U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM

17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times

Advertisements

Report: Lakers ‘a little concerned’ about LeBron James’ health

What did the Lakers expect when they hired a 33 year old, now 34 year old player with incredible mileage on the body?

That groin pull was just the beginning of the body breaking down. His body cannot heal like it did when he was younger, even though he spends almost a million dollars a year using the latest technological gadgets in order for his body to recover (he never did have such a serious injury like that before anyhow).

Quote:
This was the biggest concern about LeBron’s injury. It’s possible to play through a groin injury, but there’s a strong possibility of aggravating it. If LeBron didn’t fully recover, he faces that risk – likely heightened by his need to play his way back into shape.

The Lakers (28-29) are three games and two teams out of playoff position. They have little margin for error. They need LeBron healthy and playing at least near his usual elite level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:25 AM

37 posts, read 15,978 times
James is largely done, in the big picture sense of basketball. His bolting to LA was more for his business and social interests anyway. He is a much more extroverted and people-oriented person than Jordan, who is conversely very quiet and apolitical; James doesn't live and breathe competitive basketball like Mike did. Plus, in his infamous recent interview, LeBron was genuinely convinced that the 2016 comeback title made him the best of all-time (I disagree -- Mike was still more clutch and consistent overall in his leadership and title wins), so he thinks he doesn't have anything left to prove.

At any rate, as much as he sometimes annoyed me by the decisions he made throughout his career, I've enjoyed watching him play, and I will always remember that 2016 season fondly in particular (my late mom and I watched so many of their games that season and got so invested in that team). I think you can make a good argument to put him at #2 after Michael.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 AM

5,428 posts, read 1,542,035 times
MJ was always more about golf than basketball.
Kareem has a better body of work than LeBron, so I'd put Kareem at #2.
And if we're talking peak, I think there are as many as 10 players that we can put ahead of LeBron.
LeBron's greatness was largely based on his combination of assists and rebounds per game, and Westbrook has since proven how meaningless those stats are, because nobody thinks Westbrook is even close to the best in the NBA, despite his far superior assists and rebounds per game....

Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
And if we're talking peak, I think there are as many as 10 players that we can put ahead of LeBron.
LeBron's greatness was largely based on his combination of assists and rebounds per game, and Westbrook has since proven how meaningless those stats are, because nobody thinks Westbrook is even close to the best in the NBA, despite his far superior assists and rebounds per game....

I think success gives him the weakest resume of my top 5 all-time: MJ, Kareem, Russell, Magic, LBJ. LBJ had 2 All-NBA players in Miami and 2 All-NBA players in Cleveland. 3 titles is great, but it looks less impressive than the accomplishments of the other 4, especially considering that only Kareem had a longer career.

I don't think you can find 10 players to put ahead of LBJ. I could see a case for Shaq. If I'm really stretching, I could make a case for Bird, West, or Wilt. That's 8, and I already think I've bent too far.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I think success gives him the weakest resume of my top 5 all-time: MJ, Kareem, Russell, Magic, LBJ. LBJ had 2 All-NBA players in Miami and 2 All-NBA players in Cleveland. 3 titles is great, but it looks less impressive than the accomplishments of the other 4, especially considering that only Kareem had a longer career.

I don't think you can find 10 players to put ahead of LBJ. I could see a case for Shaq. If I'm really stretching, I could make a case for Bird, West, or Wilt. That's 8, and I already think I've bent too far.
To be honest I have no way of deducing how many are ahead of LeBron, it could be any number.
There is no system to decide this, and I've never cared enough to form an opinion.
But my instinct tells me there are about 10 that had arguably better peaks than LeBron.
I was never that impressed with LeBron's peak.
I'm very impressed with his longevity though.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM

17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times
That was a seriously dirty play by CP3 last nite against LBJ.

LBJ was lucky not to get a shoulder separation. Little wonder CP3 has a reputation as a dirty player.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,043,561 times
Quote:
I have noticed that averaging somewhat close to a triple double is getting more common. Seems like a lot more players are trying to do it all thus averaging 7-8+ boards and assist. Don’t think it was as common when Lebron was first doing it...I remember many people saying “he averages nearly a triple double”. Now you have rookies coming in putting up balanced Lebron-like numbers (for example Donic 21/7/6 in 32 minutes).

Old 02-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have noticed that averaging somewhat close to a triple double is getting more common. Seems like a lot more players are trying to do it all thus averaging 7-8+ boards and assist. Don’t think it was as common when Lebron was first doing it...I remember many people saying “he averages nearly a triple double”. Now you have rookies coming in putting up balanced Lebron-like numbers (for example Donic 21/7/6 in 32 minutes).
And LeBron didn't even average 8.0rpg AND 8.0apg until his 14th year!
Simmons did it in his rookie year 8.1rpg and 8.2apg.
Westbrook has totally changed things, now in his 3rd straight triple-double year, and currently averaging 11.2rpg and 11.2apg....

Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Westbrook has totally changed things, now in his 3rd straight triple-double year, and currently averaging 11.2rpg and 11.2apg....

And neither Simmons nor Westbrook is half the player LeBron is--even as his athleticism declines.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:24 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,043,561 times
Quote:
Seems like any decent ball handler will give you 5+ assist in 35 minutes. A below average guard like Chris Duhon averaged 7.2 assist one year. Also a lot of jump shooting going on and typically every player on the court can shoot. All those 3s being attempted means long rebounds for quicker perimeter players. Big men stepping out to shoot means perimeter players can get inside and increase their odds of getting rebounds. A small relatively slow player like Curry has averaged 5.1-5.4 rebounds during 3 seasons. Something like 20+/7+/7+ is almost common for elite players in today’s NBA....Lebron, Westbrook, Harden, Jokic, Simmons, Durant, Giannis, etc.

In just the last decade, the amount of triple doubles has increased 3-4x. In Jordan’s last season with the Bulls there were 22 triple doubles for the entire NBA. This season I think we are on pace to see 115 or so triple doubles.

Kinda makes me wonder what MJ’s stat line might look like in today’s NBA if he decided to fill up the stat sheet. We already know he put up 10 triple doubles in 11 games playing PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball