U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM
 
4,492 posts, read 3,156,199 times
Reputation: 4293

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The balance of power in the NBA is shifting...

I'm not completely sold on Philly. I think Butler adds toughness, defense and takes much of the scoring burden from Embiid. I still don't think they can beat Toronto and I'm not sure they are a sure bet over Milwaukee...

A month into the season, Boston is a 5-seed. This team is not winning a title as currently construed unless they get the big fish (Anthony Davis)...

Carmelo was a great player in this league for 10, 11 years, but it's over unless he swallows his pride. There is a lot of talk going on about his legacy. Believe it or not, he's probably my favorite All-Time player, he definitely was my favorite player for years. He will be remembered as a dominant scorer and an electric talent who just was not a great leader. Selfish, a little combative, but a great player. He's a Top 20 player of the last 15 years. I'm not sure he cracks a Top 60 All-Time list, but a great player nonetheless...

The Wolves are spinning their wheels. I'm encouraged by Rose's resurgence and I do believe they'll play better now that Butler is gone. But I've never been a believer in Towns (overrated!), this team will still struggle to make the postseason if the Clips, Kings, Grizz remain competitive for the next five months...

I love that Houston is struggling...

Writing has been on the wall for the Warriors for about a year now. They may very well win it again (though I doubt it) and be remembered as the GOAT team, but this run is coming to a close and its ending fast...
Melo was fun in Denver. Never the same after that. Much like Stoudemire. Fun in Phoenix, but not much fun after that. Many athletes bet on themselves, but that doesn't always work for them in the long run.


The Wolves will always struggle. That was proven in Chicago under Tom. Tom had a different caliber of players in Chicago, compared to what he has in Minnesota. Tom wore out his welcome in Chicago and wore out with me too. This was never going to work in Minnesota, unless Tom learned how to change his coaching style when he took a sabbatical from the league. He didn't learn anything in his time off, so he runs his starting lineup into the ground. Let's not forget that KAT and Wiggins are proving that losing is not that big of a deal for them. They're not the leaders you need in place to make a run at a championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2018, 07:28 AM
 
5,432 posts, read 1,545,163 times
Reputation: 2264
I know stats are only part of the equation, but Melo has extremely similar career stats to Kobe.
Melo = 24.0 points, .449 field, .347 treys 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.5 blocks.
Kobe = 25.0 points, .447 field, .329 treys, 5.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.5 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 07:55 AM
 
4,492 posts, read 3,156,199 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I know stats are only part of the equation, but Melo has extremely similar career stats to Kobe.
Melo = 24.0 points, .449 field, .347 treys 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.5 blocks.
Kobe = 25.0 points, .447 field, .329 treys, 5.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.5 blocks.

Melo, like Kobe, was a volume scorer. He should average 20 points a night, along with rebounds and assist. For his height, ability to play multiple positions, and his ability to shoot from 3, there's no reason why he couldn't average 20+ points a night. Also, for the majority of his career, like Kobe, he was the number 1 option, so another reason to have those stats. He's going to have nights where he's going to shoot the ball 20+ times. No reason why he can't get 20+ points, especially if he's driving to the basket and getting to go to the foul line.


Where Melo differs from Kobe, is that Melo never had the Kobe desire to win. Not many people have the Kobe desire, which mimics Jordan's. The main difference is people like Kobe, yet the same can't be said for Jordan (on a personal level). Melo shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Kobe, because they're no where near the same player. Melo's stats are padded with his best years being in Denver. He had a broken down Amare in New York and that was the beginning of the end for his career. Melo is not easy to play with either, his personality is like a Dwight Howard lite on the court. Who wants to play long-term around that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM
 
5,432 posts, read 1,545,163 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Melo, like Kobe, was a volume scorer. He should average 20 points a night, along with rebounds and assist. For his height, ability to play multiple positions, and his ability to shoot from 3, there's no reason why he couldn't average 20+ points a night. Also, for the majority of his career, like Kobe, he was the number 1 option, so another reason to have those stats. He's going to have nights where he's going to shoot the ball 20+ times. No reason why he can't get 20+ points, especially if he's driving to the basket and getting to go to the foul line.


Where Melo differs from Kobe, is that Melo never had the Kobe desire to win. Not many people have the Kobe desire, which mimics Jordan's. The main difference is people like Kobe, yet the same can't be said for Jordan (on a personal level). Melo shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Kobe, because they're no where near the same player. Melo's stats are padded with his best years being in Denver. He had a broken down Amare in New York and that was the beginning of the end for his career. Melo is not easy to play with either, his personality is like a Dwight Howard lite on the court. Who wants to play long-term around that?
Actually I thought Kobe was known for being hated by NBA fans (outside of LA), especially after the Colorado rape allegation, and after Shaq was forced out of LA.
And as a basketball player a large segment of NBA fans viewed Kobe as a chucker.

Whereas Jordan was known for being universally loved by NBA fans, and also by non-NBA fans, and non-sports fans, he was an American hero.
Opposition fans would come to watch Jordan, and they'd cheer him more than they cheered their own players.

Jordan and Tiger Woods were universally loved.
I think Shaq had more universal appeal than Kobe.

And if you mean 'personal' as in their teammates and coaches, then obviously Kobe was not liked.
Phil Jackson's autobiography indicated he really didn't like being around Kobe.
And apart from Derek Fisher, did Kobe get along with any teammates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 05:22 PM
 
4,492 posts, read 3,156,199 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Actually I thought Kobe was known for being hated by NBA fans (outside of LA), especially after the Colorado rape allegation, and after Shaq was forced out of LA.
And as a basketball player a large segment of NBA fans viewed Kobe as a chucker.

Whereas Jordan was known for being universally loved by NBA fans, and also by non-NBA fans, and non-sports fans, he was an American hero.
Opposition fans would come to watch Jordan, and they'd cheer him more than they cheered their own players.

Jordan and Tiger Woods were universally loved.
I think Shaq had more universal appeal than Kobe.

And if you mean 'personal' as in their teammates and coaches, then obviously Kobe was not liked.
Phil Jackson's autobiography indicated he really didn't like being around Kobe.
And apart from Derek Fisher, did Kobe get along with any teammates?
I like Jordan for what he brought to the game, but on a personal level, he's not a good human being. Shaq and Kobe couldn't get along, because both of them have huge egos.

Jordan and Tiger universally loved is true, but their personal lives are easily forgiven, because for what they contributed to the sports they dominated. No one talks about how difficult of a person Jordan is to be friends with. He has limited friends and wasn't well liked by Chicago players, but he brought the team 6 championships, so winning was put above how they felt about playing with each other. There's no mystery that Tigers's personal life derailed when he started spending more time around Jordan. Charles Barkley lost a lot of money gambling trying to keep up with Jordan as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Reputation: 4497
Lets not act like everybody loves Jordan hahahaha. Basketball fans love his mythology, the 6-for-6, the dominant player of his era. Only the most loopy Jordan Stans have confusion as to his personal character, which is widely known to be not that likeable of a guy, and a bit of a ****ty human being. Jordan is the prime example of a guy who came from nothing, got rich, and became the billionaire who thinks everyone else is beneath him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 05:02 AM
 
5,432 posts, read 1,545,163 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I like Jordan for what he brought to the game, but on a personal level, he's not a good human being. Shaq and Kobe couldn't get along, because both of them have huge egos.

Jordan and Tiger universally loved is true, but their personal lives are easily forgiven, because for what they contributed to the sports they dominated. No one talks about how difficult of a person Jordan is to be friends with. He has limited friends and wasn't well liked by Chicago players, but he brought the team 6 championships, so winning was put above how they felt about playing with each other. There's no mystery that Tigers's personal life derailed when he started spending more time around Jordan. Charles Barkley lost a lot of money gambling trying to keep up with Jordan as well.
Gambling obviously doesn't make someone a bad person.
I've never seen any evidence of Jordan being a bad person.
And I've never seen a man give more time to the fans than Jordan did/does.
I've never heard anything about Jordan being a bad father.
You can say Jordan wasn't a great husband, but long before they divorced I heard their marriage was a sham anyway, a marriage of convenience.
Phil Jackson always had a great relationship with Jordan, but not with Kobe.
Also, Jordan appears to have kept the same circle of friends, for decades, so they obviously like him and he's loyal to them.

As for Kobe's personal life, he'll forever be remembered for this-
"First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year....
Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,488 posts, read 15,447,826 times
Reputation: 11402
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I like Jordan for what he brought to the game, but on a personal level, he's not a good human being.
Not sure why you went here...

He hasn't killed or robbed anyone has he? He keeps people at arms length away - that's a personality issue.

He is not Mr. Charismatic and he has his own issues like everyone else.

But when you say he is not a good human being - that goes to the level to imply that he has caused harm to others, an I don't think he has done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 AM
 
17,280 posts, read 10,200,031 times
Reputation: 28808
Just like Barry Bonds Jr., MJ was/is a terrible person outside of his basketball accomplishments.

15 Horrible Things Michael Jordan Has Actually Done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 09:32 AM
 
5,432 posts, read 1,545,163 times
Reputation: 2264
^ Its funny they included the Obama golf story, as if calling Obama a "hack golfer" is forbidden.....Most of America viewed Obama as a hack President in 2010, when he lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats.
Obama isn't a golfer, so MJ dissing that is nothing, while Obama dissed MJ's actual job performance (as owner of Charlotte).
It really just exposed Obama's petty ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top