Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 4,340,156 times

Advertisements

Paul George didn't even want to play in LA....
And Long Beach native Westbrook has never shown an interest either.
And if you win a championship in LA it won't mean as much, because you'll be overshadowed by all the many legends in Laker history.
Whereas you'll be talked about as the centerpiece of your franchise history if you win a ring for someone else.
I know role-players may be happy coming to LA, because they were never going to be a centerpiece anyway, but superstars have an ego and like to be appreciated historically, not overshadowed by 20 legends....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,460 times
I vote for 50-55. 25-30 of them are single won by Lebron

Old 09-18-2018, 10:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
[quote=magaalot;53022845]Paul George didn't even want to play in LA....
And Long Beach native Westbrook has never shown an interest either.
And if you win a championship in LA it won't mean as much, because you'll be overshadowed by all the many legends in Laker history.
Whereas you'll be talked about as the centerpiece of your franchise history if you win a ring for someone else.
I know role-players may be happy coming to LA, because they were never going to be a centerpiece anyway, but superstars have an ego and like to be appreciated historically, not overshadowed by 20 legends....[/quote]

I sooo don't agree to this at all, superstars want to be in superstar clubs. Kobe never said I don't want to be a Laker superstar because they already have so many in their history!! They want their number hanging amongst the other superstar HOFers.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 PM

10,744 posts, read 4,340,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I sooo don't agree to this at all, superstars want to be in superstar clubs. Kobe never said I don't want to be a Laker superstar because they already have so many in their history!! They want their number hanging amongst the other superstar HOFers.
I don't see how being overshadowed is a good thing.
I'd rather be the only top tier legend in my franchise history and be responsible for the only championships in my franchise history.
Michael Jordan is the perfect example.
If Jordan had joined the Lakers, he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Magic and Kareem forever and would be just one of the guys.
Instead he's mentioned pretty much all on his own, despite Pippen being his teammate, its primarily Jordan's franchise and Jordan's championships.
Jordan is not part of a "winning legacy" or winning tradition.
Jordan arrived, Bulls won 6 rings, and that's their history.
I like the sound of that a lot more than "Jordan added to the Lakers storied franchise"....

Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Things change, eras change.

1) "Big Market" is officially dead as any sort of major factor just as certainly as the internet has killed the newspaper.

2) Major stars won't join clubs that smell like the back-end of a cow. Hence Magic is in charge and Short-buss out the door. It took years for Laker fans here to recognize that they wouldn't just get top talent because they're "the Lakers". I think a collective mental apology to the greatest owner in NBA history like Dr. Buss is in order for making it look easy.

3) I cannot possibly speak to the mindset of each of the great individual players for what teams they may or may not want to join. They're all individuals. They have their own professional goals as well as personal lives.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:24 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
I think the market does still matter, as there are some smaller markets that players just don't care to go play for. Memphis is an example of this, as I live in Memphis and the local sportswriters all view the city itself as the reason that the Grizzlies can't really compete for free agents.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I think the market does still matter, as there are some smaller markets that players just don't care to go play for. Memphis is an example of this, as I live in Memphis and the local sportswriters all view the city itself as the reason that the Grizzlies can't really compete for free agents.
The Knicks have had the same problem.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Knicks have had the same problem.
The Knicks' problem hasn't been a small city/unattractive city/small market but rather poor ownership/bad front office.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Things change, eras change.

1) "Big Market" is officially dead as any sort of major factor just as certainly as the internet has killed the newspaper.

2) Major stars won't join clubs that smell like the back-end of a cow. Hence Magic is in charge and Short-buss out the door. It took years for Laker fans here to recognize that they wouldn't just get top talent because they're "the Lakers". I think a collective mental apology to the greatest owner in NBA history like Dr. Buss is in order for making it look easy.

3) I cannot possibly speak to the mindset of each of the great individual players for what teams they may or may not want to join. They're all individuals. They have their own professional goals as well as personal lives.

I don't think it is about being in a big market. It's about being in a great organization, where winning championships is part of the history of the team. The Lakers had 5 years of being in the dumps, Jeanie Buss rectified that problem by cleaning house. Now LA is becoming that destination organization for players who want to compete for an NBA title. This wont be that year, next year we will be back to competing for a title. My prediction for how many wins: It is 51 wins.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The Knicks' problem hasn't been a small city/unattractive city/small market but rather poor ownership/bad front office.
But none of that matters. They're a "big market" back when you dialed a phone to call in your "scoops" lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball