U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 AM

4,215 posts, read 2,849,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Milwaukee has been the best team in the East to this point. We will see if their shooters deliver in the playoffs as they have delivered thus far in the regular season. The 76ers have a nice option to defend Giannis in Jimmy Butler. Milwaukee's attack runs through Giannis' physicality and paint attack. Butler's elite defense could really alter the Bucks' gameplan in a playoff series, and I'm not sure that the Bucks will have an answer (Kawhi presents the same problem for the Bucks--and the Raps are loaded with other wing defenders, too)

Butler deserves a supermax. He delivers tremendous value as a wing who is an elite defender and a well-rounded offensive talent. It would be a mistake to let him leave, just like it was a mistake in Minnesota.

I like the skills Doncic brings. I'm not sold on him rapidly ascending to a top 10 player. His shooting is pretty good, but not elite. His finishing isn't that good. He's capable of making some beautiful passes, but he hasn't shown the ability to run an offense yet. The Mavs aren't very good defensively (unsurprising), but he has to get better on that end--especially if he won't develop into a full-time point guard.

The Rockets had an epic failure of an offseason. They were right on the cusp of a title, and they sacrificed all future flexibility without even trying to run it back once with a championship-caliber team. They figured out that you need two stars who can create offense off of the dribble, 2 starting wings who can shoot and defend, a speed 5, and a PJ Tucker--a wing with power forward physique or a power forward with wing height--all of that puts you on the level of the Warriors. And then they let the two starting wings walk, knowing that one of the two stars is aging and will be aging quickly.

Chris Paul has been an excellent player for a long time, but he obviously won't deliver good value on that contract.

The Raps look great, they have the best player in the East, and that player has won a title and has led a team on a deep playoff run. The Bucks have the best point differential in the East. I think the Raps have to be the East's favorite, with a relatively narrow gap before the Bucks. The 76ers are a question mark, and need some time to gel with Butler--they are clearly a couple steps behind at this point. The Cs don't have it yet. They might get it, but Stevens is struggling to find the right combinations and lineups at this point. This looks like a team without identity.

I'm inclined to agree with you about Milwaukee after last night. I like how Toronto matches up with the Warriors better, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM

5,468 posts, read 1,558,999 times
New Orleans are nothing without Rondo.
Davis ain't an MVP.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
New Orleans are nothing without Rondo.
Davis ain't an MVP.
Yet you're advocating for Jimmy Butler, who hasn't shown he can lead a team, much less coexist with other star players. Davis is way better than that guy...

AD is a great player. He can be inconsistent but it's not a stretch to call him a Top 5 player at worst (a lot of people rank him higher). Your guy Butler probably only barely cracks the Top 15, if even that, and your guy Simmons is maybe Top 20 lmao...

Old 12-11-2018, 05:52 PM

915 posts, read 1,664,579 times
Kyle Lowery is in a major slump. Only 4 made field goals in the last 4 games and is shooting under 20% from the field. This could be a big problem for the Raptors if he doesn't get his act together.

Maybe Houston shouldn't have signed Chris Paul to a 4 year $160 million contract at age 33. A 36 year point guard making 40+ million a year. Yikes.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:10 PM

915 posts, read 1,664,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Yet you're advocating for Jimmy Butler, who hasn't shown he can lead a team, much less coexist with other star players. Davis is way better than that guy...

AD is a great player. He can be inconsistent but it's not a stretch to call him a Top 5 player at worst (a lot of people rank him higher). Your guy Butler probably only barely cracks the Top 15, if even that, and your guy Simmons is maybe Top 20 lmao...
Anthony Davis is top player, but his major problem is that he is injury prone. It's been a problem he has had since he came into the NBA. With this being said I put him at number 4.

1) Lebron
2) KD
3) Giannis
4) Davis
5) Curry
6) Leonard
7) Embiid
8) Westbrook
9) Harden
10) Kyrie
11) Lillard
12) Derozan
13) Klay Thompson
14) Jimmy Butler
15) Karl Anthony Towns
16) Kemba
17) Blake Griffin
18) Paul George
19) Ben Simmons
20) Chris Paul

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Kyle Lowery is in a major slump. Only 4 made field goals in the last 4 games and is shooting under 20% from the field. This could be a big problem for the Raptors if he doesn't get his act together.

Maybe Houston shouldn't have signed Chris Paul to a 4 year $160 million contract at age 33. A 36 year point guard making 40+ million a year. Yikes.
Lowry has been slumping since he publicly slammed Masai. I don't feel bad for him either, but I do like the Raptors, so I do want him to snap out of it...

Houston was desperate in signing Chris Paul to that ridiculous deal but neglected other facets that made them a great team...

Quote:
Anthony Davis is top player, but his major problem is that he is injury prone. It's been a problem he has had since he came into the NBA. With this being said I put him at number 4.

1) Lebron
2) KD
3) Giannis
4) Davis
5) Curry
6) Leonard
7) Embiid
8) Westbrook
9) Harden
10) Kyrie
11) Lillard
12) Derozan
13) Klay Thompson
14) Jimmy Butler
15) Karl Anthony Towns
16) Kemba
17) Blake Griffin
18) Paul George
19) Ben Simmons
20) Chris Paul
Giannis is not better than Curry, AD or Kawhi. Giannis is #6 at best. I like the guy, but at his best he hasn't yet controlled a game like the Top 5, he hasn't won a playoff series, he can't shoot...

I'm definitely pushing back on people who think Kyrie is better than Lillard. He's proven himself to be better in the playoffs, but then we also have to add he did that playing next to an All-Timer. Kyrie's load was significantly lighter, and I don't necessarily think he can't be a great playoff performer without Boston, but that hasn't been proven yet. So he's a better clutch performer than Lillard, but Dame also hasn't had a chance to play without the pressure of being The Guy. Kyrie has never had to handle that pressure...

Besides that, they are comparable players. Dame lacks the injury history of Kyrie, so I give him the edge, plus he's a more consistent scorer...

Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 PM

12,205 posts, read 10,443,694 times
Quote:

Probably not, but they were between a rock and hard place; either overpay for Paul or go back to being the team they were before he arrived, which was even uglier than it is now. Harden alone canít, and probably has no desire to, carry a team to greatness.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 PM

25,931 posts, read 13,475,238 times
Quote:

Lowry woke up some tonight. Scored 21, including four from deep, as the Raps stung the Clippers without Kawhi.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 AM

5,468 posts, read 1,558,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

I hope you get some reading lessons soon.....
I never said any of Philly's players were Top 15 or Top 20 or Top 50 for that matter.
And Philly don't have a sole leader, more by committee.
AD's biggest problem is basketball IQ, and that's where Rondo saved him last season.
But yes, you can't read, so before you waste any more of my time.....let's dispose of you into the ignore bin.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 AM

Lmao...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball