U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many regular season wins for the lakers in 2018-19?
35-40 11 18.03%
40-45 15 24.59%
45-50 16 26.23%
50-55 15 24.59%
55-60 2 3.28%
60+ 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:12 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times

Advertisements

The Lakers finished 35-47 last year. They've added Lebron, Michael Beasley, Lance Stevenson, Rajon Rondo, and Kentavious Caldwell Pope. Also rookie Moe Wagner, drafted #25.

They have Kyle Kuzma coming off a pretty good rookie year, and Brandon Ingram an improved 2nd year. Lonzo Ball is said to have been working on his shot all summer, but last I heard had no plans to retool his form. He shot .305 in threes and .451 in free throws as a rookie. If he can't drastically improve that, the Lakers now have Rondo as insurance, but Rondo is also a very poor free throw shooter: .543 last year, and .604 for his career. I hadn't realized that about Rondo. Beasley actually put up some nice numbers for the Knicks last year, including .395 in threes.

I still see this as no better than a 45 win team. Last year the Nuggets won 46 games and did not make the playoffs. The Spurs and T-wolves were the bottom two Western Conference playoff teams with 47 wins. If guys like Beasley, Stevenson, and Pope can produce well, maybe they can make the playoffs. Then as we saw last year, with LeBron on your side in the playoffs, anything can happen.

What do you think? Here's a optimistic 4 minute discussion from NBA TV. They seem to think at least 45 wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T93eSkYHKc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:34 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
They have Lebron, which guarantees them a complete turnaround. Look what he did with the Cavs. Lebron plus the serviceable vets added should mesh well with Kuzma and Ingram to a team which should be one of the better teams behind the Warriors. I can see the Lakers, Rockets (weaker), Spurs and maybe the Jazz fighting for the 2-4 spots in the West. The Wolves are being held back by Thibs and the Thunder will will only improve with a great season from PG3.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
I’m thinking we will hear plenty of drama when they hit a losing streak or a winning streak...as we did with the Cavs last year. I’m guessing 46 wins and maybe a 4th or 5th seed.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 AM

5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
LeBron made the Cavs the 4th seed in the East.
He should be able to make the Lakers a 10th, 9th or 8th seed in the West.
The Lakers are more talented than those Cavs but the Lakers are missing the most important thing for this era and especially for a LeBron offense - 3-pointers.
On top of that you are minimizing LeBron's best skill (playmaking) by having Lonzo Ball and Rondo.
I'm not sure how much you can improve a team if they can't even shoot, but I'll say the Lakers improve by 5 wins so 40-42 record.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,872,849 times
As currently constructed, I see the Lakers as a 48-win team, battling for 5th-10th in the West. This team doesn't have much shooting. The defensive fit may actually be pretty good, but it will take time to gel. LBJ is going to face tougher competition than he's used to--and more travel. The Cavs were routinely amongst the least miles traveled, and western teams--especially California teams--are always among the highest in miles traveled. Kuzma is the only one of the Lakers' young guys who has demonstrated that he's ready for the pros. We've seen only flashes from Ingram & Ball--and lots of questions. LBJ doesn't have a player of Love's caliber on this roster at this point. He's still great, but he needs a better roster to compete.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times
It has to be noted that Lebron turns 34 mid-season, yet will be in a position where he has to carry an even heavier load than with the Cavs. At least with the Cavs, even last year, he had experienced vets around him--Smith, Love, Thompson & Hill. Now he has young guys, and even the vets they added don't have much experience on winning teams, except Rondo.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:08 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,014,408 times
Let me start this off with I like LeBron James. He's a real personable kinda guy. I think he's made a few bad career decisions over the years but then everybody makes mistakes. In regards to the Lakers, I'm not expecting him to be the game changer at all. He'll be 34 years old. The sharp,explosive moves are going to be dulled by age. What he brings to the Lakers is not his game but his experience and how to play the big games. IF they make the payoffs, that's where he'll shine for the Lakers. He can lead the team if they will follow him thru the playoffs. Otherwise, I think everybodies expectations of what he's going to bring to the Lakers is absurd. His strong arm game isn't what it once was. As a Spurs fan, we saw the same thing Duncan and Robinson. Once they hit 34, game went down. Same with Tony Paker, Ginobilli. Considering the average age of the NBA is 26.8 years, age 34 is a grandpa. While Lakers will win more games, there's no guarantee that they'll make the playoffs. Should make for an interesting season.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,369,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Let me start this off with I like LeBron James. He's a real personable kinda guy. I think he's made a few bad career decisions over the years but then everybody makes mistakes. In regards to the Lakers, I'm not expecting him to be the game changer at all. He'll be 34 years old. The sharp,explosive moves are going to be dulled by age. What he brings to the Lakers is not his game but his experience and how to play the big games. IF they make the payoffs, that's where he'll shine for the Lakers. He can lead the team if they will follow him thru the playoffs. Otherwise, I think everybodies expectations of what he's going to bring to the Lakers is absurd. His strong arm game isn't what it once was. As a Spurs fan, we saw the same thing Duncan and Robinson. Once they hit 34, game went down. Same with Tony Paker, Ginobilli. Considering the average age of the NBA is 26.8 years, age 34 is a grandpa. While Lakers will win more games, there's no guarantee that they'll make the playoffs. Should make for an interesting season.

I think that besides his age, the one thing that concerns me if Iím a Laker fan is how much gas he has left.
LeBron James has played a lot of games. Besides the fact he has been in this league since he was 18, in the last 8 years , he has played at least 60 regular season games, some seasons he played the entire regular season, add to that the playoffs, and a long drawn out playoffs ( he has made it to the Finals the last 8 years), plus if he played in any Olympics or World Tournaments ( Iím not sure about those), these games add up. He has played a total of 239 playoff games, thatís almost an extra 3 regular seasons. These games add up.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 AM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
I'm thinking somewhere between 45-50 wins, so about 10-15 wins better with LeBron. The West is still loaded with a lot of talent & good teams, inevitable they'll hit a lull, and inevitable they'll sit some starters down the road. Even 50 wins is stretching it on the high side, but can't see how they get past 50. A 26 year old LeBron James would have a difficult time adding 15 extra wins, for a 34 year old LeBron James with the tons of extra miles he's had on his legs with all the NBA Finals appearances and the Olympics I think that is going to be almost impossible for him, and as a previous poster noted the veteran talent ring chasers in LA aren't necessarily as good as the ring chasers in Cleveland, and the youngsters still need a bit more experience.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:47 AM

5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
If LeBron approaches this season like he did last season (dominating the offense), the Lakers youngsters won't see a rise in their own PPG nor their APG.
Only their FG% will improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or