U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times

Advertisements

Toronto Raptors with Kawhi Leonard -- Thoughts?

The Toronto Raptors are kicking the tires on possibly trading for Kawhi Leonard. From what I can recall the trade will be centered on DeMar DeRozan and some young players currently on Toronto's depth chart/bench.

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-rum...kawhi-leonard/

What are your thoughts on this move? What do you think the upside would be for the team and how far they can go?

I think this is a great move for Toronto if it happens and will easily give them the best player in the Eastern Conference and a Top 4 NBA talent. I think it would also possibly deflate Boston's title chances next season because Toronto itself would be fielding a very powerful team in a weakened Eastern Conference. Finally, from the perspective of the NBA, this is a great move as it would bring over a top shelf talent from the West to the talent-starved East.

I like this move. I'm not sure if Kawhi sticks around after the season because it seems his uncle wants them in Los Angeles no matter what because his uncle is trying to start his own agency to manage players and Los Angeles is needed for that but it could be the gamble that proves fruitful for Toronto. Perhaps if they go the distance they can have a better shot at retaining Kawhi. Toronto itself is a huge market and team and it is a great city to boot.

Obviously as a Laker supporter I want Kawhi on my team especially because he is my favorite player in the NBA but as an NBA supporter this will help get more talent to the East and create more dynamism in that conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,152,573 times
Wow. That stinks far Demar Derozan. He completely overshadowed Lowry and appeared to like playing for Toronto. He was on the trading block, because there was no competing value for Lowry. I'm most upset for Dorozan here, because I feel Lowry gets a pass, due to less trade value. I prefer Deerozan's play over Lowry's, but at the end of the day business is business.

Kawhi will be a 1 year rental Raptor and the Spurs get Derozan. San Antonio could be fun with Derozan playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,587,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Wow. That stinks far Demar Derozan. He completely overshadowed Lowry and appeared to like playing for Toronto. He was on the trading block, because there was no competing value for Lowry. I'm most upset for Dorozan here, because I feel Lowry gets a pass, due to less trade value. I prefer Deerozan's play over Lowry's, but at the end of the day business is business.

Kawhi will be a 1 year rental Raptor and the Spurs get Derozan. San Antonio could be fun with Derozan playing with a chip on his shoulder.
I think this will work out well for Demar. He will benefit being coached by Pop.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
Spurs don’t have to go through a complete rebuild and probably make the playoffs, but he’s a huge downgrade from a heathy Kawhi. Raptors may win 55+ games if he’s healthy but still not competing for a chip.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
Btw kinda funny that Pop and Co sent him to Canada out of all places. Big F you.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times
It's a kind of 'least of evils' for both of them. DeRozen is a good player but not at Leonard's elite level. Raptor's face a tall order in getting Leonard to stay more than one season.

Who knows though. I still say Toronto has one of the better rosters in the East, especially now with Cleveland out of the picture. Maybe they can make noise in the playoffs and convince him to stay. Probably not with Boston's rise. Leonard also adds much needed 3 point shooting.

If I'm the Spurs, I would have wanted to get a better package of draft picks for Leonard, but it seems they have a 'win now' philosophy like Jerry Sloan used to talk about with the Jazz.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
Supposedly Kawhi Leonard is angry at his trade to Toronto, where he doesn't want to be (looks like the reports of him obsessively wanting to get to Los Angeles are absolutely on point). His camp, mainly his uncle, a man named Dennis Robertson, is putting it out there that Kawhi Leonard may sit out ALL of next season despite being healthy and capable of playing because they don't want to be in Toronto.

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-rum...t-next-season/

This is very unprofessional by Kawhi's camp. I've said this before but his uncle is a true malcontent on the scale of LaVar Ball, potentially worse.

I feel bad for DeMar DeRozan because he truly seemed to love Toronto, both the city and the team. He also seems like a rather great person too. I also feel sorry for Toronto the city and its fans and the franchise because it looks like Kawhi will be taking his leave in a year. So gamble failed. On the other hand, this is excellent news for my team, the Lakers, because along with the Clippers we should be at the forefront to sign him outright next season. Kawhi is my favorite player, love everything about his game, so I welcome that addition but still cannot help but feel sorry for Toronto's situation as it begins to unfold over the next 1 year. Sad, Kawhi's camp is being quite petty and unprofessional, see folks, this is Exhibit A on why the Kawhi Leonard situation is nothing like the Paul George situation at all. I thought Kawhi would have positively reacted to being traded from San Antonio since that is what he wanted but to be pouty right out of the gate is a bad look.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM

3,241 posts, read 4,570,709 times
In my opinion, if a player sits out voluntarily, that time should not count towards his contract. He doesn't get paid and he will play that contract out. Players determining where they go outside of free agency is letting the inmates run the asylum.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Absolutely horrible trade for the Raptors, and as a Raps fan I wish Leonard can't cross the border for whatever reason, so this has to get voided. DeRo was a great player, loved playing here, should have dumped Lowry instead. DeRo had made that team go, not Lowry. And Ujiri is a complete idiot if he thinks Leonard is resigning in Canada. His mind is already in LA, and this will be a complete failure.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Btw kinda funny that Pop and Co sent him to Canada out of all places. Big F you.
Yeah, a black 27 year old millionaire who will be in LA in a year really got screwed over.

What’s more funny is Kawhi turned down all that free money and told the spurs to shove it. Even after Parker, who he hated for making fun of his injury, left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball