U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 11:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,661,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The fact that Giannis is committed to trying to improve his shot is encouraging. I still can't buy into "best player in the game" talk until he drops it consistently outside the paint, and develops postseason success to at least the ECF. Those two things have to work on concert, the title of "best" can't just be passed to any player with potential. There is no body of work to say Giannis is better than Steph, LeBron, KD at minimum, those three are in a different class than he. He is in the same range as AD, Harden, Russ, George, but there is an argument for all of those guys over Giannis at this point, too...

That said, he really has no ceiling at what, 23 or 24? I really like Milwaukee's future! My biggest concern is Budenholzer-->he started hot in Atlanta too and faded down the stretch, and his best season there, they struggled in the postseason and were blasted in the ECF with home court. I think he's a B+ coach in a league with so few "A's", but he doesn't have a large body of work and the resume he does have doesn't show long term consistency and/or the ability to rebound from bad years. How are people in Milwaukee viewing Budz? At the very least I think we all think he's the best you guys have had in a long, long time...
I'll take the Milwaukee view on this. We love Budz so far, because he had the sense to build an offense around Giannis. Spread the floor with shooters and free up the area around the basket for Giannis to dominate, which he has done. Why Kidd didn't figure this out? Who knows. We are in the honeymoon stage with the coach, so you know how this goes. There will be bumps in the road, like always, and then we will see how it plays out. He was the best option for the Bucks and we are really happy the Bucks hired him.

Thank God the Bucks didn't sign Parker to a multiple year 20+ million per year contract.

Very encouraging watching Giannis of late. More jump shots and better results. 3 out 5 from three last night. Maybe a sign of better things ahead. I agree with you on Giannis body of work, but he just turned 24 and ,as many forget, he was late to basketball in his life. Took it up a a teen in Greece and didn't have the AAU start hoops in 4th grade upbringing as most US players. He is probably 6 years behind the average US player when it comes to development .

As a Bucks fan and a NBA junkie. After watching Giannis for the past 5 1/2 years I would not trade him for anybody period. He has the most upside of any player I've seen since Lebron James. His speed, quickness, explosion off the floor, ball handling, defense, rebounding and so on is remarkable for a 6'11 player.
Also, I'll add is his intense desire to win and play hard ALL THE TIME, regardless of the time of game or opponents. He is a winner and has a great desire, love and respect for the game. He plays it the way it should be played. Always hard, competitive, unselfish and doesn't show the negative traits we often see in the pampered, spoiled AAU brats that come our way.

He is a great ambassador for the NBA and the sky is the limit. I hope he gets an MVP at some point and an NBA title.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 01-06-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM

25,783 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Raptors in tough tonight against the Pacers who've been in Toronto waiting for them since yesterday. No Kawhi tonight which is disappointing. Many thought he'd play his first back-to-back tonight. On the goodn news front though, Lowry is back. But it remains to be seen how effective he's going to be after missing 9 games. The bench, which was dismal last night against Milwaukee - scoring only 5 points - needs to step up big-time tonight.

All that being said, I expect the Pacers to break a long-time losing streak in the Great White North.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM

25,783 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Happy to be wrong. The bench responded in a big way, with 52 points and energetic D. Fine back-to-back wins against very good teams. The Raps' record in the 2nd of back-to-backs is now an impressive 7-1.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I'll take the Milwaukee view on this. We love Budz so far, because he had the sense to build an offense around Giannis. Spread the floor with shooters and free up the area around the basket for Giannis to dominate, which he has done. Why Kidd didn't figure this out? Who knows. We are in the honeymoon stage with the coach, so you know how this goes. There will be bumps in the road, like always, and then we will see how it plays out. He was the best option for the Bucks and we are really happy the Bucks hired him.

Thank God the Bucks didn't sign Parker to a multiple year 20+ million per year contract.

Very encouraging watching Giannis of late. More jump shots and better results. 3 out 5 from three last night. Maybe a sign of better things ahead. I agree with you on Giannis body of work, but he just turned 24 and ,as many forget, he was late to basketball in his life. Took it up a a teen in Greece and didn't have the AAU start hoops in 4th grade upbringing as most US players. He is probably 6 years behind the average US player when it comes to development .

As a Bucks fan and a NBA junkie. After watching Giannis for the past 5 1/2 years I would not trade him for anybody period. He has the most upside of any player I've seen since Lebron James. His speed, quickness, explosion off the floor, ball handling, defense, rebounding and so on is remarkable for a 6'11 player.
Also, I'll add is his intense desire to win and play hard ALL THE TIME, regardless of the time of game or opponents. He is a winner and has a great desire, love and respect for the game. He plays it the way it should be played. Always hard, competitive, unselfish and doesn't show the negative traits we often see in the pampered, spoiled AAU brats that come our way.

He is a great ambassador for the NBA and the sky is the limit. I hope he gets an MVP at some point and an NBA title.
I agree with your Giannis take 100%. There is no one I'd trade him for, either!

I'll try to keep faith in Budz, it's obvious he can coach, but I've gotta see him respond to adversity!

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 AM

5,429 posts, read 1,543,037 times
Kawhi doesn't deserve any MVP votes, even without him Toronto is one of the best in the East.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,368,848 times
Quote:
The fact that Giannis is committed to trying to improve his shot is encouraging. I still can't buy into "best player in the game" talk until he drops it consistently outside the paint, and develops postseason success to at least the ECF. Those two things have to work on concert, the title of "best" can't just be passed to any player with potential. There is no body of work to say Giannis is better than Steph, LeBron, KD at minimum, those three are in a different class than he. He is in the same range as AD, Harden, Russ, George, but there is an argument for all of those guys over Giannis at this point, too...
I don't know why you're always so hard on Giannis on here. He has to be in the talk for MVP so far this season.

He's been named Eastern conf player of the month for Oct, Nov, Dec. He has the numbers, other than maybe Harden who is coming on strong, but will they really give Harden the MVP 2 years in a row? He's got all the big highlights etc. He's improved the Bucks greatly this year. He reminds me of Lebron because when he drives into the lane at least 3 men all collapse on him & he passes to an open man for an easy 3. Opens the perimeter. Look at the Bucks ridiculous 3's stats this year. Giannis is a big part of that. In all his matchups with other all-stars, he's either held his own or outplayed them (Anthony David, Embiid, Lillard, Kawhi,

We will see how the 2nd half of the season goes but so far Giannis is at least in the running for MVP.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Harden's MVP narrative only became a deal recently, so if the MVP was awarded today it would surely go to Giannis because of his consistent dominance and his team's consistent results.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You have the continued propensity to magnify other teams’ weaknesses while casually shrugging off the Warriors’ own.

Don't you remember how many people said last year that the Warriors didn't look as good during the regular season, that they weren't building good habits, that they didn't have the defense. And then their playoff defense was far-and-away #1. The switch is real, and the Warriors have all of the pieces they need for the playoffs now, without Cousins and without a real center. No other team has proven that.

The Bucks and Raptors are the only teams that look like title contenders, aside from the Warriors.

Quote:
I increasingly doubt more and more the Warriors' ability to just "turn it on" and flip a switch. This ain't those Warriors. You know it and the rest of us do too. They are still an elite team in the 18-19 season and a championship contender, but compared to previous iterations of the Warriors, this is the weakest team, and easily so...

Say that!!! +5 for objectivity...

That's what I was hearing last year, then Draymond Green turned up the intensity and played staggering defense in the playoffs. Zaza played 26 minutes, total in the playoffs. Javale played 158. They could use a big body to absorb punishment in the regular season, but in the playoffs, they will get small, swarm on defense, and run. No one else can do it like they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And now Draymond Green is a LOSER, and Klay Thompson has lost some of his trey-shooting, so Houston losing some defense doesn't matter.

Dray is the best defender in the league and a 3x champion. Klay is still the 2nd best shooter in the league and a top perimeter defender. Houston's regression on defense takes them further away from GS.

Quote:
Yeah Klay has proven recently he's capable of a week of peak shooting still, just we have to see if his consistency is back.
If nothing else Cousins will control the boards and provide scoring for times when perimeter is cold.

Good luck hoping for the Klay to forget how to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post

Bud is a proven coach, and his work in Atlanta was excellent without a star of Giannis' caliber. Giannis is not a good shooter, and I don't think he ever will be. Fortunately, the Bucks have a roster and coach who don't ask that from him.

Giannis has overcome poor shooting and a pretty loose handle with size, athleticism, passing, and finishing at the rim. I have him a couple of notches below the AD/KD/Kawhi tier, but a solid #7 in the NBA today--tremendous for such a young player. Getting past the Raptors in the playoffs will be challenging. They have a team full of long and capable perimeter defenders. I am really excited for a Kawhi-Giannis playoff matchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I don't know why you're always so hard on Giannis on here. He has to be in the talk for MVP so far this season.

He's been named Eastern conf player of the month for Oct, Nov, Dec. He has the numbers, other than maybe Harden who is coming on strong, but will they really give Harden the MVP 2 years in a row? He's got all the big highlights etc. He's improved the Bucks greatly this year. He reminds me of Lebron because when he drives into the lane at least 3 men all collapse on him & he passes to an open man for an easy 3. Opens the perimeter. Look at the Bucks ridiculous 3's stats this year. Giannis is a big part of that. In all his matchups with other all-stars, he's either held his own or outplayed them (Anthony David, Embiid, Lillard, Kawhi,

We will see how the 2nd half of the season goes but so far Giannis is at least in the running for MVP.

Giannis and Kawhi are the leading MVP candidates, imo.

Quote:
Harden's MVP narrative only became a deal recently, so if the MVP was awarded today it would surely go to Giannis because of his consistent dominance and his team's consistent results.

If Houston becomes a top 2 seed, then I think Harden would be justified--his numbers are obscene. But Houston is 5 right now in the weakened West and playing at a 48 win pace.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Dray is the best defender in the league and a 3x champion. Klay is still the 2nd best shooter in the league and a top perimeter defender. Houston's regression on defense takes them further away from GS.
Dray is not the best defender in the NBA this season, he failed to adjust to the freedom of movement fouls, and has become timid in the process.
Klay is a .352 trey-shooter this season.
Houston are 2-0 vs Golden State this year.
And Houston have the best record in the NBA if you only count the games vs .500 or better teams.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Dray is not the best defender in the NBA this season, he failed to adjust to the freedom of movement fouls, and has become timid in the process.
Klay is a .352 trey-shooter this season.
Houston are 2-0 vs Golden State this year.
And Houston have the best record in the NBA if you only count the games vs .500 or better teams.

Keep telling yourself that. Just like last year, Dray is taking it easy during the regular season. He will amp up the intensity in the postseason (and officials, as usual, will swallow their whistles).

Klay just had some rough patches. His shooting form is perfect and his percentages will continue to climb this year.

Houston is 23rd in the league in defensive eFG%, down 10 spots from last year. They're rebounding worse and fouling more and forcing fewer turnovers. Their points allowed per 100 possessions is way up. This is not last year's defense.

Removing the games a team loses may make them look better, but it is unsound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball