U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 06:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I've realized that Lebron won't ever win Ring #4, just isn't going to happen
Yeah, unless he joins the Dubs (which he won't) or if LeBron is on an Eastern team in the Finals and 3 or 4 of the Dubs all-stars are hurt and can't play at all in the Finals, but I don't wish injuries on anybody, he ain't winning that 4th ring.

I think he might as well just retire and start the whole movie career/NBA team owner thing (whatever happened to Space Jam 2?). I realize I'm a nobody, and what I say means absolutely nothing, but when people like LeBron, who supposed has a billion dollar deal with Nike, wants a max or supermax deal, it's kind of ridiculous.

The best is when people like that complain to management/ownership who can't afford to sign other "good" players because of the salary cap/luxury tax. With people like LeBron, who is just chasing that ghost/GOAT of Jordan at this point and makes crazy money outside of his playing salary in endorsements, I would just take $20 million or less, per season to play (easy for me to say!).

Him making $30/40+ million a year, only hurts his team, just look at Kobe and his last two years with the Lakers and his contract, he definitely got his money, no doubt, but it also dug a deep whole for the Lakers to have to climb out of, and the team was just horrible over those years.

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-10-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM

1,101 posts, read 400,027 times
LBJ to Boston Nnnnnnoooooooooooooooo !!!! Boston is a team!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:49 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now it's revealed LeBron had a badly damaged right hand from punching something in anger after game 1.

At this point, I'm sure in LeBron's mind, he is still chasing Jordan's legacy of six rings. At his level and legacy so far, the only thing that seems to motivate him is getting at least a few more rings in order to further cement his status as the greatest ever.

Nothing wrong with that at all. He knows there is some urgency, as he turns 34, you never know how his body will respond and how much longer he can play hard every single game. I really don't see him remaining with the Cavaliers as they are hopeless.

The main question is, and something no one is able to answer, will LeBron sacrifice his stats for the sake of greater personal glory in championships? LeBron is a ball dominant player, and unless he is willing to cut his minutes and stats for the sake of other up and comers and established stars, I don't see him fitting with teams like the Celtics or the Sixers. That issue has been discussed before. He still wants to be THE man and that includes being the team leader in points, assists, rebounds, etc.
LBJ is the man. There is only one team in the league where he would have to fit in instead of the team figuring out how to accommodate him. He's not going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, there's definite people out there, include 'burb, who believe that, I'm definitely not one of them, but you know what they say about opinions, everybody's got one!

Heck, I'm probably a "Debbie downer" or pessimist when it comes to LeBron, and I realize "luck", a call here or there, injuries/etc. are all apart of the game, but LeBron could easily be 1-8 in NBA Finals if San Antonio didn't do some bonehead things at the end of Game 6 of the 2013 Finals and the Dubs didn't choke after being up 3-1 in the 2016 Finals, oh well.
But he's not 1-8, he's 3-6. Every title involves a few dice rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Yeah the Spurs finished that Game 6 like a bunch of high school kids, probably the most unclutch finish ever, definitely a gift to LeBron.
73win Warriors, well they proved why the regular season hardly matters, and why they needed Durant, because their "all-time great shooters" couldn't handle the big stage.
The 73 win team was banged up, suspended, and featured the Harrison Barnes ice cold Finals. They were still inches from winning.

Quote:
My point is that there will be an *asterisk* in the minds of everyone when we look at all these rings once Durant arrived.
Just keep telling yourself that. There is no asterisk for the Heatles, for the Kobe Shaq-Lakers, for the Rodman-Kukoc Bulls, or for the Magic-Kareem Lakers. History remembers the wins, not how the stars aligned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
I am glad the Warriors were able to repeat, but I'm disappointed that the Cavs didn't even try to stop them. Both Conference Finals series were the true Finals this year.

With Golden State always looking for ways to improve their roster, I don't see them losing the West anytime soon. Even though Houston pushed them to seven games, it was only because Andre Iguodala was hurt. Would've been relatively easy had he been healthy. That being said, I'd like to see the Warriors face someone new in the Finals next year. Philly or Boston would be a great match up for them. The Celtics especially would give Golden State a fight when fully healthy.
It's stunning that no one in the East can beat these Cavs. Toronto and Boston have to be very disappointed that they could not beat that team.

This offseason could see two new western contenders arrive, or it could see Houston collapse as a counterweight to the Dubs.

One thing is certain: there will be a new team coming out of the East next year.

Quote:
The year the Warriors won 73 games, Draymond Green got suspended, and Curry was hurt. Had those been avoided and the Warriors had won the 2016 NBA title, there's no way Durant would be with the team right now. Who knows what would've happened. Durant may have re-signed with OKC, or even joined Boston.
Bogut was injured, Iguodala's back was giving him trouble, and Harrison Barnes went as ice-cold as humanly possible. A perfect storm that resulted in the Warriors losing in '16, and maybe the tipping point in the Warriors acquiring Durant (maybe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Yeah, CP3, the Rockets true leader, being hurt had nothing to do with the Warriors winning. At least be objective. Paul is much more important to the Rockets than Iguodala is to the Warriors. My bet is the warriors don’t make the finals next year. Can only hope Lebron goes to the Lakers or Rockets.
If Iguodala never got hurt, I think the Warriors win in 5 or 6. But he did get hurt, then CP3 got hurt, and the Warriors won in 7. I don't see LBJ to Houston working out in terms of trade packages. The numbers just don't seem to add up to me.

Quote:
You put Lebron and either Chris Paul, Kawhi or Paul george on the Lakers and they’re competing immediately with the Warriors. May not beat them next year, but They’re immediately better than this Cavs team just by adding Lebron. Everyone in warrior land likes to bring up Draymond getting suspended and oh poor curry had a sore ankle when they lost in 2016. So the six t’s Draymond got before they played the Cavs was all game 4’s refs fault. Ok, sure whatever. The fact is that the warriors beat a Kyrie and love-less team in 2015 and then just dominated last year. I’ll give them that. But Rockets were really looking good to beat the warriors this year until he went down. We’ll see next year. The odds are not in the Warriors favor. Runs like this don’t last and time is about up.
The most plausible new contender to the Warriors is a Lakers team that signs LBJ and one of Kawhi/Paul George, then trades Deng, Ball, and Ingram to bring back borderline all-star (Kevin Love?) veteran talent. That team will still need some rotation players, but is a contender on paper.

The Warriors are going to be a contender.

The Rockets are at risk of a step backwards, and have some tough questions to answer this off-season.

Quote:
Lakers fans don’t have to have wet dreams like warriors fans. Everyone knows which organization is better over the long run evidenced by the number of titles and domination in the 80s and 2000s, and 65 years ago in Minneapolis.

The thing is the warriors fans are cry babies and were still complaining about getting robbed in 2016 even after landing Durant. They don’t even acknowledge beating Cleveland without Kyrie and love in 2015 or beating the rockets without chris Paul. Curry is a whiner with his antics on the court throwing his mouthpiece and incessant complaining. Picking fights with an over the hill Perkins on the bench because what he should move his feet because curry is in Cleveland’s bench. Whatever.

At least Lakers fans acknowledge the kings got robbed in 2002 and called out what punks they were after losing to the Mavs in 2011. Give it time the warriors will go away. Next year? 2 years? Like I said enjoy it while it lasts and try not to be such a spoiled winner like all their fans are right now.
Speaking as a Warriors fan, I'm enjoying the actual success of the team in the present, not an imagined future or a distant past.

Quote:
I think LeBron would prefer to stay out East. The West is not called the "Wild West" for nothing. Got so many teams capable of winning championships besides the Warriors. It was Curry's knee that was the major problem for him that year, and Draymond Green's suspension combined with Steph not being 100% did indeed lead to their ultimate downfall. Had they won however, KD would not be there. He might still be with OKC or even in Boston. Don't forget that Iguodala was also hurt, and he's a key defensive player on Golden State. Odds not in Golden State's favor? I'm afraid you're wrong about that. Time is not even close to up for the Warriors. Should they keep everyone together, recruit free agents, and stay relatively healthy, they'll be dominant for at least another four to five years. That being said, I'm not saying they'll win titles every year. They'll just be contenders for titles.
For basketball fit, Boston is almost certainly the right answer (other than the unspeakable), but there are hurdles. And I'm not sure how much LBJ will prioritize basketball fit vs. control vs. family life vs. legacy.

Quote:
Yeah, unless he joins the Dubs (which he won't) or if LeBron is on an Eastern team in the Finals and 3 or 4 of the Dubs all-stars are hurt and can't play at all in the Finals, but I don't wish injuries on anybody, he ain't winning that 4th ring.

I think he might as well just retire and start the whole movie career/NBA team owner thing (whatever happened to Space Jam 2?). I realize I'm a nobody, and what I say means absolutely nothing, but when people like LeBron, who supposed has a billion dollar deal with Nike, wants a max or supermax deal, it's kind of ridiculous.

The best is when people like that complain to management/ownership who can't afford to sign other "good" players because of the salary cap/luxury tax. With people like LeBron, who is just chasing that ghost/GOAT of Jordan at this point and makes crazy money outside of his playing salary in endorsements, I would just take $20 million or less, per season to play (easy for me to say!).

Him making $30/40+ million a year, only hurts his team, just look at Kobe and his last two years with the Lakers and his contract, he definitely got his money, no doubt, but it also dug a deep whole for the Lakers to have to climb out of, and the team was just horrible over those years.
It's not LBJ's fault that owners insist on a salary cap. Why should he give team owners a break? They are typically worth billions, as collective ownership groups. They don't need to sign him if they don't think he's worth it. The problem for them is that he is worth it, and much more.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 AM

498 posts, read 142,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
LBJ to Boston Nnnnnnoooooooooooooooo !!!! Boston is a team!
Kyrie would not be happy if LeBron were to go to Boston.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if he stays in the East it's probably either Cleveland (highly unlikely) or Philly.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM

17,284 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
LBJ is the man. There is only one team in the league where he would have to fit in instead of the team figuring out how to accommodate him. He's not going there.
It's a long shot but LeBron would be a great fit for the Spurs. Especially as Tony Parker is just a shadow of his former self, with LeBron the main ball handler, Leonard at the two (if he agrees to stay, highly likely), and Aldrige in the post, that's a fantastic team. Plus they got a lot of great high energy youngsters as well as veterans. A far cry from the scrubs LeBron's been carrying these past years.

Report: Gregg Popovich to ‘Force His Way’ into LeBron James Meeting

Old 06-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Kyrie would be gone if LBJ were interested in Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's a long shot but LeBron would be a great fit for the Spurs. Especially as Tony Parker is just a shadow of his former self, with LeBron the main ball handler, Leonard at the two (if he agrees to stay, highly likely), and Aldrige in the post, that's a fantastic team. Plus they got a lot of great high energy youngsters as well as veterans. A far cry from the scrubs LeBron's been carrying these past years.

Report: Gregg Popovich to ‘Force His Way’ into LeBron James Meeting
It would be Murray, Green, Kawhi, LBJ, Aldridge. They probably have to get rid of Gasol, Mills, and Rudy Gay without getting much salary back to make it happen. Gay is probably the least unattractive contract of the 3, but all are likely viewed as negative by other GMs.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,831,732 times
Quote:

Bingo and agreed. He either needs to sacrifice and take a paycut or quit while he's on top. He will not be in position to ever really win again, other teams simply can't afford him without trading away other young promising players.

Tim Duncam and Tom Brady had to sacrifice many paycuts to have competitive teams (they were already insanely rich) but Lebron wants to be a billionaire and can't do that.

Duncan and Kobe have 5 rings, if Bron wants to be in the debate with Jordan, he needs 5 rings. It's not likely because of 1 guy, Kevin Durant. Until someone can beat GSW fully healthy with KD, we have to assume no one will. This is the 3rd time he has lost to GSW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Just keep telling yourself that. There is no asterisk for the Heatles, for the Kobe Shaq-Lakers, for the Rodman-Kukoc Bulls, or for the Magic-Kareem Lakers. History remembers the wins, not how the stars aligned.
If history remembers wins then Robert Horry would be the GOAT with his #7 rings.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
If history remembers wins then Robert Horry would be the GOAT with his #7 rings.
Horry should get the "Dumb Luck" or "Being In The Right Place At The Right Time" award when it comes it accumulating NBA titles!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Bingo and agreed. He either needs to sacrifice and take a paycut or quit while he's on top. He will not be in position to ever really win again, other teams simply can't afford him without trading away other young promising players.

Tim Duncam and Tom Brady had to sacrifice many paycuts to have competitive teams (they were already insanely rich) but Lebron wants to be a billionaire and can't do that.

Duncan and Kobe have 5 rings, if Bron wants to be in the debate with Jordan, he needs 5 rings. It's not likely because of 1 guy, Kevin Durant. Until someone can beat GSW fully healthy with KD, we have to assume no one will. This is the 3rd time he has lost to GSW.

History also remembers the difference between a good role player and a star. Horry was an important cog for those titles, but he was not in a starring role.

LBJ at this stage of his career should have no interest in young, promising players. He needs proven players who can play in the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or