curry's replacement is a D-league point guard. Klay's replacement is Nick Young. KD's replacement is Pat McCaw. Draymond's replacement is Kevon Looney. Iguodala's replacement is Pat McCaw or one of the bigs (Looney, Zaza, Javale). There is a huge dropoff if one of the Warriors' top 5 can't go. They've been able to manage, both in the regular season and in the playoffs--including against a great Rockets team. But it clearly changes who they are.

Cleveland needs a slow, choppy game with lots of fouls to make this close. They won't outrun or outshoot the Warriors. They can't match the Warriors' talent. They need to decrease the possession count and limit transition opportunities.

Looney can play. Bell is still young, but shows a lot of promise. Livingston's fallen off, and just doesn't have it anymore. Pat McCaw didn't improve much and has been missing to injury for some time. If the Cavs play Tristan Thompson, the Warriors can keep a traditional big in, which will be helpful for their lineups.

Draymond will be the LBJ matchup whenever possible. The Cavs will try to get switches featuring Curry. Curry will try to make LeBron's dribble uncomfortable and put up enough resistance to give the help time to arrive. The Warriors have a lot more experience than the Celtics, and play better defense as a team. Korver is unlikely to be as wide open as he frequently was in the ECF. The Warriors are probably happy with JR Smith shooting until he gets hot. KD probably spends time on Love and the Cavs might try to bring Love into the paint in response.

On the other end, I think the Warriors need to involve LeBron in the defense and make him work. Curry-Dray P&R that force LBJ to handle on-ball defense would be great. If the Cavs have the audacity to put LeBron on KD, use the Curry-KD P&R with some KD mid-post mixed in. Get LBJ tired and force him to defend scorers in space.
I Agree with this. I HOPE Lue doesn’t use 1st Quarters to get love going in the post. The Cavs typically do it backwards. He should be parked in the corner catching and shooting or attacking the rim without the ball on cuts to basket off of Lebron drives. The back down hook game especially early on has deflated this offense.

I definitely agree with any game plan that attempts to wear Lebron down. I hope the Cavs hide him a little (if they can) on that end.

Cavs need to come out strong they’ve had too many game 1 let’s feel out the opponent moments this playoff and last years final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or