U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,300 times

Advertisements

I think Milwaukee is the big winner of the trade season (at least for now), Houston did the most with the least, and the Cavs get the squirrel award for stockpiling draft picks (even if they won't be good picks). Dallas gets the risk/reward award for sacrificing this year for a shot at the future.

I love Mirotic as a player. He brings toughness and shooting that will be helpful to a Bucks team aiming for the Finals.

Houston didn't have anything good to sell, but they turned their beans into Shump. Shump gives them a tough wing defender with playoff experience.

Cleveland should have let Love walk, but at least they're dumping anyone else worth anything for draft picks. Maybe they'll hit the jackpot on a late-first/2nd rounder in the next 5 years.

The Clips, in combination with Jerry West's player evaluation, got the best set of future assets.

Dallas managed to get rid of their overrated scoring guard and their overpaid mediocre wing while returning an oft-injured unicorn. Most importantly, they wiped the roster slate clean so that they have a chance to build something that makes sense around Doncic's talents. Now they could really use 3 3&D wings and a center who can run the floor and catch & finish lobs (unless Dwight Powell can do it and defend in a heavier role).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Should only need 8 guys in the playoffs anyway, and in addition to Harris we acquired another really good 3-point-shooter in Scott (and good defender too), and a 7-3 290lbs back-up for Embiid!
Even if the depth isn't good, can at least have a couple of stars on the court at all-times, now 5 guys averaging 17ppg+ each.
Embiid won't get the ball as much, so his scoring should go down.
Simmons will have more space to drive and more shooters to hit.
When Embiid is on the bench I think Simmons should be on the court with Harris and Redick.

Offense shouldn't be a problem with that group, but Philadelphia has really done a number on its wing defense. Any team with two perimeter threats is going to create a lot of openings against this team. That certainly includes Toronto and Milwaukee, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
So what are you saying? You'd rather not have Lebron? You're upset about him recruiting Davis? A guy who many consider a top 5 or 6 player in the NBA?

I don't get your gripe, or at least the direction it's pointing to. Are you upset at Magic for considering a trade for Anthony Davis? "How dare he trade such young, innocent talent, I mean they're such nice guys and all" Umm don't we want to get better as a team? If you think that we'd be giving up too much for AD, then ok, I agree with you. But to blame Magic for coming up with trade scenarios to get a deal done...well, isn't that what we want him to be doing?

LBJ chose the Lakers, even though their roster isn't very good, and he committed long term. And he's been firing at his coach and undermining his teammates. It's not a great look (even though he is a great player). He didn't prioritize winning with his free agency, and he hasn't embraced the non-winning team he joined.

The Lakers could offer every pick & young player & salary relief for AD and still probably not have an adequate offer. They could probably get it done by offering LBJ . . . but I don't think that's happening. Magic/Pelinka/LBJ did not have a good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM

76 posts, read 19,982 times
I am still waiting for my Magic to make a trade but I am not holding my breath!

Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 PM

914 posts, read 1,661,133 times
Mirotic was the perfect pickup for the Bucks. Gives depth at the 4 and 5, can shoot 3's and helps the bench. The Bucks needed to make this move to keep up with the Sixers. IMO Milwaukee and Philly are the top 2 in the East.. Gasol is slowing down and I believe the Raptors gave up too much for him.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Mirotic was the perfect pickup for the Bucks. Gives depth at the 4 and 5, can shoot 3's and helps the bench. The Bucks needed to make this move to keep up with the Sixers. IMO Milwaukee and Philly are the top 2 in the East.. Gasol is slowing down and I believe the Raptors gave up too much for him.

I see Gasol as a win-now move. The Raptors sacrificed wing depth and a younger, but still good center for a better center on the tail end of his career. Gasol is a big upgrade as a passer, a better team defender, and is a solid shooter out to the midrange. He's an upgrade for this year overall. Without Kawhi under contract, the Raps are taking advantage of what may be just a one year window and going all in.

Can't say enough about Mirotic and the Bucks.

The 76ers have been a couple of steps below the Bucks & Raptors this season so far. I don't think Harris will change that.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,532,173 times
So is the East now better than the West? If Warriors are #1, is it safe to say that the #2, 3, 4, and maybe 5 best teams in the NBA are in the East?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
So is the East now better than the West? If Warriors are #1, is it safe to say that the #2, 3, 4, and maybe 5 best teams in the NBA are in the East?

Net Rating says Bucks->Warriors->Celtics->Raptors->Thunder->Pacers->Nuggets

Of course, the Pacers will drop w/o Oladipo. The switch is real, and you should expect the Warriors to perform at #1 level in the playoffs. I think it's fair to say 2-4 are in the East. I think the Raps & Bucks improved at the trad deadline, but not enough to take the #1 spot.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:04 PM

5,428 posts, read 1,542,035 times
Houston pushed GS to 7 games and almost won Game 7 despite shooting horrendously.
If Harden somehow shoots well in the playoffs, and if Paul is healthy, and Capela does a job on Cousins....
I know several IFs, but Houston are probably more likely to beat GS than anyone else is, because their formula is proven.
No other team has a formula to hurt GS in best-of-7, as far as we know.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Houston pushed GS to 7 games and almost won Game 7 despite shooting horrendously.
If Harden somehow shoots well in the playoffs, and if Paul is healthy, and Capela does a job on Cousins....
I know several IFs, but Houston are probably more likely to beat GS than anyone else is, because their formula is proven.
No other team has a formula to hurt GS in best-of-7, as far as we know.

Houston's formula is in shambles, having lost Trevor Ariza--the 2nd best Curry defender in the last decade. The Rockets are playing terrible defense this year. Chris Paul is shooting quite a bit worse, and looks either still not 100% from his hamstring, or to be showing his age more than last year.

Rivers was a good pickup for the regular season, but I don't see him as a major factor in a playoff series. Gordon has been quite bad (and probably a big factor in Harden taking the entire offense into his own hands).

Harden is scoring a ton at solid efficiency. But his turnovers are high and whistles will get tighter in the playoffs.

This Rockets team is not the closest western conference competitor, much less the toughest competition. OKC is the 2nd most challenging team in the West.

The Bucks have been the top threat to the Warriors this year, and the Mirotic acquisition solidifies that position. They are still young. One of their big challenges will be overcoming the size of the stage in the ECF and the Finals.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Budenholzer is also a better coach than D’Anotoni, another Pop disciple, who proved himself with the Hawks before all the talent left. I’m much more worried about the Bucks than anyone else. Plus, as great an offensive player as Harden is, his flopping mentality is not championship material, which is why he always freezes when it matters most.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball