U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,152,573 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking this is more of a 50-55 win team. 60 wins is still not an easy measure to get to. Houston won 65 games last year shooting 3's at a high percentage clip, which Toronto is not known for their 3 point abilities.

They need an engaged Kawhi and they need Lowry and Ibaka to be better than they've been. Derozan stole the show in Toronto this past season, and that was either a sign of things to come, or he just played well above average basketball last season. Ibaka continues to regress, and the same for Lowry, so the talk of Toronto has been their bench.

Boston comes back healthy this upcoming season and I'm not expecting lightning to strike in the same place twice with Hayward and Irving both being injured. You also have Indiana likely continuing their surge, along with Philly. Then you have the Bucks, whatever Cleveland can put together, and Miami to round things out. Washington is just Washington in my book, so I don't expect them to do much more than just fold. Have locker room and on court issues with Wall, but he's also your best player, so that team will be forever stuck as a 4 or 5 seed.

Getting wins in the West will be harder for Toronto, because I think OKC will actually be better this upcoming season, along with Utah and the Nuggets. I think 50-55 wins, with a new coach, is fairly attainable for this squad as constructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
IDK, looking at the Raptors roster, now they have the two 'KL' stars, but just not enough of a supporting cast behind them.
At the trade deadline, they should work on creating a Big 3 of Kyle Lowry, Kawhi Leonard, and Kevin Love so that way they can have three "KLs" instead of two.

Love just signed an extension with Cleveland so wont be eligible to be traded but if their season is up in flames by the trade deadline it would make sense for Cleveland to sell off all their veteran assets and begin a full scale rebuild. In other words, Kevin Love should be gettable.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,012,775 times
Kevin Love is the most overrated player in the entire league. Cleveland won the 16 title in spite of him, I've never seen a player paid so much with no moves whatsoever unless he gets a perfect pass.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Cmon, Boston nearly won the East with Irving and Heyward out for the season. The Raptors should get a great season out of Leonard, who now has something to prove, and increase the profile of their franchise at the same time. But they’re still the team that craps the bed every postseason, and a coaching change plus Lebron swapping conferences isn’t going to change that fact. I won’t say they’re not contenders to make the conference finals though, since Philly was notably silent on the FA/trade market this summer.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM

498 posts, read 141,585 times
As long as Leonard can stay healthy, I think Toronto will for sure be a contender in the East. With Danny Green there as well, their defense will be considerably better than it was last year. Without LeBron, the door is open for teams like them, Boston, and Philly.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:12 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Kevin Love is the most overrated player in the entire league. Cleveland won the 16 title in spite of him, I've never seen a player paid so much with no moves whatsoever unless he gets a perfect pass.
He pretty consistently puts up 16-20 points and 10-11 rebounds. If that were so easy to do, every NBA player would be doing it.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 AM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
If Kawhi performs at pre-injury levels, Toronto may very well go to the Finals. Boston with healthy Hayward and Irving will be a force too though.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:01 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
He pretty consistently puts up 16-20 points and 10-11 rebounds. If that were so easy to do, every NBA player would be doing it.
I bet Love goes for 23/12 this season. Obviously not a #1 option, but a good 2nd option if the Cavs have later have cap room to sign another star.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
If Kawhi performs at pre-injury levels, Toronto may very well go to the Finals. Boston with healthy Hayward and Irving will be a force too though.
I was looking at some numbers. In the last full season he played Kawhi was tied for 2nd in PER with Durant at 27.6. Westbrook was first w/ 30.6. I think I would take Kawhi over Westbrook, regardless of PER. And BTW Lebron was 5th @ 27.0
https://www.basketball-reference.com...7_leaders.html

It goes to show that Kawhi is pretty high up there when healthy.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM

5,448 posts, read 3,754,329 times
A lot depends on KL's health. He hasn't been healthy in a long time. If healthy I think the Raps get to the ECF. Whether they beat the Celtics is big question mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball