U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 1,548,736 times

Advertisements

Anthony Davis isn't good enough to lead a team to a championship, but I'm surprised there isn't a team somewhere that is one piece way from winning a championship that would be willing to trade an all-star for Anthony Davis.
I think giving up an asset to win a championship is worthwhile, even if you know Anthony Davis won't stick around after that....
If Toronto win the championship this year (which I don't think is possible) it'll be worthwhile regardless of what Kawhi does after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,534,668 times
Don't do it Magic, don't do it! Too much to give away for a guy that may be available in a few years. And if he isn't? So what, there are other stars out there. Play the long game.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Don't do it Magic, don't do it! Too much to give away for a guy that may be available in a few years. And if he isn't? So what, there are other stars out there. Play the long game.

LeBron isn't getting any younger, and he's the only piece the Lakers can't be willing to part with. Mortgaging the future for the best years they'll get with LeBron is the right move. AD + LBJ + spare parts can be a title contender. LBJ plus the kids cannot be a title contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Anthony Davis isn't good enough to lead a team to a championship, but I'm surprised there isn't a team somewhere that is one piece way from winning a championship that would be willing to trade an all-star for Anthony Davis.
I think giving up an asset to win a championship is worthwhile, even if you know Anthony Davis won't stick around after that....
If Toronto win the championship this year (which I don't think is possible) it'll be worthwhile regardless of what Kawhi does after.

Toronto seems like the most viable trade partner before the deadline if they're willing to move several quality players plus picks. If the Pelicans wait until the offseason, then the Knicks and Celtics start to look a lot better. The Bulls could put together an interesting package too, I think.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

17,317 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Alright, Lakers withdrew from trade talks with New Orleans.

Now Magic and company have to deal with the possible internal fallout.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM

8,092 posts, read 5,300,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Holy ****! That is pretty much the entire future of this team. Whoever suggested this trade should be fired. Anthony Davis is great but not this great.

"offering multiple young players, including Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac -- to a trade package that already included Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and two first-round picks, and salary-cap relief to the Pelicans"

Los Angeles Lakers have offered improved Anthony Davis package to New Orleans Pelicans

Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 PM

17,317 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Holy ****! That is pretty much the entire future of this team. Whoever suggested this trade should be fired. Anthony Davis is great but not this great.

"offering multiple young players, including Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac -- to a trade package that already included Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and two first-round picks, and salary-cap relief to the Pelicans"

Los Angeles Lakers have offered improved Anthony Davis package to New Orleans Pelicans
Well, apparently the Laker brass are still trying to entice the Pelicans with a final offer.

What a farce.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
The Pelicans may be thinking Kuzma and Ingram are not true stars, and may not stay with them anyway. But with AD turning malcontent, they may not have a choice.
What’s funny to me is Kevin Durant being the most hated player in the league, but never put the Thunder in this position. In the past 12 months, Leonard, Butler and now Davis basically **** on their teams midseason, and fans gave them a free pass. I guess players dictating whether they feel like playing for their contracted team is the new normal, and waiting for free agency is for suckers.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Pelicans may be thinking Kuzma and Ingram are not true stars, and may not stay with them anyway. But with AD turning malcontent, they may not have a choice.
What’s funny to me is Kevin Durant being the most hated player in the league, but never put the Thunder in this position. In the past 12 months, Leonard, Butler and now Davis basically **** on their teams midseason, and fans gave them a free pass. I guess players dictating whether they feel like playing for their contracted team is the new normal, and waiting for free agency is for suckers.
The obvious difference here is that Durant decided to join the team that had just defeated his team in a tightly contested Western Conference Finals. That's an important bit of context you omitted. It's not like he up and left the Suns.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The obvious difference here is that Durant decided to join the team that had just defeated his team in a tightly contested Western Conference Finals. That's an important bit of context you omitted. It's not like he up and left the Suns.
So what? It was a free agency decision he made for himself. Meanwhile these guys demanding trades in the middle of the season get a pass.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:16 PM

8,092 posts, read 5,300,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So what? It was a free agency decision he made for himself. Meanwhile these guys demanding trades in the middle of the season get a pass.
Those guys were pretty vocal about wanting to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or