U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:06 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times

Advertisements

I couldn’t find a thread on it. Suprised Dallas went with Trae Young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,103 times
If you are the Clips, why not take that second pick in the first round that you have and take the flier on Michael Porter, Jr? I think he is worth the risk since you are picking back to back.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM

5,270 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I couldn’t find a thread on it. Suprised Dallas went with Trae Young
Actually they didn't, they traded Young to Atlanta for Luka Doncic.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Mohamed Bamba was a top 10 draft pick? Wow. Someone try convincing me that won't end well.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:46 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,154,072 times
I think Dallas is an early favorite for winning the draft. They have a lot of international tailwind still with Dirk on the roster. Hopefully they can have a similar future with Doncic. I'm not a big fan of Cuban, but I do like the pairing of Smith and Doncic. If they can get some good role players, like their 2011 title run, and this team could start sniffing the playoffs again in a good way. I also feel that the Sixers picked well in the draft, as well as, Phoenix. Phoenix could be interesting if Ayton can be a double double machine. He needs to be good enough to where teams have to sag off Booker to guard Ayton. I like where Phoenix could be heading here.

The Sac pick really has no legs, unless they're looking to move on from a player or two, and I'm scratching my head a little on the Memphis pick as well. Memphis wants to run the twin towers again, which does have the possibility of working.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

9,916 posts, read 8,069,677 times
Not surprised LaDrama Ball went undrafted. Sometimes it is simply not worth the disruption and ego along with a crazy father making demands.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Mohamed Bamba was a top 10 draft pick? Wow. Someone try convincing me that won't end well.
A flyer on a guy with a good body and legitimate skills to build on at 6? I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I think Dallas is an early favorite for winning the draft. They have a lot of international tailwind still with Dirk on the roster. Hopefully they can have a similar future with Doncic. I'm not a big fan of Cuban, but I do like the pairing of Smith and Doncic. If they can get some good role players, like their 2011 title run, and this team could start sniffing the playoffs again in a good way. I also feel that the Sixers picked well in the draft, as well as, Phoenix. Phoenix could be interesting if Ayton can be a double double machine. He needs to be good enough to where teams have to sag off Booker to guard Ayton. I like where Phoenix could be heading here.

The Sac pick really has no legs, unless they're looking to move on from a player or two, and I'm scratching my head a little on the Memphis pick as well. Memphis wants to run the twin towers again, which does have the possibility of working.
I'm glad Dallas is fully committed to defending no one. I like Doncic's skills, but he'll need the right pieces around him, and I don't know that Dallas is up to it.

The Hawks are committing to fun. Now let's see if Young can get his shot off in the NBA.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
A flyer on a guy with a good body and legitimate skills to build on at 6? I like it.

I'm glad Dallas is fully committed to defending no one. I like Doncic's skills, but he'll need the right pieces around him, and I don't know that Dallas is up to it.

The Hawks are committing to fun. Now let's see if Young can get his shot off in the NBA.

He'll likely suffer the same problems in Atlanta as he did at Oklahoma. Will he have big games? Absolutely! But with the organization lacking offense around him, expect him to be double teamed anytime he has a hot hand. I think it will be a fun year for Atlanta, but it'll be a VERY FRUSTRATING year for Young. Just like when Young was nationally heralded as the "next Curry" defenses began to lockdown on him, because there was not a reliable #2 on the team. Curry is great, but he's great, because of the talent around him. You put pressure on Curry, well now you sagged on Klay. Okay, we put pressure on both Curry and Klay, well now we've sagged on Draymond. This is all before you added Durant, who essentially broke the model of superteam. You need a full 48 minutes of solid team effort to beat Golden State. The only thing that can be problematic for them going forward is differing opinions on their value and overinflated egos.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
He'll likely suffer the same problems in Atlanta as he did at Oklahoma. Will he have big games? Absolutely! But with the organization lacking offense around him, expect him to be double teamed anytime he has a hot hand. I think it will be a fun year for Atlanta, but it'll be a VERY FRUSTRATING year for Young. Just like when Young was nationally heralded as the "next Curry" defenses began to lockdown on him, because there was not a reliable #2 on the team. Curry is great, but he's great, because of the talent around him. You put pressure on Curry, well now you sagged on Klay. Okay, we put pressure on both Curry and Klay, well now we've sagged on Draymond. This is all before you added Durant, who essentially broke the model of superteam. You need a full 48 minutes of solid team effort to beat Golden State. The only thing that can be problematic for them going forward is differing opinions on their value and overinflated egos.
I think the big mysteries of the Young-Curry comp are these:

Handle
Quick release
Passing/Decision-making

Curry was showing all of those skills as a Rookie with Don Nelson's D-League all-stars. He has grown--getting stronger and more experienced, but the talent was always there.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I think the big mysteries of the Young-Curry comp are these:

Handle
Quick release
Passing/Decision-making

Curry was showing all of those skills as a Rookie with Don Nelson's D-League all-stars. He has grown--getting stronger and more experienced, but the talent was always there.

I'm not denying his talent, but that talent is even greater when you have good talent around you. Remember the first run of Cleveland with Lebron. Great talent, but that team just couldn't get it done. One man can't consistently beat another team all by themselves in the playoffs. I'll never deny Curry's skill set, but he wouldn't be as good as he is without Klay and Draymond. Just like Klay and Draymond wouldn't be as good as they are without the talent around them.

Shoot, Durant was always good and his talent was never doubted in OKC, but look at him once he was added to Golden State. He now takes less shots and makes them at a higher clip, so now he's not only ultra efficient, but even more deadly when no team can afford to give up points to Golden State to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or