Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

No doubt Lonzo is a great talent and will make an impact in the NBA.

But over 400 bucks for a shoe, from a guy that has never played a single game in the NBA?

Shoes look decent, but come on!

Big Baller Brand unveils debut ZO2 shoe for Lonzo Ball

Quote:
LaVar Ball's Big Baller Brand on Thursday unveiled the ZO2 shoe line that he designed for his son Lonzo, with the main pair debuting at $495 on the company's website.

A Lonzo Ball-autographed pair of the shoes, in the "Wet" color scheme, are being sold for $995. Sandals with Lonzo Ball's logo on the top are $220 per pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 11:05 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
The shoes look nice but you'd have to be a complete idiot or Lavar Ball (well he's a complete idiot anyways so...) to put down almost $500 when you include tax for a pair of shoes from some guy who hasn't played a second of NBA basketball.

If you want to go buy brand names shoes from star players you can buy a pair of Jordan's for less the price, and I heard that guy named Jordan was a pretty damn good basketball player. How do we know whether Lonzo Ball ends up like DeMar DeRozan a solid if not unspectacular player, or someone like Jamal Crawford who's hung around the league for 15 years because he's willing to come off the bench as the 6th man and a 3 point shooter.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:23 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Bringing a shoe out at $400 seems to have done what they wanted...get attention. Pretty much everyone that even slightly follows basketball now knows that Ball has a signature shoe. I have no idea what other top 3 picks in the last 5 years have their own shoe. So I guess it's mission accomplished when people that don't care about apparel know you have a brand and maybe what some of the crap looks like. The father is playing the fans and "haters" like a fiddle. He's almost like a boxing promoter that's turning his son into the Floyd Mayweather of basketball.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 AM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
What I don't understand why everyone is hating so much, let the market decide. At the same time people are hating, they will kill to wear overpriced Rolex watches,spend hundreds to attend a sporting event, Tom Ford clothes, women bragging about their overpriced bags and dumb red bottom shoes. Some people will buy them because they can and you can't like everything else and if you can't , you are not his market Big Baller

Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
They will be out of business before he plays his first NBA game.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
I think the hate is about the father writing checks he could never possibly cover, and expecting his sons to. It smells of exploitation, whether it is or not is up them. Me, I'm glad when anyone can stick it to the machine that is corporations. Nike is a bad bad player in the world and good for them (the Balls) for demanding more. They're absolutely nuts if they think people will pay that price. The target audience couldn't afford these in a million years, and makes one wonder if they've thought through the potential bad that price can generate.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:43 PM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I think the hate is about the father writing checks he could never possibly cover, and expecting his sons to. It smells of exploitation, whether it is or not is up them. Me, I'm glad when anyone can stick it to the machine that is corporations. Nike is a bad bad player in the world and good for them (the Balls) for demanding more. They're absolutely nuts if they think people will pay that price. The target audience couldn't afford these in a million years, and makes one wonder if they've thought through the potential bad that price can generate.
What is the target market? He keeps saying over and over what the market is,those who can afford the shoes. Last I remember Kanye West shoe retailed for $1,000 and is now completely sold out and people are begging for more to me made. If you make at least $10,000 or more monthly, what is $500.00 for shoes to go with your designer suit and your $900 Iphone

Old 05-06-2017, 02:10 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No doubt Lonzo is a great talent and will make an impact in the NBA.

But over 400 bucks for a shoe, from a guy that has never played a single game in the NBA?

Shoes look decent, but come on!

Big Baller Brand unveils debut ZO2 shoe for Lonzo Ball
Status symbol for idiots.

Look what women pay for some purses or shoes....same thing.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:14 PM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
I think Lavar is steering his kids down the wrong path. As others have said, he's putting the pressure on his kids to succeed even more than it already is.

With that said, I somewhat commend him for doing what they are doing. They are taking a chance to start the company early. Imagine if Lebron started a company right out of high school. Sure he got alot of money from Nike but i wouldn't doubt that his own company would be worth quite a lot today. Maybe not immediately...maybe not even by year 5 but today? I'd bet they would be competing with Nike and Reebok and others for top talent. It's kinda like musicians starting their own label as opposed to signing with the major ones and getting peanuts in relation to what the album actually sold

On a side note...what does it mean for the younger Ball brothers. Can they wear this shoe in high school or college? does that count as an endorsement?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
What is the target market? He keeps saying over and over what the market is,those who can afford the shoes. Last I remember Kanye West shoe retailed for $1,000 and is now completely sold out and people are begging for more to me made. If you make at least $10,000 or more monthly, what is $500.00 for shoes to go with your designer suit and your $900 Iphone
His target is kids who can't afford these shoes. He can say whatever he wants but that's who drives this market, not upscale yuppies or posers like West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball