U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times

Advertisements

The Lakers drama is about the only thing interesting in the NBA this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 PM

5,431 posts, read 1,544,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Lakers drama is about the only thing interesting in the NBA this year.
And Philly's blockbuster trades, and Hardon.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,533,274 times
Are we supposed to feel sorry for Kuzma & Ingram because their names are being brought up in trade talks? Or any other player for that matter? I feel like media (or maybe the internet machine) over the last few days has really turned on Lebron & Magic as if "look what they're doing to these poor poor little kids"...it's a business and Magic/Lebron are in the business of improving this team.

But for the record, the Pels are asking way too much so I don't support a trade for AD. But I don't blame Magic for trying (or Lebron's influence). I feel like the Lakers are going to get hammered either way. Make the trade, well folks will say they got fleeced. Can't make the trade, well folks will say Magic failed/huge mess, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 PM

3,302 posts, read 580,763 times
Looks to me like the Lakers' front office bollixed this thing. An old rule of negotiations 101 is 'never negotiate in public.'

The only caveat is that maybe Magic & co really had some other motive here than actually acquiring AD. Maybe they just wanted to give their young guys a kick in the pants. But if so, I'd say they kicked a little too hard.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:38 PM

3,302 posts, read 580,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And Philly's blockbuster trades, and Hardon.
I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I'm not impressed with the Philly deal. They already had murmurs about guys not getting enough touches, and now they add a guy used to scoring 18-20/game?

The plus side is that Harris is a good 3-point shooter, which could really help Philly. Right now all they really have is Redick, who turns 35 in June. Butler is a good but not great 3 ball shooter.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,533,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Looks to me like the Lakers' front office bollixed this thing. An old rule of negotiations 101 is 'never negotiate in public.'
How so? I really don't get it. The Pelicans wanted way too much for AD, plain and simple. In fact, New Orleans wasn't even serious about trading the guy. The Lakers front office did the right thing.

So are you telling me that if negotiations were done in private, Magic would've got the deal done without giving up 5 of our best players and up to 4 draft picks? Gimme a break.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 AM

5,431 posts, read 1,544,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I'm not impressed with the Philly deal. They already had murmurs about guys not getting enough touches, and now they add a guy used to scoring 18-20/game?

The plus side is that Harris is a good 3-point shooter, which could really help Philly. Right now all they really have is Redick, who turns 35 in June. Butler is a good but not great 3 ball shooter.
Murmurs?
You mean Butler and Embiid?

Jimmy Butler has been passing up open shots, so Butler has no problem, he really only tries to score in the 4th quarter (because he knows Philly need a closer).
As for 3-point-shooting, last year Covington shot .369, while Butler is currently shooting .366 for Philly (and shot .378 for Minnesota).
So there is no difference other than the fact that Covington attempted a couple more treys per game.
But Butler is winning games on the buzzer, so I prefer Butler's 3-point-shot over Covington's easily.

And Embiid has the personality of a 5-year-old, so I don't take his murmurs seriously, and he sounds like he's more interested in MVP than team success anyway.
Embiid's won't be attempting many shots from now on anyway, because Harris has arrived, and that means Simmons will be kicking to the 3-point-shooters (Harris, Scott, Redick, Butler) more than ever.

We've got one of the best 3-point-shooting line-ups in the NBA now-
Tobias Harris .434
Mike Scott .391
JJ Redick .384
Jimmy Butler .366

And we won at Golden State even before acquiring Harris and Scott (albeit when Thompson was out).
We match-up well with Golden State, and Simmons dominates them.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
How so? I really don't get it. The Pelicans wanted way too much for AD, plain and simple. In fact, New Orleans wasn't even serious about trading the guy. The Lakers front office did the right thing.

So are you telling me that if negotiations were done in private, Magic would've got the deal done without giving up 5 of our best players and up to 4 draft picks? Gimme a break.

5 of the Lakers top players just aren't that good. AD is a top 6 player, and still young enough that he is likely to get better. Everything on the Lakers minus LBJ is probably not good enough to deliver value for the Pels. Even a straight up LBJ-AD trade is only good enough because LBJ is under contract long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Murmurs?
You mean Butler and Embiid?

Jimmy Butler has been passing up open shots, so Butler has no problem, he really only tries to score in the 4th quarter (because he knows Philly need a closer).
As for 3-point-shooting, last year Covington shot .369, while Butler is currently shooting .366 for Philly (and shot .378 for Minnesota).
So there is no difference other than the fact that Covington attempted a couple more treys per game.
But Butler is winning games on the buzzer, so I prefer Butler's 3-point-shot over Covington's easily.

And Embiid has the personality of a 5-year-old, so I don't take his murmurs seriously, and he sounds like he's more interested in MVP than team success anyway.
Embiid's won't be attempting many shots from now on anyway, because Harris has arrived, and that means Simmons will be kicking to the 3-point-shooters (Harris, Scott, Redick, Butler) more than ever.

We've got one of the best 3-point-shooting line-ups in the NBA now-
Tobias Harris .434
Mike Scott .391
JJ Redick .384
Jimmy Butler .366

And we won at Golden State even before acquiring Harris and Scott (albeit when Thompson was out).
We match-up well with Golden State, and Simmons dominates them.

LOL at 76ers titles being won in January.

Mike Scott is a 15 min/night player. Butler only makes one 3/night. Redick is too old and small to defend the perimeter. Tobias Harris is too slow to defend the perimeter.

76ers crunch-time lineup seems like Simmons-Redick-Butler-Harris-Embiid. That lineup will struggle to defend the Bucks & Raptors, much less the Warriors.

The 76ers beat the Warriors on a night when Durant went 1-8 on 3, mostly open looks--in addition to Klay not playing.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 10,194,544 times
There's a rumor floating around, which I totally believe, that the Pelicans and Demms deliberately strung along the Lakers front office with the Anthony Davis trade discussions as a form of payback. The Pelicans organization was none too thrilled with what they believed was tampering by the Lakers organization in regards to Davis months ago and even recently. So they hoped to sabotage and ruin the chemistry of the Lakers team and string along Magic despite having no true interest in trading Davis to them. It certainly worked.

This makes sense. Despite what some say, the Lakers offer was more than generous and the players offered were very good and shows even more promise for the future. Anyone that says otherwise obviously have not been watching many Laker games through the season. And not only that, but the Lakers offered multiple first round draft picks.

That the Pelicans dragged this on without contacting the Lakers on a timely basis, speaks volumes. Many other organizations would have taken such an offer, especially to get rid of an unhappy player.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:58 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,416,173 times
Even if that’s true, good for them. It’s about time NBA organizations, especially small-market teams, take control of their futures and not let themselves be steamrolled by large market teams, media expectations and player demands. Since AD will still be under contract this summer, they’ll have a lot more time to hear offers from various teams rather than being forced to trade with only one.
The downside being they are forced to play an unhappy player for regular minutes the rest of the season or endure the wrath of the league, at the expense of morale for the rest of the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or