U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Duke alums over-rated by the NBA?
highly over-rated 6 35.29%
somewhat over-rated 7 41.18%
rated about right 3 17.65%
under-rated 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,055,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I got to see him play his freshman year, I worked for Duke, but do you think he could of/would of went higher if he left earlier?
Even after his good sophmore season I never really saw him as more than a late first rounder. I’m actually surprised he went this high considering how I was frequently frustrated by how he played at Duke as an upperclassman. I’d really be shocked if Grayson was actually a lotto pick at any point in his career. I think he would’ve came out early if he was told he’d basically be a lock as a top 15 pick. Granted, if he came out in 2016 and went 17th or something he would’ve been making money the last two years instead of playing college ball where he could’ve been injured and never saw a penny from the NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM

929 posts, read 297,282 times
The only one that truly comes to mind was Mike Dunleavy Jr. I was beyond shocked to see that he was even forecasted to be a lottery pick. Turned out, he was drafted #3 overall! In my mind, he was nothing better than a late first rounder. I think from what I was reading here and there thru the years, that bore out to be the case, albeit I think he had one really good season after he was traded.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,159,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I got to see him play his freshman year, I worked for Duke, but do you think he could of/would of went higher if he left earlier?
I don't think so. Outside of a freak accident/injury, like what happened with the kid from Louisville a few years back, he was as good as gold to stay a full four years at Duke and hone his craft as a good role player. That's the benefit of playing at programs like Duke. You may not be a type of player that can change the trajectory of an NBA team, but you can play for a team that's always going to be stable with talent. There's benefit to that when you're in a position to where you may need to stay your four full years at that school. Duke will always be on the Big Stage as long as Coach K is around. There's so much storied history there and Grayson Allen received enough publicity, positive or negative, that if he could stay injury free and scandal free, he was going to be drafted at the next level. The talent level is there. He's just not billed as a player who's going to change the trajectory of an NBA team by himself.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,059,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, if any of you know any UNC players that graduated there, be sure to read that article to them.
Nice

Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,446,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/c...31/nba-players

Duke is projected to have 2 players in the top 10 in tomorrow's draft. Another who I figured would be at least in the first round, Trevon Duval, is projected now in the early 2nd round.

Here's a list of 20 current NBA players who went to Duke, and 51 former NBA players who did. Out of the 20, just three are solidly starting-caliber in the NBA: Kyrie Irving, Jason Tatum, and J.J. Redick.

If you look at the list of former NBA Duke alums, there are quite a few who were busts, or at least close to it. Danny Ferry is maybe the best example. He was the second overall pick in 1989. He did have a 10 year career, but averaged 7 points per game, mostly off the bench. A lot of people said when he was drafted that he was the next Larry Bird.

Are Duke players highly over-rated by NBA GMs
I think the reality is that making it in the NBA is a lot tougher than the NFL.....the % of NBA 1st round and especially 2nd round picks that actually make it in the NBA is rather low. Contrast with the NFL where a high proportion of 1st and 2nd rounders are going to end up playing....this is because you have 5 NBA starters and the bench for those 5 versus NFL (11 offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter, kick off team, etc.) so far more open spots.

Duke routinely gets top talent and some of those have lived up to their hype and others haven't, I think that is not so unusual in the NBA given how so few are going to end up making it.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM

7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
When you recruit all of the best high school players who donít go to Kentucky, you should produce serious NBA talent. Right now the best duke alarm in the NBA played 11 games in a Dukie jersey. We need to start discussing the fact that Coach Kelly might be ruining these kids. Grayson Allen is a one and done lottery pick Eddie lot of other D1 schools.
I'm confused by what you just wrote here.

Grayson Allen is not a "one-and-done lottery pick". For starters he played all 4 years of collegiate eligibility and he was drafted 21st by the Utah Jazz, a team that made the playoffs last year.

I also have no clue who "coach kelly" is. Even more confused as to how he's "ruining these kids". I'm not a fan of the one-and-dones but he actually seems to be just as good if not better at it than Calipari at Kentucky. For all the high school talent Cal gets, many of them have not lived up to hype (MKG, Noel, Cauley-Stien, Randle, Aaron Harrison) among the ones who have (Wall, Cousins, Booker, Towns).

When a school produces as much NBA draftees as Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. you're bound to have some busts in there, that's just numbers at work. I don't think former Duke players are over-rated or under-rated more or less than anyone else, it's just probability that some will be all-stars and others won't.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:30 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,661,198 times
The thread title makes no sense. It says ex Duke players, but then the OP is talking about current Duke players.

There have been tons of very good, All-star level Duke players in the recent past/current: Grant Hill, Kyrie Irving, Elton Brand, Luol Deng, Reddick, Battier, Laettner (I hated him but he ended up being solid), and many more

Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 1 day ago)

3,399 posts, read 597,517 times
Mock Drafts I've seen seem to be putting 3 Duke forwards, Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish, as number 1, 2, and 3.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/20/nb...evin-porter-jr

That is pretty amazing in itself, but also none of the three seem to excel at the 3-ball. Reddish is the best at .358, which is actually below the NBA league average (.362 last year reg. season). Barrett is currently .317 in threes, and Williamson at a horrible .273.
Duke Blue Devils 2018-19 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Presumably those numbers would drop even more against an NBA defense.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,055,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Mock Drafts I've seen seem to be putting 3 Duke forwards, Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish, as number 1, 2, and 3.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/20/nb...evin-porter-jr

That is pretty amazing in itself, but also none of the three seem to excel at the 3-ball. Reddish is the best at .358, which is actually below the NBA league average (.362 last year reg. season). Barrett is currently .317 in threes, and Williamson at a horrible .273.
Duke Blue Devils 2018-19 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Presumably those numbers would drop even more against an NBA defense.
With a player like Zion, the NBA will simply disregard a lot of metrics to get such a physical beast. Heís probably the closest weíve come to seeing Lebron play a year of college ball. 280lb with those hops and quickness...just isnít fair. With a little work, I think most of them will develop a serviceable 3 ball (30%+).

Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 1 day ago)

3,399 posts, read 597,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With a player like Zion, the NBA will simply disregard a lot of metrics to get such a physical beast. Heís probably the closest weíve come to seeing Lebron play a year of college ball. 280lb with those hops and quickness...just isnít fair. With a little work, I think most of them will develop a serviceable 3 ball (30%+).
For ZW, I would be highly concerned about knee or foot injuries with that kind of hops at 285 lbs. Seems like a potential Greg Oden. Of course I hope he plays 15 years injury free, but many times it is the jumping jacks who develop knee problems, and playing at 285 lbs is just asking for problems.

But I do agree he is the one of those three for whom GMs won't care about his lack of a jump shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or