U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I do say the gap has grown. Houston was an elite defensive team last year. They have been a bad defensive team this year and you would expect them to be bad with the personnel changes. The Rockets are not the Warriors: they can't turn on the defense when they are ready. They have a lot of poor defenders, plus Capela and Tucker. The Warriors made them pay in the first half, even though the Warriors weren't playing terribly well then, either. In the playoffs, that kind of defense will not get Houston to the WCF.

Harden's biggest games, imo, have been in the 14-15 playoffs, and the 17-18 playoffs. Plenty of those games were much bigger wins than this January game.
You have the continued propensity to magnify other teams’ weaknesses while casually shrugging off the Warriors’ own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 PM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Quote:
I do say the gap has grown. Houston was an elite defensive team last year. They have been a bad defensive team this year and you would expect them to be bad with the personnel changes. The Rockets are not the Warriors: they can't turn on the defense when they are ready. They have a lot of poor defenders, plus Capela and Tucker. The Warriors made them pay in the first half, even though the Warriors weren't playing terribly well then, either. In the playoffs, that kind of defense will not get Houston to the WCF.

Harden's biggest games, imo, have been in the 14-15 playoffs, and the 17-18 playoffs. Plenty of those games were much bigger wins than this January game.
I increasingly doubt more and more the Warriors' ability to just "turn it on" and flip a switch. This ain't those Warriors. You know it and the rest of us do too. They are still an elite team in the 18-19 season and a championship contender, but compared to previous iterations of the Warriors, this is the weakest team, and easily so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You have the continued propensity to magnify other teams’ weaknesses while casually shrugging off the Warriors’ own.
Say that!!! +5 for objectivity...

Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 AM

5,428 posts, read 1,543,037 times
Quote:

And now Draymond Green is a LOSER, and Klay Thompson has lost some of his trey-shooting, so Houston losing some defense doesn't matter.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And now Draymond Green is a LOSER, and Klay Thompson has lost some of his trey-shooting, so Houston losing some defense doesn't matter.
Klay has had a very good last three games, while slumping the first couple months, which gives me hope. The Warriors badly need a defensive center, someone who can bang with Capela, Adams etc, and I’m not sure Boogie with his limited playing time when he returns will be enough.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Klay has had a very good last three games, while slumping the first couple months, which gives me hope. The Warriors badly need a defensive center, someone who can bang with Capela, Adams etc, and I’m not sure Boogie with his limited playing time when he returns will be enough.
Yeah Klay has proven recently he's capable of a week of peak shooting still, just we have to see if his consistency is back.
If nothing else Cousins will control the boards and provide scoring for times when perimeter is cold.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,368,848 times
I figured it was time for the Raptors to take one from the Bucks. Everything was going in for Toronto last night, especially 3's. Hard to beat a team when that happens. Giannis put up 43 points & went 3 for 5 for 3 pointers. Dude's just a machine.

I heard the Bucks played an audio clip of Kawhi's awkward laugh every time he turned the ball over. Not cool. Bucks media dept loves doing social media stuff like that.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 AM

As people often say, if Giannis gets a jump shot then its unfair for the rest of the NBA.
Regular 40 point games if his shot is consistent.
Michael Jordan was like Giannis (freakish paint scoring and freakish defense), except Jordan had an extremely consistent midrange jump shot.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:12 AM

25,778 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I figured it was time for the Raptors to take one from the Bucks. Everything was going in for Toronto last night, especially 3's. Hard to beat a team when that happens. Giannis put up 43 points & went 3 for 5 for 3 pointers. Dude's just a machine.

I heard the Bucks played an audio clip of Kawhi's awkward laugh every time he turned the ball over. Not cool. Bucks media dept loves doing social media stuff like that.
Raps needed that one, if only to prevent the psychological advantage it would have given the Bucks to go 3-0 and win an eventual tie-breaker. That they won without Lowry and Valanciunas and with Miles stapled to the bench was encouraging. When they defend with ferocity, they're tough to beat.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

The fact that Giannis is committed to trying to improve his shot is encouraging. I still can't buy into "best player in the game" talk until he drops it consistently outside the paint, and develops postseason success to at least the ECF. Those two things have to work on concert, the title of "best" can't just be passed to any player with potential. There is no body of work to say Giannis is better than Steph, LeBron, KD at minimum, those three are in a different class than he. He is in the same range as AD, Harden, Russ, George, but there is an argument for all of those guys over Giannis at this point, too...

That said, he really has no ceiling at what, 23 or 24? I really like Milwaukee's future! My biggest concern is Budenholzer-->he started hot in Atlanta too and faded down the stretch, and his best season there, they struggled in the postseason and were blasted in the ECF with home court. I think he's a B+ coach in a league with so few "A's", but he doesn't have a large body of work and the resume he does have doesn't show long term consistency and/or the ability to rebound from bad years. How are people in Milwaukee viewing Budz? At the very least I think we all think he's the best you guys have had in a long, long time...

Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Let me give some love to Derrick Rose. I wasn't the biggest fan when he was in his prime; he was always somewhat overrated. But I'm loving this redemption story, he's about to be named an All-star for the first time in seven years, and he deserves it!

I hope he gets a deal he wants in the off-season. I'm not sure I'd go longer than two years, I'd want to see if this is more than a one-year flash in the pan. Next season will be Year 12 for him, so the chances of him mainyltaining this level of play or getting better are slim, but....it is possible. Pay him well on a 1+1 deal, with the ability to start full time if necessary, and if he can replicate this season again, give him a 3-4 year extension. You're obviously then not gonna bankrupt the franchise for a 32-35 year old Rose, however, if he can show that he is back to a Top 25 player, he's worth paying something and locking up. Lesser guys have been paid way more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball