U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 2,854,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think CP was ok with it.

When he's on, Rivers is a good player, fearless.

I don't think he's universally liked by the NBA though.
He's not a very likable guy, but hell, neither is Paul. Guys respect Paul's game and he has the players' ears in CBA rooms, but a ton of guys don't like him either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Through 36 games in 2015, the Warriors were 31-5. In 2016 they were 34-2, 2017 they were 31-5, and in 2018 they were 28-8. This year, they are 23-13. Where is CityBridge? Lol...

I think we need to be really cautious on assuming this team has a switch that previous teams had. Every sports show I watch, every analyst I hear, keeps saying they aren't worried, Boogie is joining the lineup soon, this team will be fine in April, this team will 3peat. I have yet to hear a single analyst pick against Golden State for the championship. There is no way I'm the only guy watching these games. It's like people are afraid to publicly say they think the Warriors might not win it all..

Old 12-28-2018, 04:04 PM

12,221 posts, read 10,451,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Through 36 games in 2015, the Warriors were 31-5. In 2016 they were 34-2, 2017 they were 31-5, and in 2018 they were 28-8. This year, they are 23-13. Where is CityBridge? Lol...

I think we need to be really cautious on assuming this team has a switch that previous teams had. Every sports show I watch, every analyst I hear, keeps saying they aren't worried, Boogie is joining the lineup soon, this team will be fine in April, this team will 3peat. I have yet to hear a single analyst pick against Golden State for the championship. There is no way I'm the only guy watching these games. It's like people are afraid to publicly say they think the Warriors might not win it all..
Well as the long time Warrior fan on this forum, I am most concerned about the defense and lack of ball movement....the two cornerstones of their championships (along with the 3pt shot). Draymond is not the force this year he was in seasons past, and Klay has been off all year. Since they're such a top-heavy roster, they really struggle when no one but Curry, Durant and maybe Iguodala are playing well.
A couple things they do have going for themselves is defense is something which can corrected fairly quickly, as long as skill-set is there from the start, and that while they may be struggling (for them), the main competition expected to compete with them for the 'chip are looking even worse (Boston and Houston). That's not to say someone else like the Raptors, Sixers or even Lakers can't sneak in and steal it all away from them this year, still.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:12 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,168,117 times
Whoever thought Draymond was worth max money was crazy. Just like Klay isn't worth max money. Dallas paid Barnes, because they had the money and needed a name that was recognizable. Couldn't get Deandre Jordan at that time, so Barnes was more happenstance than anything else. He's been decent to good, but not worth what he's getting paid.

The Warriors are still a solid favorite for the WCF, so they're still one step away from the Finals. I'm not saying they'll plug their leaks, but I am saying I think they'll figure things out, even if that means they lose in a 7 game series in the WCF. This is a team, that if it wasn't for a Chris Paul injury, and a nightmare 3 point shooting night from 3 in game 7 for Houston, likely would have missed the Finals all together. Chris Paul getting injured was the best news for them, because they already knew playing the Cavs was a cake walk. No Kyrie, no problem for the Warriors.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM

I don't disagree about Golden State still being a contender. I can more easily fathom them back in the WCF than The Finals, and I would not be shocked to see them back in The Finals. I would be absolutely stunned to see them win the whole thing this year, though...

Another problem is they are making a habit of getting down big and expecting KD or Steph to shoot them to victory. They barely squeaked by Dallas or LAC or someone last week with this, and we all know that in past years, they've cone back from deficits, but this is a different team. They don't have the depth, they dont have the defensive acuity, and as was mentioned, half of their Big Four is in major decline. We have witnessed several games that it isn't as easy for them to shoot themselves back to victory anymore, especially when KD and Steph are alternately having poor shooting nights. This team has turned into a roster that is over reliant on KD and Steph, and when those guys are off, they are losing...

All that said, the only reason I still have them as a WCF/Finals participant is because they have more top end talent than anybody they will face. Add Boogie, it just gets magnified, and that top end is good enough to carry them all the way, clearly. The problem here is multifold; the consistency is spotty, and compared to previous years, this just isn't a "great" Warriors team. Nobody will match their top end talent, but there are challengers that can score with them, there are certainly challengers that are deeper than them, and there are challengers that play elite defense. This team is giving me 03-04 Lakers vibes, Shaq and Kobe's last hurrah when they got pummeled by Detroit in The Finals. This is going to be it for this assemblage of the Warriors, and as I said in preseason before they played a game, they ain't winning it this year. Nearly halfway thru the year, my belief is only strengthened by watching them play...

In other news, we are almost halfway through the year. Every season, there is always a team that looks awesome in the first half but fades down the stretch, and there's always a team that will come from the basement to make the playoffs. Who do you guys think those teams are this year, that will fade and ramp it up in the 2nd half?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:44 AM

5,477 posts, read 1,563,661 times
With Houston playing well enough to win even without Paul, if they do manage to have Paul healthy in the playoffs they absolutely have a shot at reaching the Finals.
Of course its dependent on Harden showing some level of clutchness in the playoffs (especially with Paul declining), so Golden State remain the favorite.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:10 PM

John Wall out for the year. This guy wouldn't qualify as a bust because he was a perennial All-Star guy, but he has massively underachieved for a #1 overall pick. And I used to be one of his biggest supporters, but now this is back to back seasons lost to injury, as well as mediocre play when he did take the court...

He's only 28, which theoretically could mean he still has time to come back strong, but it isn't looking good. The Washington Wizards (and DC sports in general outside of the Capitals) are a flaming hot mess. The best thing they can do, it will take swallowing a large ass humble pie and admitting you were wrong for giving Wall that deal, but they have to move him. Obviously no one is going to take him now with the injury, and it will be difficult to find a buyer for him when he's healthy because of the deal, but I would unload him to whoever wants him. This franchise is dead until they do, they've hit their ceiling with him. Next summer when he comes back healthy I would be putting all the info out about his rehab and conditioning and get rid of this guy to the first team...

I really liked Wall for years and at his best I thought he was worthy of Top 10-15 consideration. He isn't a winner, though. And he's a horrible leader. Not a bust, but definitely a huge underachiever for what you thought he would be coming outta Kentucky eight years ago...

Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 PM

28,312 posts, read 26,328,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
John Wall out for the year. This guy wouldn't qualify as a bust because he was a perennial All-Star guy, but he has massively underachieved for a #1 overall pick. And I used to be one of his biggest supporters, but now this is back to back seasons lost to injury, as well as mediocre play when he did take the court...

He's only 28, which theoretically could mean he still has time to come back strong, but it isn't looking good. The Washington Wizards (and DC sports in general outside of the Capitals) are a flaming hot mess. The best thing they can do, it will take swallowing a large ass humble pie and admitting you were wrong for giving Wall that deal, but they have to move him. Obviously no one is going to take him now with the injury, and it will be difficult to find a buyer for him when he's healthy because of the deal, but I would unload him to whoever wants him. This franchise is dead until they do, they've hit their ceiling with him. Next summer when he comes back healthy I would be putting all the info out about his rehab and conditioning and get rid of this guy to the first team...

I really liked Wall for years and at his best I thought he was worthy of Top 10-15 consideration. He isn't a winner, though. And he's a horrible leader. Not a bust, but definitely a huge underachiever for what you thought he would be coming outta Kentucky eight years ago...
I said this a couple of years ago.

Is John Wall An Underachiever?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said this a couple of years ago.

Is John Wall An Underachiever?
You nailed this!

Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 PM

915 posts, read 1,665,244 times
My surprise team to upend the Warriors is OKC. IMO they are the 2nd best team in the west.

The key to Golden State is Cousins. Golden State has no center now and an average bench. They need to incorporate Cousins into their scheme.

The East is wide open and it will be a battle to the end. I expect the top teams in the east to continue to be strong, maybe Boston will continue to underachieve. Somethings not right with them.

The Wizards have to be the biggest disappointment by far. Indiana, Brooklyn, Dallas and the Clippers are better than I thought. Golden State and Boston are worse than I expected.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 12-29-2018 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball