U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Reputation: 2478

Advertisements

I wouldn't give up anything if I'm Magic. Kawhi has publicly stated he wants to play in LA, so the Lakers can just sign him next July 1 when his contract with the Spurs officially expires, and give up nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM
 
2 posts, read 885 times
Reputation: 10
Wow Lebron and Kawhi will be huge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I wouldn't give up anything if I'm Magic. Kawhi has publicly stated he wants to play in LA, so the Lakers can just sign him next July 1 when his contract with the Spurs officially expires, and give up nothing.
And waste the best season of LBJ that you're going to get surrounding him with a bunch of young guys, Lance, Javale, and Rondo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Generally yes but it is the exact opposite in this case. This is a rare case.

Trading him at the February trade deadline is a better power play at this point from the Spurs' angle because he would play the season and prove that he is healthy. That by itself will recoup a lot of his diminished value. Lots of teams haven't made offers because of his health condition, add in the shroud of mystery surrounding how he got injured, how long he has been injured, and why he is injured and it makes for a terrible situation right now.

There will be some teams that will be more likely to take the gamble in February as they go all in to contend for a title and they would more likely play the risk game then instead of now because a lot of teams view him as damaged goods right now. The last time he was healthy, the Spurs were up 23 points in Game 1 against the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. He only played 9 games last season and didn't look right in any of them at all, on both sides of the ball.

I suspect the Spurs will trade him before training camp though. As a Laker supporter who is a big fan of Kawhi Leonard's game (he's my favorite NBA player), I am okay with them not trading Kawhi to the Lakers right now as long as they don't trade him to the Clippers. If they trade him to the 76ers, chances are that if we play our cards right and keep that roster spot flexible and open with a max contract slot that we'll get our guy next summer as it is. My only concern is the Spurs holding off on trading him now and doing it in February, because then the Clippers can absolutely get in it and if they get Kawhi then I suspect the Lakers wont be able to pry him away from the Clippers (they'll have both his bird rights thus being able to offer him the most money and give him the Los Angeles market on a team where he is the undisputed #1). The Spurs would more than likely take Avery Bradley and Tobias Harris with a smile on their face, that is quite the haul and those players fit the profile of what the Spurs want. The Clippers, being the redheaded stepchild of NBA teams in Los Angeles, seem like the desperate type of organization that would give up both of those guys for Kawhi. They don't have a rebuild plan in place because they don't have any future picks and they aren't exactly a free agent destination even with their location in Los Angeles. Here is one superstar, a Top 4 talent when healthy saying he wants to be there, that's literally a first. The Clippers just lost DeAndre Jordan for nothing, I take it that they are thirsty as hell to acquire some top shelf talent now. I imagine a desperate as hell team trying to get him at all costs knowing all that, that's what bothers me in the back of my mind.

That's the only thing that concerns me. If they trade him to the Lakers, great. If they trade him to the 76ers, great (that would actually be a win for the Spurs because they'll get the 76ers assets anyways and pawn off a flight risk to someone else). If he gets traded to the Clippers though, yeah, I'm worried.
Is LBJ in '19-20 going to be the same caliber as '17-18? We've seen star pairings need a full year in the past to gel. Is LBJ in '20-21 going to be good enough to contend? It's very risky to just punt this year, considering the NBA miles on LeBron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
Reputation: 11215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Is LBJ in '19-20 going to be the same caliber as '17-18? We've seen star pairings need a full year in the past to gel. Is LBJ in '20-21 going to be good enough to contend? It's very risky to just punt this year, considering the NBA miles on LeBron.
We've been saying that for years, yet Lebron still turns it on every single season. He's super-human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We've been saying that for years, yet Lebron still turns it on every single season. He's super-human.
He is not at his physical peak, which came in Miami. His experience has overcome that physical decline for now, leading to perhaps his peak offensive performance, but all players succumb to age at some point. It would be unwise to punt on LBJ's turning 34 season on the assumption he'll be just as good when he's turning 35 or 36.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
He is not at his physical peak, which came in Miami. His experience has overcome that physical decline for now, leading to perhaps his peak offensive performance, but all players succumb to age at some point. It would be unwise to punt on LBJ's turning 34 season on the assumption he'll be just as good when he's turning 35 or 36.

Tom Brady is still putting up peak performance numbers over 40. Granted Father time has never lost to anyone, and will get to Brady & LeBron at some point sooner or later, but until that happens it will be unwise to pick against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,186,467 times
Reputation: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
He is not at his physical peak, which came in Miami. His experience has overcome that physical decline for now, leading to perhaps his peak offensive performance, but all players succumb to age at some point. It would be unwise to punt on LBJ's turning 34 season on the assumption he'll be just as good when he's turning 35 or 36.

Except that LeBron shows zero signs of slowing down. Fools gold betting against him being as good for years to come. Guy has never been in better shape and is already better than anyone else in the league by far. Will that equate to winning in LA? Yes I think so. Winning the West and/or NBA title? Maybe. Punchers chance and all that jazz. GSW are still the best team either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: California
2,011 posts, read 2,013,656 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I wouldn't give up anything if I'm Magic. Kawhi has publicly stated he wants to play in LA, so the Lakers can just sign him next July 1 when his contract with the Spurs officially expires, and give up nothing.
I actually think that is the plan, keep all the young talent and only sign free agents to one year contracts to keep their salary cap flexibility for 2019 to sign Kawhi as a free agent.

We also can extend Deng's contract over 5 years if need be. He is currently owed like 36 mil over the next two year. If we pay him his salary in full this year, we would only have to extend 18 mil over 5 years for next year.

The Lakers have a great future and IMO will be the next super team. Will it be good enough to beat the Warriors? That is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: California
2,011 posts, read 2,013,656 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I disagree. He was far from a poor draft pick. If you look at his stats. 10 / 7 / 7 there are only 4 rookies that have even done that, two were Magic and Oscar Robertson and then Simmons this year. Even Jason Kidd did not. He had a stretch of several weeks before he got hurt in December where he was hitting 40% of his 3's. And at UCLA hit 67% of his free throws so its got to be mental. He can hit free throws.


I think the biggest issue for Lonzo is Lavar Ball and I believe the Lakers got Rondo so that they could trade him. They have no intention keeping him in L.A. this coming season. LeBron does not want to deal with Lavar. That might have been part of what was agreed to between him and Magic.

Lonzo needs to grow some cajones, he needs to speak for himself and not let his loud mouth daddy do all the talking. He's in the pros now, he needs to man up!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Reputation: 2342
Not on topic but seems like the best place to put this.

I am watching Cowherd right now, and the way this dude talks about LA is ridiculous. He sounds like one of those people who is still trying to convince themselves that moving there was the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top