U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where will LeBron play next season?
Cleveland 11 18.64%
Philadelphia 7 11.86%
Los Angeles 23 38.98%
Houston 5 8.47%
San Antonio 6 10.17%
Other 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Reputation: 11220

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Even despite the level of brutality and injury in the NFl your point is well made.

If the NBA doesn't fix this they're likely going to suffer decline.

At the same time the NFL has even bigger problems with regards to the basic nature of the sport.
Isn't that the way it's always been, though? Since the beginning of this century, it was all Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Warriors, and for a brief period Celtics & Cavs. Two outlier seasons where Detroit and Dallas won championships, but that's it. In the 90s it was all Bulls, except two seasons where Jordan "retired", when it was the Rockets. The 80s was all Lakers, Celtics & Pistons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Isn't that the way it's always been, though? Since the beginning of this century, it was all Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Warriors, and for a brief period Celtics & Cavs. Two outlier seasons where Detroit and Dallas won championships, but that's it. In the 90s it was all Bulls, except two seasons where Jordan "retired", when it was the Rockets. The 80s was all Lakers, Celtics & Pistons.
It's what happens when you only field five players and every player plays both offense and defense. Just a small handful of players or even a single player can completely dominant a league. It will always be this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 AM
 
1,573 posts, read 825,853 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I am now hearing that LeBron is trying to create a super team in LA, similar to what he did in Miami when he and Chris Bosh joined Dwyane Wade. And I am thinking Leonard is in the plans.

This is going to be very interesting for Laker fans!!
What will be interesting is how many of their young stars LA would have to let go of, to make room for a 35 year old Lebron and possible other veteran stars, and how many bad contracts they pick up. it still might not be enough to win the West, and it might set the team up to rebuild again in the 2020s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Reputation: 11220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
What will be interesting is how many of their young stars LA would have to let go of, to make room for a 35 year old Lebron and possible other veteran stars, and how many bad contracts they pick up. it still might not be enough to win the West, and it might set the team up to rebuild again in the 2020s.
If so, that would be great. Not quite as stupid as trading all their draft picks for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard (while Boston was simultaneously cutting their veterans loose and piling up draft picks), but still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Even despite the level of brutality and injury in the NFl your point is well made.

If the NBA doesn't fix this they're likely going to suffer decline.

At the same time the NFL has even bigger problems with regards to the basic nature of the sport.
NBA's recent peaks of popularity came in periods when one or two teams dominated: the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s, the Bulls in the 90s, and the Warriors/LBJ now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,186,923 times
Reputation: 4514
Not so much 3 teams but Magic, Bird and Jordan. The nba is always about (stars) players. If you have unlikable/dull/etc players people won't bother. The Spurs are a good example, great team no one cares about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM
 
51,977 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Isn't that the way it's always been, though? Since the beginning of this century, it was all Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Warriors, and for a brief period Celtics & Cavs. Two outlier seasons where Detroit and Dallas won championships, but that's it. In the 90s it was all Bulls, except two seasons where Jordan "retired", when it was the Rockets. The 80s was all Lakers, Celtics & Pistons.
I feel like it's gotten a bit worse when you have arguably the 2nd best player in the league joining the champs.

Imagine Shaq joining the Bulls instead of the Lakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine Shaq joining the Bulls instead of the Lakers.
And then pounding his chest as if he actually accomplished something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,427,921 times
Reputation: 4857
Do you guys agree that it would be better for LeBron's legacy to take a team that haven't made the finals in the last 20 years to the finals a couple times than to win 1 ring with a huge franchise like the Lakers/Celtics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Do you guys agree that it would be better for LeBron's legacy to take a team that haven't made the finals in the last 20 years to the finals a couple times than to win 1 ring with a huge franchise like the Lakers/Celtics?
I'm not sure it makes a difference either way. Outside of his four year run with the Heat he has been taking inferior teams to the finals for most of his career already. He already has that as a big part of his legacy now. It is kind of the safe thing for him to do. He's mostly always been in the position of people not expecting his teams to win it all. If he were to join up with Philly or team up with Leonard and George expectations may be that they actually do win it all. And if he fails maybe that would hurt him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top