Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:28 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I hate the pregame and postgame fashion shows that these NBA players are doing.

Man purses and all.

LeBron James wears Thom Browne shorts suit to Game 1 of NBA Finals, Cavaliers wear cropped trousers | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Cropped pants are a thing now? I've been doing that for years, more out of necessity than fashion.
It's a sad state of affairs when we care more about what players are wearing than how they're playing... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 PM

939 posts, read 505,302 times
I’m all about 80s NBA and nothing mattered to me after the late 90s when Jordan retired. But as someone mentioned earlier, I look back at the games and can’t comprehend why the transition defense was so absymal in the 80s.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I’m all about 80s NBA and nothing mattered to me after the late 90s when Jordan retired. But as someone mentioned earlier, I look back at the games and can’t comprehend why the transition defense was so absymal in the 80s.
I think much of it has to do with choices, that there is less and less offensive rebounding these days than back then. The zone defense being allowed in 2002 started the trend of spacing the floor more making the big post players less important. Therefore, more 3's and longer shots creating more long rebounds and the need to get back on defense quicker so more focus is put on getting back now than offensive rebounding. Maybe thank Analytics for that and the stupid zone. Would much rather have the old defense rule. That's why it's impossible to compare what Jordan did to what Lebron is doing now. Way different game.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when we care more about what players are wearing than how they're playing... .
Consumerism has taken over all industry.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
I’ve watched regular season games this season where a player dribbles down the court, none of his teammates under the basket in position, 16-20 seconds left on the shot clock, the player comes to a complete stop at the 3pt line, and puts up a three. ( Piece of overrated garbage Carmelo Anthony comes to mind). This is not basketball. Sometimes I’ll see footage of games from the 80s and I find it more entertaining then the current games.

Plus Houston missing 27 three point shots.....the refs changing the call from a charge on Durant to a foul on LeBron .? Sometimes I think the league is fixed....( FWIW I don’t even like LeBron but that was. A charge)

Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM

331 posts, read 253,779 times
I think 3pt shots were introduced half way into the 80's. If you want 80's basketball again, you're asking the NBA to remove 3pt shots again.

Defense, athleticism, and skill set is superior today. The top end of each era, more or less, is equivalent in skill. However it's the middle to bottom tier of previous eras that would have little no value in today's NBA. Specifically, players like; Mark Eaton, Daryl Dawkins, Charles Oakley, Kurt Rambis, Anthony Mason, Bill Cartwright, Maurice Cheeks, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis, Derrick McKey, etc.

Since the skill set is so much more superior, players are able to, and want to, do more iso. As opposed to previous eras, where teams depended on ball movement and passing because they didn't have enough players capable of creating their own offense, consistently.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:45 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Consumerism has taken over all industry.
Televised sports is part of consumerism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I’ve watched regular season games this season where a player dribbles down the court, none of his teammates under the basket in position, 16-20 seconds left on the shot clock, the player comes to a complete stop at the 3pt line, and puts up a three. ( Piece of overrated garbage Carmelo Anthony comes to mind). This is not basketball. Sometimes I’ll see footage of games from the 80s and I find it more entertaining then the current games.

Plus Houston missing 27 three point shots.....the refs changing the call from a charge on Durant to a foul on LeBron .? Sometimes I think the league is fixed....( FWIW I don’t even like LeBron but that was. A charge)
Current games are way better than 80s/90s ball. Defenses are better and offenses are better.

LBJ was never in legal guarding position--it was definitely a block. The process used was unusual, but the ultimate call was correct.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

Current games are way better than 80s/90s ball. Defenses are better and offenses are better.

LBJ was never in legal guarding position--it was definitely a block. The process used was unusual, but the ultimate call was correct.
Plus, the call was never "changed". One official called it charge while the other, who had a different angle, called it a block. The entire point of going to the video was because they were in disagreement. After reviewing the video they agreed it was a block. But since fans could only see one ref in the the frame on their TV's they think his call was THEE call. It wasn't.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

Sports is Bread and Circus not consumerism.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:02 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Sports is Bread and Circus not consumerism.
Sure, Be Like Mike had nothing to do with consumerism. /s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball