U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:10 PM

25,868 posts, read 13,440,954 times

Advertisements

It was a spanking. Raps couldn't sink a BB into a bathtub but the Bucks were full value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Granted, the Cavs are bad, but what is really the point of firing Lue at this point less than 3 weeks into the season?? Everyone knew this team would be $#!t, ok maybe not this bad, but it's not like they are overachieving compared to what they were expected to do. If the team is still this bad at New Years you can let him go with half of the season still to play.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Granted, the Cavs are bad, but what is really the point of firing Lue at this point less than 3 weeks into the season?? Everyone knew this team would be $#!t, ok maybe not this bad, but it's not like they are overachieving compared to what they were expected to do. If the team is still this bad at New Years you can let him go with half of the season still to play.

I agree. He deserved better.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:43 PM

Raptors improve to 7-1 with a fairly emphatic victory over the Sixers. Simmons did not have a good night. Albeit early days, it seems fair to drop Philly from the 3rd beast in the East to duking it out with the Pacers and Pistons for 4th and 5th.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
I want to take time to show some appreciation for the Spurs and Raptors organizations...

As much as neither player wanted their new destination, the right basketball move was to get both DeRozan and Leonard out of their cities. You guys remember, there had been a call to move DeRozan or Lowry for at least 2-3 years in Toronto. They just weren't working together, you couldn't build a champion with those two as your best players. And initially the Spurs didn't want to let Kawhi go, despite his request. The early returns, two weeks into the season, is better team and individual basketball on both sides...

I've always been critical of DeRozan, and as a 10-year vet, he absolutely needs to prove he can sustain this play in the playoffs. I don't care what conference he's in, he's got too much potential and he's been around too long to get free passes anymore. But I'll say this, he said he would become a better player after the trade, and he's playing out of his mind right now. Two weeks in he has to be on the MVP shortlist. He's going to become the next great Spur, and I believe Pop thinks he can win a ring with Derozan as his frontman. I think he can too--and this is from a guy who has always said Derozan was a 2 masquerading as a 1...

The NBA is a players league more than any other, but coaching matters. Derozan is with the perfect coach who can cultivate his skill set. It's unbelievable to watch. It certainly won't be this year, but provided Pop sticks it out awhile, there will be a 6th O'Brien in San Antonio in short order...

In Toronto, the Raps got a true #1 whose style of play has unlocked Lowry. He gets better looks and is the primary facilitator now, whereas he and DeRozan really split that duty the last few years. Kawhi has picked up exactly where he left off in the '17 Finals versus Golden State. And listen, if he's this good right now, I'm well on record as saying I don't care who the Raptors match up with, I like their chances...that includes the Warriors, which last time we saw an MVP-level Kawhi, he was in the process of completely demolishing said Warriors...

The entire dynamic of the Raptors is changed with Kawhi (and Green), and Kawhi is proving he wasn't just a system player in SA. The Raps are an outstanding roster. This team is going to challenge for the chip this year. They are deep and can shoot, have great individual defenders, play great team defense, they play fast and have a guy I never heard of until last year (Nurse), who is actually turning out to be a damn good coach...

Props to both organizations for making the tough decisions and understanding the temperature in the room. Ujiri will go straight to Springfield if the Raps get a ring from this move. And provided the Spurs continue fleshing out the roster around DeRozan (and there's no reason to believe they won't), the Spurs will be back in contention in 1-2 years. I never bought the predictions they'd miss the postseason. I had them as a 7-8 seed, always in the tournament, but they may be better than u thought and in that 4-6 seed range. They will be viable championship contenders again after this season...

Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,231,722 times
Wow, D-Rose continues his resurgence. He showed flashes of his old style last season particularly towards the end, but tonite he was vintage Rose of old.

Who would have thought he'd score 50 points, few seasons ago I thought his NBA career was just about over.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM

491 posts, read 192,741 times
I haven't been able to watch any of the games this season so far - can someone please tell me what is up w/ the Rockets? What a horrendous start to the season. What is going on? They were great last year in the playoffs vs. Golden State. How do you go from that, to this mess, and what needs to happen to change things around?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
I haven't been able to watch any of the games this season so far - can someone please tell me what is up w/ the Rockets? What a horrendous start to the season. What is going on? They were great last year in the playoffs vs. Golden State. How do you go from that, to this mess, and what needs to happen to change things around?

They got rid of their two 3&D wings and replaced them with Melo, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight, and James Ennis. The Rockets are really bad on defense right now, and they don't have the pieces to play effectively on both ends. Last year, they had quite a few lineups that were effective offensively and defensively. Now they don't have any. They only have two players who are plus defenders right now--Capela and Tucker. Those two can't cover up the junk the rest of the roster is producing on the defensive end.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Default October wrap-up

The MVP thru October is Steph and in my opinion isn't close. He's running away with it...

The ROY is Luka, and I don't think that's close, either. He might really be the reincarnation of Dirk...

As of right now, Giannis has as good a case as any for DPOY...

Playoff seeding right now:

(8)Heat vs (1)Bucks
(7)Hornets vs (2)Raptors
(6)Sixers vs (3)Celtics
(5)Pistons vs (4)Pacers

If the playoffs started right now, Milwaukee would be #1 in the East and avoid both the Celts and Raps until the ECF. I do think the Bucks are good, better than I thought, but not "win the East" good. I'd take Toronto over Boston in 7 in the semifinals, and I'd take Toronto over Milwaukee to win the East...

(8)Pelicans vs (1)Warriors
(7)Jazz vs (2)Nuggets
(6)Grizzlies vs (3)Blazers
(5)Kings vs (4)Spurs

The Pelicans have already (quickly!) been exposed as a mirage. The Nuggets are legitimately the second best team in the West and I don't give a damn, both they and the Spurs to this point have a punchers chance at dethroning the Dubs. Meaning, the right lineups/adjustments/consistency over a 7-game series, I think either could do it...

Alas, the Dubs thru one month are my pick to win the West because Toronto is the team I truly have beating them in 7...

Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM

4,423 posts, read 4,072,965 times
As someone living in ATL and having the unfortunate luck of being a Hawks fan, HOW DA HELL, do you give up 145 points to the SACRAMENTO KING??? and 136 to the worst Cavaliers team we have seen in a decade SMH

Going to be a Looooong year watching this rebuild take place and to think just a few years ago a 60win team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball