U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 AM

4,333 posts, read 1,883,346 times

Advertisements

To be fair it has as much to do with the Warriors not meeting expectations as it does the Lakers exceeding theirs so far.

I am hopefully optimistic for the rest of the year. If you make a case for a team together better through the year it could be the Lakers with a new piece in lebron and lots of young players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:12 AM

5,522 posts, read 1,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Everyone was trashing them in that Lakers prediction thread, but I was one of the few who put them at 50+ wins. Any team Lebron joins becomes an instant contender, no matter how bad the previous season.
Well the Lakers are obviously not a contender at the moment.
Look what Denver did to them....
And the standings are so close, the Lakers are one game away from 7th.
With teams like Houston and San Antonio still outside the top 8, its just as likely the Lakers won't make the playoffs.
I definitely expect Houston to enter the top 8.
Minnesota are on the rise too, may come in, and San Antonio are always a chance.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 AM

4,278 posts, read 2,891,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Well the Lakers are obviously not a contender at the moment.
Look what Denver did to them....
And the standings are so close, the Lakers are one game away from 7th.
With teams like Houston and San Antonio still outside the top 8, its just as likely the Lakers won't make the playoffs.
I definitely expect Houston to enter the top 8.
Minnesota are on the rise too, may come in, and San Antonio are always a chance.
Maaaan, you're a hater! I like you though, Maga, I really do lol...

I could easily say, look what the Nuggets did to Golden State, held them to 24% shooting from 3, forced 18 turnovers. The Nuggets are gonna do that to alot of teams, they are one of the top four teams in the NBA to this point. They are continuing to grow and will finish with a top three seed in The West and be a tough out for everybody, Warriors included, because they have the length, physicality, and matchups to defend Golden State. They are also younger than GS and can play at their pace, and haven't lost a game by more than 10 points this year, only team in the NBA that can say that. This is a real team, they aren't as team you can blow out...

The Nuggets are a sleeper pick for The Finals and if I had guts I'd pick em, but I don't right now...

The entire 1-14 in The West is separated by 5 games right now. That's insane and while it would seem unfathomable, given what we've seen so far, the Warriors and everybody else "just as likely" could miss the playoffs. Show me what you can do, don't tell me. From what I've seen, the Warriors season is 30% finished and they've yet to prove they are above the pack. With Steph they've been played well by good teams and lost to Milwaukee, Denver, Detroit. They better hope he doesn't get hurt again because they are clearly mortal without him (5-6). Listen, I expect them to go on a tear and begin to separate at some point too, but let's not act as if there isn't cause to pause. One team that will remain on their hip all year will likely be Denver...

At least you've lowered your expectations on Houstob lol. Your initial statement was they'd get the 1-seed lmao! That team ain't sniffing the top seed and probably won't get home court period...

I feel like Philly is close to being able to run for the 2-seed, the chemistry is improving. They aren't better than the Raptors and they still need to prove that they are elite come April, but it's looking good...

Old 12-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Maaaan, you're a hater! I like you though, Maga, I really do lol...

I could easily say, look what the Nuggets did to Golden State, held them to 24% shooting from 3, forced 18 turnovers. The Nuggets are gonna do that to alot of teams, they are one of the top four teams in the NBA to this point. They are continuing to grow and will finish with a top three seed in The West and be a tough out for everybody, Warriors included, because they have the length, physicality, and matchups to defend Golden State. They are also younger than GS and can play at their pace, and haven't lost a game by more than 10 points this year, only team in the NBA that can say that. This is a real team, they aren't as team you can blow out...

The Nuggets are a sleeper pick for The Finals and if I had guts I'd pick em, but I don't right now...

The entire 1-14 in The West is separated by 5 games right now. That's insane and while it would seem unfathomable, given what we've seen so far, the Warriors and everybody else "just as likely" could miss the playoffs. Show me what you can do, don't tell me. From what I've seen, the Warriors season is 30% finished and they've yet to prove they are above the pack. With Steph they've been played well by good teams and lost to Milwaukee, Denver, Detroit. They better hope he doesn't get hurt again because they are clearly mortal without him (5-6). Listen, I expect them to go on a tear and begin to separate at some point too, but let's not act as if there isn't cause to pause. One team that will remain on their hip all year will likely be Denver...

At least you've lowered your expectations on Houstob lol. Your initial statement was they'd get the 1-seed lmao! That team ain't sniffing the top seed and probably won't get home court period...

I feel like Philly is close to being able to run for the 2-seed, the chemistry is improving. They aren't better than the Raptors and they still need to prove that they are elite come April, but it's looking good...
When Golden State lose, I don't really count it as a loss, because this is the regular season and they know they don't even need a high seeding to win the championship.....so their motivation renders their regular season results irrelevant.
I wouldn't put a limit on Houston, because if Paul stays healthy they can literally win 15 in a row, they are that good.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 AM

Chris Paul has clearly lost a step. His advanced numbers indicate this and have all been in decline for three years. I still think he is good enough to make them respectable but they aren't good enough to go on a 15-game run...

Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Chris Paul has clearly lost a step. His advanced numbers indicate this and have all been in decline for three years. I still think he is good enough to make them respectable but they aren't good enough to go on a 15-game run...
Despite not being themselves, they won 5 in a row this season - Indiana, Denver, Golden State, Sacramento, Detroit - and I'm certain they'll improve on that form.
The only question is whether they'll win 10 in a row, or 15.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 PM

26,106 posts, read 13,579,286 times
Raps couldn't sink a BB in a bathtub from the beyond the toilet but a tip of the toque to Denver for taking a hard-fought game on enemy court. It nearly had playoff intensity at times.

The Nuggets are for real. Jokic is a monster.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Raps couldn't sink a BB in a bathtub from the beyond the toilet but a tip of the toque to Denver for taking a hard-fought game on enemy court. It nearly had playoff intensity at times.

The Nuggets are for real. Jokic is a monster.
The West is 10 times more interesting this season, so despite the hype of Toronto/Boston, I think Golden State's main challengers will come from the West.
Denver and LA Clippers are exactly what the NBA needed, and OKC too now doing a job.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The West is 10 times more interesting this season, so despite the hype of Toronto/Boston, I think Golden State's main challengers will come from the West.
Denver and LA Clippers are exactly what the NBA needed, and OKC too now doing a job.
Boston was overhyped from the start. I won't be surprised if they really to a Top 3 seed, I said that from the start, but the Raptors are the best team in The East and a viable contender...

The Clippers won't be able to sustain a Top 3 seed. The Nuggets and OKC will, OKC was my preseason pick to meet GS in The Finals. I would love and OKC/Denver WCF, or at least for one of them to knock off GS. They are both threats...

I told you Denver is a real team lol, I've already seen about six of their games...

Old 12-05-2018, 02:05 AM

Is there any doubt that Luka Doncic is the future of the NBA? Look at all of the picks of the last four years and tell me who has a higher ceiling than Luka?

Towns, Booker, Porzingis, Rozier, Simmons, Ingram, Brown, Buddy, Murray, Tatum, Fox, Markannen, Ayton, Bagley, Young...

Only Porzingis looks like he has as no ceiling, provided he returns to form and keeps developing. A bunch of these guys will turn into good-to-great players but Luka looks like he will be be Top 3 of anybody in this group, and he will be a Top 10 player in the NBA in two years, and stay at that elite status for a long time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball