U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
Reputation: 4497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll use 2 West teams, coincidentally in the same division for this.

Team I think will falter in the second half: Denver. Are they are a good team?? Yes, they are. Are they #1 in the West overall good like they are right now (or were last week not sure if they still are). No. This team is still going to make the playoffs, but I think as a 4-6 seed, so if you count a team dropping from #1 to a #5 than Denver is my falter team.
Team I think will bounce back that is currently out of a playoff spot to a playoff spot: Utah. The first half of 2018 was bad for them, but I think they bounce back with a couple 5, 6, 7 game winning streaks to sneak in as a bottom seed in the playoffs 6, 7, 8. I don't see them jumping up to a 4 seed like they did last year, but I still expect at least 2 home playoff games in Salt Lake City this year.
No, Denver is real. You gotta think, they have been one of the two or three most injury depleted teams in The League this year (Michael Porter and Isaiah Thomas haven't even suited up yet, Gary Harris out, Millsap, etc), and they have still maintained a Top 2 seed in The West. Denver is real and provided they maintain continuity, they are a year away from running the NBA...

I'm gonna submit the Clippers as a candidate to fade down the stretch. They've maintained a Top 4 seed throughout the first half, I think they well regress and fall to around 6-8...

I feel like a couple teams will make a run in the second half. Indiana is a damn good team, they will push for the 1 seed. The Brooklyn Nets will sneak into the 8th seed this year. I think the Lakers and the Spurs will both push for the 4 seed...

By the way, I don't think the Rockets are real. Harden has almost a 40% usage rate, leading the NBA, that is not sustainable. You can win like this in December and January. After the break, when teams become motivated to push for seeding, they aren't winning at anywhere near this same pace. That said, I like how Harden has stepped up in Paul's absence. He's been a great player for a long time, but this is a level of leadership I've never seen with him before. I can respect that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 PM
 
5,430 posts, read 1,543,749 times
Reputation: 2264
76ers def. Clippers @LA 119-113
Butler +14
Simmons -1
Redick -3
Embiid -4
Chandler -6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
Reputation: 4497
What do you guys think about the parity through the 1st Half this year? I haven't seen such competitive balance in the NBA in years, and I love it. The Top 5 seeds in The East are only separated by 5.5 games; the Top 8 seeds in The West are only separated by 4.5 games. This has made the regular season exciting and I hope it continues. I'm watching more regular season ball than I've watched since I was a teenager (last year I paid this much attention to the regular season was around 03-04 season)...

Do you guys like the parity or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Reputation: 2263
Happy New Year everyone! Sorry to have missed out on some fun over the holidays.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The Warriors are vulnerable, and if anybody has followed my post history this season, this isn't a one game hot take. They are as vulnerable as they've been in this dynastic era. The only reason I'd still give them the best odds to win The West come April is because they are more experienced and battle tested than anyone else, and they'll still have the best top-end talent on the floor in any series...

But I've watched this team, there is an opportunity to finally put them away. And its gonna happen, I've been saying it since preseason. I don't know if its gonna be Denver or OKC or the Lakers, or if it'll have to be the East Finals rep, but this is it. A number of things are crystal clear:

•this is an average defensive team. They are light in the ass and get pushed around inside, which is a far cry from the past. They came into tonight with the #14 defense in the NBA, after finishing #1 in 2015, #5 in 2016, #2 in 2017, and #11 last year. That #14 DRtg is about to sink a little lower after tonight...

•wow, they have no depth!

•the style of play that caught The League by surprise and that they built this dynasty on has been adjusted to accordingly. Nobody can match the firepower of The Dubs when all of their elite shooters are hitting. The thing is, everybody else is shooting better, and other teams are matching pace...

•Draymond Green and Klay Thompson are so clearly and obviously on the decline. These are 2 of the four most important pieces of their run. It's sad considering their ages (both 28), but then you realize they both have an extra season of wear on them from the last four postseasons. Looks like Green won't get that massive deal from anyone...

The general thought after signing Boogie was that he made them unbeatable, and he could come in and be ordinary and they'd still cruise to a championship. I never bought it, because modern sports don't work this way. There isn't a franchise in any sport since the turn of the century that's reeled off more than a 3 in 5 run. The Warriors already have three. It doesn't take that long to adapt to the winning formula, there are multiple players in decline, and if we grade GS off their performance this year instead of what we "think" they MIGHT be, they clearly aren't the best team in the NBA. They are in a pack with four or five teams at the top, this could never be said in the past four years (that there were four or five other teams as good or better than Golden State)...

Boogie is going to have to come in and play a larger role than initially thought, but he ain't the magic elixir. Other teams have better team defense, other teams are deeper, other teams have been more consistent in clutch moments. Golden State will be a factor deep into the postseason but this year will not end with a win for them!

Tales of Warriors vulnerability are greatly exaggerated.


3 big things to keep in mind.


1. Come playoffs, the Warriors have all they need right now, without Boogie. McCaw, West, Javale, and Zaza played a combined 26 minutes/night in the playoffs. Bell, Cook, and Jerebko can make that up.


2. Curry has missed 11 games, Draymond has missed 14. Much like last year, several key Warriors are not playing consistently hard on defense in the regular season. Last year's team had a regular season defensive eFG% of .504 (compared to this year's .513). In the playoffs, last year's team had a .481--far better than every other club. The switch (especially on the defensive end) is real.


3. Steve Kerr has proven time and again that he likes this ball movement, Curry away-from-the-ball offense until the games really matter. When they matter, Kerr will spam the Curry-Dray or Curry-KD pick & roll, which is still unguardable.


As for Klay & Dray--the disrespect! Klay's playing all-NBA defense night in and night out. His shot hasn't been falling. It will come around. The guy is a top 5 shooter in league history. A shooting slump is not a decline. He's also long been a hot & cold shooter. It happens. Dray is still the best defender in the league when he is locked in. He's still a high-IQ & versatile player on the offensive end. Any GM who would not offer him a max deal is a GM who doesn't want to win.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Good point about the defense because with all their amazing shooting in the past, it was their defense which made them such a force. Green and especially Klay need to lock it down on the other side of the court when they’re not shooting. Young bench guys like Looney and Bell are not as impressive as last season; Livingston needs to retire this summer. Right now the Warriors are a two-man team....two of the top five players in the game, but that doesn’t make them any different from the old Thunder at this point. We’ll see how things are in April.

Looney has been great. Bell is working through a sophomore slump. Liv is basically done, but he'll still deliver about what he did last year. Veteran leadership & low-mistake basketball in limited minutes.


The KD-Russ Thunder didn't have Steph. The gap between Steph and Russ is XXL.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Your Sixer team should have signed Rivers. They need more depth for them to take the East.

Makes me glad that my Bucks traded for George Hill, nice pickup and again adds depth. Something Houston, Philly and Golden State are lacking.

Draymond's value is plummeting. Not to long ago the phrase max money was associated with his name. Now it sounds crazy. Murksiderock is correct about the Warriors. They are not the same, but they are still my favorite to win it all. At the rate things are going this could change come April.

Depth has less value in the playoffs, when stars & starters add minutes. But George Hill is a good player, and he'll find minutes in the playoffs, especially if Bledsoe can't deliver enough offense.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Through 36 games in 2015, the Warriors were 31-5. In 2016 they were 34-2, 2017 they were 31-5, and in 2018 they were 28-8. This year, they are 23-13. Where is CityBridge? Lol...

I think we need to be really cautious on assuming this team has a switch that previous teams had. Every sports show I watch, every analyst I hear, keeps saying they aren't worried, Boogie is joining the lineup soon, this team will be fine in April, this team will 3peat. I have yet to hear a single analyst pick against Golden State for the championship. There is no way I'm the only guy watching these games. It's like people are afraid to publicly say they think the Warriors might not win it all..

Without Steph, the Warriors were 5-6 this season. With him, they have been 20-7--a winning percentage that would translate to 28-10 through 38 games. I am supremely unworried about the Warriors' record. My biggest worry right now is the wear & tear on Dray & Looney's bodies from going up against natural centers all season for heavy minutes. I miss Zaza



Boogie needs to prove he can do what Zaza did--body opposing centers, get back on defense, and let the transition offense run without him. Coming off of an achilles tear, I have no expectation that he will be up to the task.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well as the long time Warrior fan on this forum, I am most concerned about the defense and lack of ball movement....the two cornerstones of their championships (along with the 3pt shot). Draymond is not the force this year he was in seasons past, and Klay has been off all year. Since they're such a top-heavy roster, they really struggle when no one but Curry, Durant and maybe Iguodala are playing well.
A couple things they do have going for themselves is defense is something which can corrected fairly quickly, as long as skill-set is there from the start, and that while they may be struggling (for them), the main competition expected to compete with them for the 'chip are looking even worse (Boston and Houston). That's not to say someone else like the Raptors, Sixers or even Lakers can't sneak in and steal it all away from them this year, still.

The defense is there when they want it to be. We've seen sequences this season that are exactly the hounding, long, disruptive defense that we saw in last year's playoffs. Klay's shooting will be fine. The competition right now are the Raptors and Bucks. The Lakers might get there. To this point, the Bucks look like this year's Rockets--the #1 threat.



Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Whoever thought Draymond was worth max money was crazy. Just like Klay isn't worth max money. Dallas paid Barnes, because they had the money and needed a name that was recognizable. Couldn't get Deandre Jordan at that time, so Barnes was more happenstance than anything else. He's been decent to good, but not worth what he's getting paid.

The Warriors are still a solid favorite for the WCF, so they're still one step away from the Finals. I'm not saying they'll plug their leaks, but I am saying I think they'll figure things out, even if that means they lose in a 7 game series in the WCF. This is a team, that if it wasn't for a Chris Paul injury, and a nightmare 3 point shooting night from 3 in game 7 for Houston, likely would have missed the Finals all together. Chris Paul getting injured was the best news for them, because they already knew playing the Cavs was a cake walk. No Kyrie, no problem for the Warriors.

Barnes is about 20% of the player that Dray is, and about 25% of the player that Klay is. Dallas paid him because Cuban doesn't know any better.



Houston was a great team; they pushed the Warriors to 7 because Andre Iguodala got injured. The Warriors could use a regular season big body right now. What they really need is health in the playoffs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't disagree about Golden State still being a contender. I can more easily fathom them back in the WCF than The Finals, and I would not be shocked to see them back in The Finals. I would be absolutely stunned to see them win the whole thing this year, though...

Another problem is they are making a habit of getting down big and expecting KD or Steph to shoot them to victory. They barely squeaked by Dallas or LAC or someone last week with this, and we all know that in past years, they've cone back from deficits, but this is a different team. They don't have the depth, they dont have the defensive acuity, and as was mentioned, half of their Big Four is in major decline. We have witnessed several games that it isn't as easy for them to shoot themselves back to victory anymore, especially when KD and Steph are alternately having poor shooting nights. This team has turned into a roster that is over reliant on KD and Steph, and when those guys are off, they are losing...

All that said, the only reason I still have them as a WCF/Finals participant is because they have more top end talent than anybody they will face. Add Boogie, it just gets magnified, and that top end is good enough to carry them all the way, clearly. The problem here is multifold; the consistency is spotty, and compared to previous years, this just isn't a "great" Warriors team. Nobody will match their top end talent, but there are challengers that can score with them, there are certainly challengers that are deeper than them, and there are challengers that play elite defense. This team is giving me 03-04 Lakers vibes, Shaq and Kobe's last hurrah when they got pummeled by Detroit in The Finals. This is going to be it for this assemblage of the Warriors, and as I said in preseason before they played a game, they ain't winning it this year. Nearly halfway thru the year, my belief is only strengthened by watching them play...

In other news, we are almost halfway through the year. Every season, there is always a team that looks awesome in the first half but fades down the stretch, and there's always a team that will come from the basement to make the playoffs. Who do you guys think those teams are this year, that will fade and ramp it up in the 2nd half?

You really can't judge these Warriors by games in December. None of their stars are declining. The defense is still there. NBA players have bad shooting nights. The only legitimate threats to this point are in the East. It's possible the Lakers figure it out, but I'm not seeing it yet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
My surprise team to upend the Warriors is OKC. IMO they are the 2nd best team in the west.

The key to Golden State is Cousins. Golden State has no center now and an average bench. They need to incorporate Cousins into their scheme.

The East is wide open and it will be a battle to the end. I expect the top teams in the east to continue to be strong, maybe Boston will continue to underachieve. Somethings not right with them.

The Wizards have to be the biggest disappointment by far. Indiana, Brooklyn, Dallas and the Clippers are better than I thought. Golden State and Boston are worse than I expected.

If Roberson comes back healthy (looking increasingly doubtful), then I would agree that OKC is the biggest threat in the West. Without Roberson, the Thunder have just one elite wing defender, and I think they will be in a lot of trouble in the playoffs against the Warriors.


The Pelicans are my biggest disappointment thus far. I still hope they can figure it out. The Kings(!) are my biggest surprise.



Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
What's not right with Boston is that Hayward doesn't fit now. They got a lot of information last season, not expected after Hayward's injury. The organization got a lot of information from Scary Terry, Tatum, and Brown. Hayward ended up being the expensive contract with no sure fit. However, this doesn't happen with many franchises, because they don't have the depth that Boston has.

If I'm Boston, I'm looking to move Hayward. I love the guy, and if I was him, I'd try my luck at going back to Utah. They could use him and it seems their scheme worked for him and I think Utah can take their time getting him back to health. Boston is playing for the ECF minimal, so they don't have the time to ease him back into the rotation, since the team is already struggling more than anticipated. He's just not playing well this year. Not unheard of coming back from an injury.

Hayward still doesn't seem like the same player yet. This team won't be as good as last year's team in the playoffs with Kyrie playing 38 min/g.



Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Dallas is scary good, they're just terrible on the road. This is the last season for Matthews and I'm not sold on Barnes. Overpaid for Barnes, since they missed on Jordan. Had to get a name that was recognizable to get butts in seats. You know your future with Doncic in his first season, so Cuban needs to spend the money and get the RIGHT talent to surround Donic and DSJ with the right talent. They swung right with Jordan this season, as he's been playing very consistent and has become an assist machine. He's FT percentage has improved drastically too.

Doncic is really talented. Jordan can't anchor a defense when the team doesn't play any good wing defenders. Dallas needs to pray that Barnes opts out. They need to aggressively shop DSJ, and they need to bring in an elite 2-way wing (Butler & Kawhi are ideal). They should try running Doncic at the 1 with a starting lineup filled with defensive talent. Here's a great starting lineup for Dallas next year: Doncic-Butler-Aminu-Thaddeus Young-DJ. That's a squad that's going places.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There are also some big egos on that team. Let's be honest, Boston is underachieving thus far this year, currently at the 5 seed, and to date haven't been able to close the gap on the top four. This is important because while I'd still like them in a first round versus Philly, currently Philly would have home court, and may be able to win this in 7 on their floor. If Boston advances they'd likely get Milwaukee or Toronto---I have 0% confidence Boston can beat Toronto in a series, and only about 40% confidence they can beat Milwaukee; that 40% dwindles each week that I watch Milwaukee play...

This isn't last year's Celtics, and among other inconsistencies, the egos of the players will prevent them from advancing beyond their peak of the last two years. They may make the ECF again, but this roster as currently construed can't win The East...

Smith is not trash but he definitely isn't that good. Luka is gonna be an All-Timer, but he and Smith can't play together. Smith's name is popping up in all kind of trade talks, maybe they play it out the duration of the season but I'd expect him gone in the summer. He doesn't fit next to Luka--->Luka runs the offense better, Smith is not a great passer or defender or off ball offensive player. He's a slasher whose entire game is built on athleticism, but you need shooters and consistent defenders around Luka, as he isn't a great defender himself...

Smith is a 6th man. He's not going to accept that at this age. He's worth more as a trade chip than a contributor for the Mavs. I agree with your prescription for the Mavs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Milwaukee remind me of the 90-91 Bulls, because Giannis is the only player averaging over 18ppg (Middleton 17.8ppg) and Jordan was the only player averaging over 18ppg (Pippen 17.8ppg).
Both teams are scoring the lights out and winning by big margins, and both teams are very athletic defensively.
Both teams are very healthy, no injuries to speak of apart from Ilyasova.
Both teams lead the NBA in eFG%.
And both teams showed gradual improvement in the preceding years, and its not clear what their ceiling is.

Milwaukee reminds me of the '14-15 Warriors. A young, talented team with a top-end net rating (with a top defense and a top offense) and a new system under their new coach. Can Giannis become a Steph-level talent? That's the big question on my mind for this team's playoff future.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Houston have exceeded my expectations.
In mid-November I was saying they would still be the main contender to Golden State, now I'm thinking they'll eliminate Golden State.
They are the hottest team in the NBA and they are doing it without Chris Paul.

Houston's defense is junk. As usual, playoff officials will swallow their whistles, defenses will get tougher, and Harden's regular season efficiency will plummet. 27 free throws in a game by one player is the most disgustingly-effective offensive performance ever.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll use 2 West teams, coincidentally in the same division for this.

Team I think will falter in the second half: Denver. Are they are a good team?? Yes, they are. Are they #1 in the West overall good like they are right now (or were last week not sure if they still are). No. This team is still going to make the playoffs, but I think as a 4-6 seed, so if you count a team dropping from #1 to a #5 than Denver is my falter team.
Team I think will bounce back that is currently out of a playoff spot to a playoff spot: Utah. The first half of 2018 was bad for them, but I think they bounce back with a couple 5, 6, 7 game winning streaks to sneak in as a bottom seed in the playoffs 6, 7, 8. I don't see them jumping up to a 4 seed like they did last year, but I still expect at least 2 home playoff games in Salt Lake City this year.

Denver is not the best team in the West, but they are a really good team. I think they're going to be a lot worse in the playoffs than they are in the regular season. Jokic's defense is going to be a problem.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
No, Denver is real. You gotta think, they have been one of the two or three most injury depleted teams in The League this year (Michael Porter and Isaiah Thomas haven't even suited up yet, Gary Harris out, Millsap, etc), and they have still maintained a Top 2 seed in The West. Denver is real and provided they maintain continuity, they are a year away from running the NBA...

I'm gonna submit the Clippers as a candidate to fade down the stretch. They've maintained a Top 4 seed throughout the first half, I think they well regress and fall to around 6-8...

I feel like a couple teams will make a run in the second half. Indiana is a damn good team, they will push for the 1 seed. The Brooklyn Nets will sneak into the 8th seed this year. I think the Lakers and the Spurs will both push for the 4 seed...

By the way, I don't think the Rockets are real. Harden has almost a 40% usage rate, leading the NBA, that is not sustainable. You can win like this in December and January. After the break, when teams become motivated to push for seeding, they aren't winning at anywhere near this same pace. That said, I like how Harden has stepped up in Paul's absence. He's been a great player for a long time, but this is a level of leadership I've never seen with him before. I can respect that!

I like the Clips, but they're just lacking the high-end talent to make a deep playoff run. I could see them going to the second round, but I don't see them advancing to the WCF.


Harden is also shooting over 11 free throws per game. That will not happen in the playoffs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What do you guys think about the parity through the 1st Half this year? I haven't seen such competitive balance in the NBA in years, and I love it. The Top 5 seeds in The East are only separated by 5.5 games; the Top 8 seeds in The West are only separated by 4.5 games. This has made the regular season exciting and I hope it continues. I'm watching more regular season ball than I've watched since I was a teenager (last year I paid this much attention to the regular season was around 03-04 season)...

Do you guys like the parity or not?

I'm not seeing parity. I see one title contender in the West, and two title contenders in the East. I see one team in each conference struggling to figure things out and join the contenders (Lakers & 76ers). And then I see a field of middling to bad teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
Reputation: 11214
Draymond is wearing down, which is understandable given his intensity and the long runs they’ve had to the Finals every year. But at the very least they need a viable center back to take some of the load off him defensively. It’s nice to see Klay have a solid couple of games...looks like he’s got his stroke back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
915 posts, read 1,661,558 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What do you guys think about the parity through the 1st Half this year? I haven't seen such competitive balance in the NBA in years, and I love it. The Top 5 seeds in The East are only separated by 5.5 games; the Top 8 seeds in The West are only separated by 4.5 games. This has made the regular season exciting and I hope it continues. I'm watching more regular season ball than I've watched since I was a teenager (last year I paid this much attention to the regular season was around 03-04 season)...

Do you guys like the parity or not?

I have a few takes. New Orleans has had problems with injuries. Mirotic and Randle have missed time and this has hurt them due to their short bench. When healthy they can be a handful and nobody really wants to play them come playoff time.

I realize Murksiderock may disagree, but Golden State is still the team in the west. I think keeping a team on a 5 year championship run on the same page and not be torn apart by internal strife is very hard, but so far they have managed with amazing results. It's difficult to do this year after year when teams you face are giving their 100% A game every night. All teams want to brag about beating Golden State. In Milwaukee, where I live, after a Golden State victory the fans will talk about it all year, like it's an amazing accomplishment. Image the Warriors facing this every game night. The pressure is greater than most realize.


The rest of the West is a log jam. Denver is a nice team, but not the top in the West, maybe 4th or so. Houston - Harden is a beast, but little depth and a history of choking in the playoffs. OKC - Too Westbrook dependent, nobody really expects Westbrook to carry OKC all the way through, George is nice, but not elite level. Portland after the backcourt forget it, not happening. The Lakers anything is possible with Lebron, but they will not beat the Warriors, even Lebron knows this. San Antonio, Memphis, Clippers, Utah, Kings will all battle for the bottom playoff spots.


The East is about five teams and the likes of Detroit, Charlotte, Miami, Brooklyn and Orlando battling for the bottom spots. The way it is playing out there is no clear favorite among the top teams and I change my mind often on who I think will rise to the top. A few takes.

Philly - Nice starting five, with 3 potential all stars. Problems weak bench, not enough shooters and questionable chemistry with new addition of Butler.

Boston - Very deep with great wing and skilled players. Problems too many guys doing the same thing, and lacking size. Will the team bond together to make a long run? Not sure.

Toronto - Deep and solid at all spots. Leonard an MVP candidate. This team has a history of choking in the playoffs big time. Can Lowery rise to the occasion come playtime or will his weaknesses be exposed?

Milwaukee - Solid starting five with MVP candidate Giannis. Bench is a little soft and too dependent of 3 point shot. Team hasn't gone deep in the playoff recently, so they have to prove themselves.

Indiana - Very deep team one through eight and play solid D. A real sleeper team. Nobody wants this team in the first round. Still unproven and have only one all star level player.


With this being said. It has been an interesting competitive season so far.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 01-02-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 AM
 
5,430 posts, read 1,543,749 times
Reputation: 2264
Today at Phoenix, Simmons made 15 of 23 free-throws!
Teams almost never use Hack-A-Shaq on him, because it doesn't work!
Simmons only attempts 5.2 free-throws per game (and 4.2 last season).
He's got the ball in his hands more than anyone but they don't want to foul him....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 AM
 
4,981 posts, read 11,046,411 times
Reputation: 11828
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Today at Phoenix, Simmons made 15 of 23 free-throws!
Teams almost never use Hack-A-Shaq on him, because it doesn't work!
Simmons only attempts 5.2 free-throws per game (and 4.2 last season).
He's got the ball in his hands more than anyone but they don't want to foul him....
Hey let us know when he makes a shot more than 5 feet from the rim....has he attempted a 3 yet this season??

He doesn't get a fouled much because he barely needs to be defended, he can't shoot from beyond 3 feet and teams just drop off and dare him....and he just passes up open jumpers....

There is zero evidence at this point that he will ever develop a shot and until he does he is one of the most over rated players in the NBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM
 
5,430 posts, read 1,543,749 times
Reputation: 2264
Simmons brings the ball up court every possession, so he's easier to foul than anyone.
Why not foul him at the end of games?
They are scared of fouling him.
They'd rather foul LeBron-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
Reputation: 4497
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Today at Phoenix, Simmons made 15 of 23 free-throws!
Teams almost never use Hack-A-Shaq on him, because it doesn't work!
Simmons only attempts 5.2 free-throws per game (and 4.2 last season).
He's got the ball in his hands more than anyone but they don't want to foul him....
You do realize 15-23 is only 65%? Lmao I love your excitement, I guess it's an improvement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I have a few takes. New Orleans has had problems with injuries. Mirotic and Randle have missed time and this has hurt them due to their short bench. When healthy they can be a handful and nobody really wants to play them come playoff time.

I realize Murksiderock may disagree, but Golden State is still the team in the west. I think keeping a team on a 5 year championship run on the same page and not be torn apart by internal strife is very hard, but so far they have managed with amazing results. It's difficult to do this year after year when teams you face are giving their 100% A game every night. All teams want to brag about beating Golden State. In Milwaukee, where I live, after a Golden State victory the fans will talk about it all year, like it's an amazing accomplishment. Image the Warriors facing this every game night. The pressure is greater than most realize.


The rest of the West is a log jam. Denver is a nice team, but not the top in the West, maybe 4th or so. Houston - Harden is a beast, but little depth and a history of choking in the playoffs. OKC - Too Westbrook dependent, nobody really expects Westbrook to carry OKC all the way through, George is nice, but not elite level. Portland after the backcourt forget it, not happening. The Lakers anything is possible with Lebron, but they will not beat the Warriors, even Lebron knows this. San Antonio, Memphis, Clippers, Utah, Kings will all battle for the bottom playoff spots.


The East is about five teams and the likes of Detroit, Charlotte, Miami, Brooklyn and Orlando battling for the bottom spots. The way it is playing out there is no clear favorite among the top teams and I change my mind often on who I think will rise to the top. A few takes.

Philly - Nice starting five, with 3 potential all stars. Problems weak bench, not enough shooters and questionable chemistry with new addition of Butler.

Boston - Very deep with great wing and skilled players. Problems too many guys doing the same thing, and lacking size. Will the team bond together to make a long run? Not sure.

Toronto - Deep and solid at all spots. Leonard an MVP candidate. This team has a history of choking in the playoffs big time. Can Lowery rise to the occasion come playtime or will his weaknesses be exposed?

Milwaukee - Solid starting five with MVP candidate Giannis. Bench is a little soft and too dependent of 3 point shot. Team hasn't gone deep in the playoff recently, so they have to prove themselves.

Indiana - Very deep team one through eight and play solid D. A real sleeper team. Nobody wants this team in the first round. Still unproven and have only one all star level player.


With this being said. It has been an interesting competitive season so far.
Indiana is playing outstanding ball. I think we all slept on them and they will be a tough out...

I think I've seen enough from the Lakers, if they have Lebron healthy, they are a Top 4 team, and in the playoffs, all bets are off. He's the most prolific postseason player in the NBA today, I like his chances versus anybody besides GS. Kuz is developing into a real #2, he will be a star in a year. And I maintain OKC will take down the Warriors...

Lakers are one move away from a championship, and it doesn't have to be AD. They actually play pretty good defense, it's having one more consistent scoring threat without sacrificing the D...

New Orleans is a major underachiever, don't you feel like you're watching KG and the Timberwolves with them? AD has to leave, it just is NOT working!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top