U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 01:43 PM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Giannis, Embiid, LeBron, Booker, Anthony Davis all average over 25ppg while shooting less than 34% downtown, so Zion doesn't need a consistent 3-pointer.
Zion's free-throws are .640 and that's almost as good as LeBron (.665).
I disagree that Zion doesn't need a 3 point shot but I would say if he hits 34%, that's probably good enough to force opponents to guard him to the 3 pt line which would allow him to drive and dunk. Lebron has lost a lot of Championships due to inability to make free throw, why would you want Zion to do the same?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 02:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 8,079,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I disagree that Zion doesn't need a 3 point shot but I would say if he hits 34%, that's probably good enough to force opponents to guard him to the 3 pt line which would allow him to drive and dunk. Lebron has lost a lot of Championships due to inability to make free throw, why would you want Zion to do the same?
Yup, yup, 33-34% is the magic number, averages to about 1 point per shot, which makes it worth taking. The best of the best can shoot a lower percent than this and still thrive because of the other parts of their game are unstoppable. Zion may end up at that level, but being efficient and effective from long range is both desirable and probably achievable.

As for FT%, yeah, have to get better than that to be a "closer" at the NBA level.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,521,559 times
Do y'all think he is for sure going to New Orleans? Wherever he goes I'll be watching. He's so much fun to watch and cheer for and I love how humble he is. I hope he stays humble.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Do y'all think he is for sure going to New Orleans? Wherever he goes I'll be watching. He's so much fun to watch and cheer for and I love how humble he is. I hope he stays humble.
Yes, New orleans will draft him unless someone offers up something like Lebron or KD....not likely.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,521,559 times
Quote:
Yes, New orleans will draft him unless someone offers up something like Lebron or KD....not likely.
Thanks. I know nothing about how the lottery works. Can he decide to stay at Duke or is that not a possibility at this point? I've been reading it's not possible and then I read he could stay so not sure.

He probably won't since many are claiming his dad said he is not staying but who knows if that's just a rumor. I've been reading he'd be crazy to go back because he could get injured and not be able to play in the NBA.

I'm sure he will do great wherever he goes.

If he goes to New Orleans, how long does he have to stay? Can he play a year and then go elsewhere if he'd rather?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM

5,444 posts, read 1,548,736 times
Quote:
It makes no difference what you or I want.
The reality is, even if Zion shoots below 70% from the free-throw-line (as LeBron and Shaq did), he can still be the best player in the NBA, and he can still win championships.
Especially true now that teams aren't even using the hack-a-shaq tactic....as nobody tried to foul Ben Simmons in the playoffs....

Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks. I know nothing about how the lottery works. Can he decide to stay at Duke or is that not a possibility at this point? I've been reading it's not possible and then I read he could stay so not sure.

He probably won't since many are claiming his dad said he is not staying but who knows if that's just a rumor. I've been reading he'd be crazy to go back because he could get injured and not be able to play in the NBA.

I'm sure he will do great wherever he goes.

If he goes to New Orleans, how long does he have to stay? Can he play a year and then go elsewhere if he'd rather?
No, he can't go back to college at this point. I think they are obligated to the team that drafted them for 4 years unless they are traded

Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
It makes no difference what you or I want.
The reality is, even if Zion shoots below 70% from the free-throw-line (as LeBron and Shaq did), he can still be the best player in the NBA, and he can still win championships.
Especially true now that teams aren't even using the hack-a-shaq tactic....as nobody tried to foul Ben Simmons in the playoffs....
Making 3's is an integral part of winning NBA Championships today and shooting free throws well has always been important. He can be a good player without shooting the 3 well or shooting or a high% on his free throws but I don't think he'll be a great player unless he works on and gets better at them.

Zion does not have the complete floor game that Lebron had when he entered the NBA, he needs to work on it and get better. His coaches will tell him he needs to work on the things I mentioned.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 1,548,736 times
Quote:
Making 3's is an integral part of winning NBA Championships today and shooting free throws well has always been important. He can be a good player without shooting the 3 well or shooting or a high% on his free throws but I don't think he'll be a great player unless he works on and gets better at them.

Zion does not have the complete floor game that Lebron had when he entered the NBA, he needs to work on it and get better. His coaches will tell him he needs to work on the things I mentioned.
Zion already looks better than rookie Giannis, by far, and Giannis still isn't a consistent 3-point-shooter, but is about to win MVP and the Championship
LeBron still shoots 66% from the free-throw-line, and shot under 70% in the 2016 and 2017 Playoffs, and nobody can accuse LeBron of not working on his game.
So its not as simple as a coach telling a player to work on free-throw shooting.
Every coach would have said that already to Zion.
Often hard work just isn't enough.
We won't know for a while whether Zion has the capacity to be a good free-throw shooter, or struggle like LeBron.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Zion already looks better than rookie Giannis, by far, and Giannis still isn't a consistent 3-point-shooter, but is about to win MVP and the Championship
LeBron still shoots 66% from the free-throw-line, and shot under 70% in the 2016 and 2017 Playoffs, and nobody can accuse LeBron of not working on his game.
So its not as simple as a coach telling a player to work on free-throw shooting.
Every coach would have said that already to Zion.
Often hard work just isn't enough.
We won't know for a while whether Zion has the capacity to be a good free-throw shooter, or struggle like LeBron.
They won't beat GS especially if KD is healthy....revert back to 3 pt shooting and free throws. GS has the formula for wining Championships now.

Zion will be rich and make all star teams as long as he's healthy but he won't be a great player unless he does as I mentioned, improve 3 pt shooting, free throws and drop a few lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball