U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If Lebron makes the finals my hat is off to him. The Warriors are pretty much a lock for the western finals so the Lakers have to go through them at some point. And they may also have to go through the Rockets. Thunder, Jazz or Pelicans may also be difficult outs for them....all 3 probably as good or better than the Pacers who went 7 games.
I would be very surprised if the Lakers go pass the 2nd round of the playoffs next season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 PM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So the consensus here seems to be 45-55 wins, which would mean the Lakers probably make the playoffs. If so, then w/ LBJ on your team, anything can happen. If he can take Love, Smith, Hill, and Thompson to the finals, who knows what he could do with this group.
1) The vegas over under last I saw was 47.5 wins and even that I think is optimistic because with this many new players it's going to take them a while to gel.

2) Lebron got them to the finals in the east where is main opposition was missing their best player and still almost got beat. Then they got crushed when they finally ran into a good\healthy team.

I like Lebron a lot, don't get me wrong but he's not playing in the east anymore guys. Talk about the Lakers in the WCF is at the far edge of sanity. Lakers in the finals this year? Call an ambulance folks, you're having a stroke.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:03 PM

498 posts, read 141,812 times
I'd say LA will be either the 4th or 5th seed in the West this year.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would be very surprised if the Lakers go pass the 2nd round of the playoffs next season
The seeding will be very unpredictable in the West, because there will be a lot of teams in the 46-53 win area. It's possible that the Lakers get favorable matchups in the first two rounds, but there is no running from the WCF. I also think the Lakers will be chasing roster moves before the trade deadline. I can't imagine LBJ happy with the FO standing pat on these young guys and the weird vets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) The vegas over under last I saw was 47.5 wins and even that I think is optimistic because with this many new players it's going to take them a while to gel.

2) Lebron got them to the finals in the east where is main opposition was missing their best player and still almost got beat. Then they got crushed when they finally ran into a good\healthy team.

I like Lebron a lot, don't get me wrong but he's not playing in the east anymore guys. Talk about the Lakers in the WCF is at the far edge of sanity. Lakers in the finals this year? Call an ambulance folks, you're having a stroke.
I think I predicted 48 wins. I think it's fair. LeBron might be the best floor-raiser in NBA history. The Lakers will have great length for the defensive end, but the team defense will take some time to develop. This team could definitely add a piece or two on the trade market. It needs some shooting.

The playoffs will be tough. The West had probably the 3 best teams in the playoffs last year (GSW, HOU, NOP). The Pelicans went mostly sideways this offseason, and Houston took a step back. OKC took a step forward with the subtraction of Melo. The Spurs will improve with the addition of DeRozan. The Wolves will improve with a year of experience for Towns & Wiggins. The Jazz will improve with a year of experience for Mitchell.

The WCF strikes me as unlikely, but possible. If the Lakers draw, say, the Blazers and the Jazz in the first two rounds, then I think they have an inside track to the WCF. If they draw, say, Houston and the Warriors, then I would say they have virtually no chance.

I think we can pencil in the Warriors for the 1 seed & about 60 wins. I think the next 8 teams are the Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Nuggets, Pelicans, Jazz, and Blazers, and I can see them all around the high 40s/low 50s in wins. I think seeding will be wildly unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
I'd say LA will be either the 4th or 5th seed in the West this year.
I don't have any confidence about their seed. I think 2-9 are all on the table.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
I think the Lakers are going to be pretty darn good, LeBron will bring the best out of the youngsters on the team. And I think the Lakers for the second year in a row got the steal of the draft, last year it was IMO Kyle Kuzma, this year it is Svi Mykhailiuk!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIfwm6fZBc

He reminds me a lot of Drazen Petrovic for those who are old enough to remember him.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 08-13-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

To me, making it to the 2nd round is my expectation for them this year, now next year will be a different story.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think the Lakers are going to be pretty darn good, LeBron will bring the best out of the youngsters on the team. And I think the Lakers for the second year in a row got the steal of the draft, last year it was IMO Kyle Kuzma, this year it is Svi Mykhailiuk!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIfwm6fZBc

He reminds me a lot of Drazen Petrovic for those who are old enough to remember him.
If you look back at the Cavs when he returned he either:

1) Developed a player.
2) Drove them out and had them traded.

No knock on Lebron there, I agree with him.

We just have to wait and see just how much disruption (or not) occurs.

This Laker team has way less talent than the Cleveland team Lebron came back to and also is in a vastly harder West.

I'll say this much, at least this gives me something interesting to watch in the NBA.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM

I'd also like to add that Dan Gilbert is one of the 4-5 dumbest owners in the NBA right up there with teams like the Knicks and Orlando. (And the Lakers before they dumped Short-Buss)

He got lucky as heck that Lebron came along and bailed him out after he collected huge piles of draft picks and talent with crappy teams...and after he maligned James for leaving.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I think I predicted 48 wins. I think it's fair. LeBron might be the best floor-raiser in NBA history. The Lakers will have great length for the defensive end, but the team defense will take some time to develop. This team could definitely add a piece or two on the trade market. It needs some shooting.
We'll see. Injuries are obviously the big wildcard.

If I think 44 and you think 48 we're clearly in the same neighborhood.

Again, I'm just kinda excited this is happening as it adds some flavor to the regular season which has been boring me lately.

Heck, I'll probably root for the Lakers a little this year. I always like the underdog.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 PM

498 posts, read 141,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The seeding will be very unpredictable in the West, because there will be a lot of teams in the 46-53 win area. It's possible that the Lakers get favorable matchups in the first two rounds, but there is no running from the WCF. I also think the Lakers will be chasing roster moves before the trade deadline. I can't imagine LBJ happy with the FO standing pat on these young guys and the weird vets.

The playoffs will be tough. The West had probably the 3 best teams in the playoffs last year (GSW, HOU, NOP). The Pelicans went mostly sideways this offseason, and Houston took a step back. OKC took a step forward with the subtraction of Melo. The Spurs will improve with the addition of DeRozan. The Wolves will improve with a year of experience for Towns & Wiggins. The Jazz will improve with a year of experience for Mitchell.

The WCF strikes me as unlikely, but possible. If the Lakers draw, say, the Blazers and the Jazz in the first two rounds, then I think they have an inside track to the WCF. If they draw, say, Houston and the Warriors, then I would say they have virtually no chance.

I think we can pencil in the Warriors for the 1 seed & about 60 wins. I think the next 8 teams are the Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Nuggets, Pelicans, Jazz, and Blazers, and I can see them all around the high 40s/low 50s in wins. I think seeding will be wildly unpredictable.

I don't have any confidence about their seed. I think 2-9 are all on the table.
Seeding from 2-9 will definitely be all on the table due to how wild the West is. With LeBron James now out West, you could call it the Uber-Wild West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or