U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Duke alums over-rated by the NBA?
highly over-rated 6 35.29%
somewhat over-rated 7 41.18%
rated about right 3 17.65%
under-rated 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:56 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,050,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
For ZW, I would be highly concerned about knee or foot injuries with that kind of hops at 285 lbs. Seems like a potential Greg Oden. Of course I hope he plays 15 years injury free, but many times it is the jumping jacks who develop knee problems, and playing at 285 lbs is just asking for problems.

But I do agree he is the one of those three for whom GMs won't care about his lack of a jump shot.
It could happen and I wouldn’t be surprised. Knees are one of those things we don’t know about until we know about it. Granted, he could be a freak Barkley or Lebron type - big, athletic and pretty durable...probably something you gamble on if you believe he can be 80% of either of those. Zion will probably make it 10 years in the league on athleticism (if healthy)...he’ll have to put in work to make it into his 30s after the explosion fades a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Mock Drafts I've seen seem to be putting 3 Duke forwards, Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish, as number 1, 2, and 3.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/20/nb...evin-porter-jr

That is pretty amazing in itself, but also none of the three seem to excel at the 3-ball. Reddish is the best at .358, which is actually below the NBA league average (.362 last year reg. season). Barrett is currently .317 in threes, and Williamson at a horrible .273.
Duke Blue Devils 2018-19 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Presumably those numbers would drop even more against an NBA defense.

The NCAA still uses the short 3 point line, right? That makes 3Pt% comps pretty weak, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With a player like Zion, the NBA will simply disregard a lot of metrics to get such a physical beast. Hes probably the closest weve come to seeing Lebron play a year of college ball. 280lb with those hops and quickness...just isnt fair. With a little work, I think most of them will develop a serviceable 3 ball (30%+).

I don't watch much college basketball. Athleticism will make Zion a top pick. Shooting, ball handling, passing, and Bball IQ will determine whether he is an NBA star or another hyper-athletic prospect that can't produce at the pro level. Another interesting question: does he have the lateral quickness to defend wings, or does he need to play 4 (or 5) at the NBA level?

Interesting to see just two point guards and one center in the top 10 of this SI mock draft. Quality wings, unless truly transcendent talents, are so often found in lower places in the draft (for examples: Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Middleton, Jae Crowder, Chandler Parsons, Shump, Lance Stephenson, Danny Green, Paul George, etc.).

For every transcendent wing drafted near the top (LBJ, KD, Harden--who is actually a Point Guard in a wing's body), you end up with a handful of players who have the physical form of an NBA star but who play like decent wings or worse (Wes Johnson, Brandon Ingram, Evan Turner, Kidd-Gilchrest, H. Barnes, Dion Waiters, Wiggins, Jabari Parker, etc.).

Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 AM

5,119 posts, read 1,823,397 times
why the topic dedicated to my old school, we have been putting players in the NBA for years.
Yea we are aware that Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish are expected to go 1 2 and 3, Jones is likely a 1st rounder if he leaves after 1 year as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or