Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I don't see what else the Cavs can do. They gave it their best and the refs made sure they lost. Can't beat the warriors and the refs. I expect we'll see a deflated Cavs team on Sunday get destroyed. I hope I'm wrong.
For some reason, I don't see a deflated Cavs team this team has been down 1-0 and 2-1 to the Pacers then 2-0 and 3-2 to the Celtics so this ain't nothing new to them so this is a resilient team. Last year's Cavs team wasn't resilient yes they were more talented but not resilient. This team has a lot of fight in them. Yeah, they're upset because it's in the heat of the moment, but after they calm down I think they'll be encouraged not discouraged I know you're gonna say it's the Warriors but they had to have the refs to beat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:10 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
This could very well be James' worst Cavs team since he got swept by the Spurs in what was that 07?? I'm not sure what's worse: a team with 2 sure fire hall of famer's and 4 all-NBA players needed a complete mental lapse to force OT and win against the bad team on the other end of the court of the fact that James scored 51 points and they STILL lost the game. Doesn't bode well. Contrary to what I said earlier this actually turned out to be a pretty good game and while I don't think ratings will be as good this year as they were in 15, 16 and even 17, I think game 1 at least drew in pretty decent ratings. I'm still ready for 2 new teams in the finals next year though: This Cavs team just isn't good, LeBron can't do it all (as proven tonight) and the Warriors just don't care. It's probably not going to happen this series, and probably not going to happen in round 1 next year, but somewhere down the line, their laisse-faire approach thinking because they've got 4 All NBA players on the court, they've already won the game before it started, so coach Kerr can go talk about Trump and the NFL anthem policy instead of focusing on said game plan is going to bite them in the behind. It could've happened tonight, it could've happened if Paul doesn't get hurt, but somewhere down the line it is going to happen. And seriously has any team benefited more from injuries to opponents star players then the Warriors have?? Kawhi last 2 years, Irving in 15, DeMarcus Cousins this year, Paul for games 6 & 7.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This could very well be James' worst Cavs team since he got swept by the Spurs in what was that 07?? I'm not sure what's worse: a team with 2 sure fire hall of famer's and 4 all-NBA players needed a complete mental lapse to force OT and win against the bad team on the other end of the court of the fact that James scored 51 points and they STILL lost the game. Doesn't bode well. Contrary to what I said earlier this actually turned out to be a pretty good game and while I don't think ratings will be as good this year as they were in 15, 16 and even 17, I think game 1 at least drew in pretty decent ratings. I'm still ready for 2 new teams in the finals next year though: This Cavs team just isn't good, LeBron can't do it all (as proven tonight) and the Warriors just don't care. It's probably not going to happen this series, and probably not going to happen in round 1 next year, but somewhere down the line, their laisse-faire approach thinking because they've got 4 All NBA players on the court, they've already won the game before it started, so coach Kerr can go talk about Trump and the NFL anthem policy instead of focusing on said game plan is going to bite them in the behind. It could've happened tonight, it could've happened if Paul doesn't get hurt, but somewhere down the line it is going to happen. And seriously has any team benefited more from injuries to opponents star players then the Warriors have?? Kawhi last 2 years, Irving in 15, DeMarcus Cousins this year, Paul for games 6 & 7.
I agree with some of the stuff that you're saying. But, LeBron did go 0/4 to start OT, I give him props for the 51 points but you still have to be step for the 5 extra minutes. We gotta stop give all the glory when his team wins but giving the supporting cast all the blame when the team loses. Because the last time I checked, it's a team game; you can't separate the team from the individual.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
WAAAAAAAARRRRIOOOOORS!!! I was telling people this Dubs team was just too good. Not even the Jordan Bulls could stop this team with Durant draped all over Jordan and Klay making Scottie look ridiculous. This is the GOAT team. Cavs don't have a chance and will be lucky to lose a game by single digits!

WAAAAAAAARRRRRRIOOOOOORSSSSS!!!!

Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
LeBron may have played the worst OT of his career, but at least Durant didn't outscore him (they scored 2 free-throws each!).
As we recall, Durant dominated the 4th quarters of last year's Finals.
This time LeBron played a great 4th quarter (apart from passing off to a not-so-open George Hill with 5 seconds remaining) while Durant was quiet.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Warriors team stats:

31 assists
95% free throws
36% three pointers
51% field goal
7 turnovers

Cavs:

18 assists
72% FT
27% 3 PT
44% FG
11 TO

The Warriors had four in double figures (their starters). The Cavs only had two in double figures.

And yet, the Warriors were lucky to win this one really.

I know the naysayers will continue to predict doom and gloom for the Cavs and this series, almost hoping the Dubs demolish the Cavs the next three games for a sweep, simply to fit their pre finals narrative that this was going to be a terrible, mismatched, and boring series no one wanted to see.

Well, those naysayers were already proven dead wrong for game 1, a moral victory for the Cavs.

I don't think the "JR incident" will hurt the Cavs for rest of the finals. They have been pretty resilient this whole post season. Who's to say that if JR tried a put back it would have went it? Or that if a timeout was called, they would have scored? I'm more upset Hill missed that free throw and the reversed call on James.

I think the Cavs will bounce back for next game, but for sure back home.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
The naysayers will say Golden State were lucky.
But there is nothing lucky about clutchness.
Clutchness is what separates the great from the good.
The 2007 Cleveland were competitive in each game, including 1 and 3 point margins, but San Antonio was clutch and swept them.
Game 1 was the best opportunity for Cleveland, because they were riding the wave of confidence from the Boston series.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
The naysayers will say Golden State were lucky.
But there is nothing lucky about clutchness.
Clutchness is what separates the great from the good.
The 2007 Cleveland were competitive in each game, including 1 and 3 point margins, but San Antonio was clutch and swept them.
Game 1 was the best opportunity for Cleveland, because they were riding the wave of confidence from the Boston series.
Haha. This isn't a young team in search of confidence!

Lebron, Love, Thompson, JR- Four of the guys doing a lot of the heavy lifting have been to FOUR straight NBA Finals.

The best opportunity for the Cavs to win:

1)fix the interior defensive lapses. The Cavs are notorious for using Games 1 as the "feel out" game. They could easily be 0-5 in their last five series in Game 1s if not for Toronto collapsing at the end. The best opportunity is not GS shooting 51% like they did.

2)Play Jeff Green and Lebron more on Durant. I expect Durant to come back strong in Game 2.

3) If JR is going to give you the mental lapses and bad defensive awareness. Play Korver.

4) T Thompson had a few moments, but he was getting burned on switches in the 1st and spent too many occasions to recall underneath the basket and not able to put the ball in the basket and at the very least hold onto the ball. I'm interested to see what transpires if he's out for Game 2.

5) I wouldn't call this a "clutch" performance. That would ignore some major lapses from the Cavs and let's be honest "help" from the Refs. If I had to break down the Game the Warriors won the end of the 2nd period to the middle of the 3rd. The Game was either even or Cavs advantage at all other points.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Thompson and Love could both sit out next game from what I have heard, so could be a very interesting game 2.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Game 1 matches last year's game 1 ratings wise, which shows people are still interested in this finals matchup. In fact I expect ratings to go up seeing how thrilling and dramatic game 1 was.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nba...27670/#respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball