U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:02 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good post.

Yes, we've seen it with almost all the greats as they get around their mid 30's (if not earlier) they start to drop off.

If I'm being honest, Lebron only made the finals that year because the east was weak and depleted by injury, we all know what happened to open that window last year with KI going down and Boston taking them to 7 games.

Don't get me wrong, Lebron is amazing, and I know "deep playoff run" is intentionally vague but that squad wasn't getting back to the finals unless GS got in a bus crash and lost most of their starters for the series and that's if they even made the WCF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
But when the Lakers were 4th, had they played a difficult schedule or an easy schedule?
And even more importantly, even if they never had injuries, would they have remained consistent enough when we know they didn't have enough perimeter shooters?
I have my doubts, and in the first quarter of the season the standings are often very tight and only later on do we find out who are the real playoff teams....
Yeah LeBron can carry a team through the Eastern playoffs, but prior to this season I can't remember the last time anyone thought the East was a tough conference.
I honestly think the Lakers would have made the playoffs even if LBJ was not injured, maybe not holding the fourth spot, but definitely still make it.

No doubt LBJ had the benefit of a weak eastern conference his career, but a shame the Lakers won't make it this year. It just doesn't seem like the playoffs without LBJ in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 3,327,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It just doesn't seem like the playoffs without LBJ in it.
Considering it's been what, 2005, the last time he wasn't in the playoffs, and he's been to the last 8 straight NBA Finals, averaging a little over 95 games played during that stretch (2011-12 was a shorten season), the guy needs a rest.

I mean, he can still go to the playoffs, as a fan and sit courtside next to James Goldstein!

Old 03-09-2019, 08:12 AM

5,444 posts, read 1,550,803 times
LeBron's Cavs were not entertaining, so the playoffs aren't hurt at all by LeBron's absence.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:26 PM

51,994 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
But when the Lakers were 4th, had they played a difficult schedule or an easy schedule?
And even more importantly, even if they never had injuries, would they have remained consistent enough when we know they didn't have enough perimeter shooters?
I have my doubts, and in the first quarter of the season the standings are often very tight and only later on do we find out who are the real playoff teams....
Yeah LeBron can carry a team through the Eastern playoffs, but prior to this season I can't remember the last time anyone thought the East was a tough conference.
The east was where it was at back in the 90's and prior.

It is a decades long cycle, especially with the east having some many horrible owners\franchises that you couldn't fix if you gave them a top 5 draft pick every year for forever.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM

17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Considering it's been what, 2005, the last time he wasn't in the playoffs, and he's been to the last 8 straight NBA Finals, averaging a little over 95 games played during that stretch (2011-12 was a shorten season), the guy needs a rest.

I mean, he can still go to the playoffs, as a fan and sit courtside next to James Goldstein!
Barkley invited him to the studio for the playoffs on TNT, lol.

One thing is for sure, this was certainly an entertaining season for the Lakers as I had predicted, with more drama, intrigue, and backstabbing than several seasons of Game of Thrones.

Ingram is out with a deep vein thrombosis in his right arm, could be a bad sign for the future. Ball is shut down for the season (again). Van Gundy suggested Lakers trade LBJ, lol.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:03 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,619,333 times
Quote:
LeBron's Cavs were not entertaining, so the playoffs aren't hurt at all by LeBron's absence.
You weren’t entertained by 4th seed eastern cavs tearing through the playoffs last season into the finals? Indiana Toronto and Boston all went out at the hands of Lebron and his Cavs.

I still say JR Smith not keeping track of the score causing the cavs to lose finals game 1 took the wind out of LeBron...that was a tough one and the cavs would have won that game and possibly the finals but for that idiot move by Smith.

Last edited by Kamms; 03-10-2019 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 3,327,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ingram is out with a deep vein thrombosis in his right arm, could be a bad sign for the future. Ball is shut down for the season (again). Van Gundy suggested Lakers trade LBJ, lol.
It will be an interesting Lakers offseason for sure, with 3 years left on his contract, I guess you try and go after some free agents and maybe some minor trades, draft a good player you need and can use immediately, in the 1st round (do they even have a 1st round pick this year, haven't paid attention with previous year's trades?), maybe keep Walton and just hope for the best in LeBron Year 2!

I just think the Lakers over the next 3 years, are going to trying everything and anything and do the proverbial "throw crap at the wall and see what sticks" over that period. The odds they will find the right mix of characters seems pretty low.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:41 PM

63 posts, read 5,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot
If LeBron approaches this season like he did last season (dominating the offense), the Lakers youngsters won't see a rise in their own PPG nor their APG.
Only their FG% will improve.
Yes it will improve and I feel they are going to do better than most think... 50+ wins

We will have to wait and see........

Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 20 hours ago)

3,399 posts, read 597,517 times
OP predicted no more than 45 wins. Current record projects to 37 wins. Lebron missed 18 games, over 20% of the season, which could not have been predicted, so OP was pretty prescient.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 1,550,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You weren’t entertained by 4th seed eastern cavs tearing through the playoffs last season into the finals? Indiana Toronto and Boston all went out at the hands of Lebron and his Cavs.

I still say JR Smith not keeping track of the score causing the cavs to lose finals game 1 took the wind out of LeBron...that was a tough one and the cavs would have won that game and possibly the finals but for that idiot move by Smith.
There's nothing entertaining about a lopsided series vs Eastern chokers, and especially when its a one-man team, and even more so when its LeBron, because let's face it, he has no notable moves (plus he moves in a mechanical way compared to other athletically gifted players), and there are dozens of more entertaining players in today's NBA.
So nah, I didn't find last year's Cavs entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or