U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:43 AM

18,575 posts, read 9,599,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
His ceiling right now is Blake Griffin, which, if that's the case, means he'll be a borderline HOF'er. That means there will likely come a stretch where he's debatable a Top 10 guy. How long said stretch lasts is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't think he necessarily has HOF'er in him...

The Pelicans will shave some of that weight off him to make him even more explosive. In order to succeed in the NBA at the level people say, he's gonna need to be more than dunking on everyone. Remember, Blake did that too. He will develop a shot, but how reliable will it be? How will he perform under pressure? If he can slim it down to 260 of muscle a la LeBron, then we have a chance to really see something....

Until then, I think he'll be better than Randle, but his ceiling really doesn't appear transcendent as everyone wants to believe...
Zion is 35 lbs heavier than Blake and has more quickness and explosion and that will translate into him being able to score using his weight and strength which Blake doesn't have. He will need to develop his shot and FT shooting as I've mentioned several times to be a great player.

Zion is also 35 lbs heavier and stronger than Randle with better hops and quickness so he's going to be much better than Randle provided he develops his skillset.

I do agree he should lose a few lbs. but as you mention, that only makes him faster and more high flying.

From a physical talent perspective, Zion supplants Lebron as the 2nd most athletically gifted player in NBA history after Chamberlain...he'll need to want to develop and be great to use it properly and I think he might.

My only reservation is how the NBA is played today makes the 3 pt. shot so important so he'll need to develop a better 3 to the great player some are predicting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 PM

3,069 posts, read 4,209,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Zion is 35 lbs heavier than Blake and has more quickness and explosion and that will translate into him being able to score using his weight and strength which Blake doesn't have. He will need to develop his shot and FT shooting as I've mentioned several times to be a great player.

Zion is also 35 lbs heavier and stronger than Randle with better hops and quickness so he's going to be much better than Randle provided he develops his skillset.

I do agree he should lose a few lbs. but as you mention, that only makes him faster and more high flying.

From a physical talent perspective, Zion supplants Lebron as the 2nd most athletically gifted player in NBA history after Chamberlain...he'll need to want to develop and be great to use it properly and I think he might.

My only reservation is how the NBA is played today makes the 3 pt. shot so important so he'll need to develop a better 3 to the great player some are predicting.
I agree with this. He also has a better all around game than Blake did. He understands the flow already and his shot is much better than Blake's was when Blake was a rookie. It still all remains to be seen. Been looking for some Pelican summer games, but haven't seen any yet.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I agree with this. He also has a better all around game than Blake did. He understands the flow already and his shot is much better than Blake's was when Blake was a rookie. It still all remains to be seen. Been looking for some Pelican summer games, but haven't seen any yet.
I think they are sitting Zion out the rest of the time as a precaution. I saw his first game, he was dominant on his dunks and his overall game but it's obvious that he needs to work on his jump shot especially 3 pt shot.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:00 PM

3,069 posts, read 4,209,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think they are sitting Zion out the rest of the time as a precaution. I saw his first game, he was dominant on his dunks and his overall game but it's obvious that he needs to work on his jump shot especially 3 pt shot.
Yup. I understand why they are doing it, but I wanted to watch!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 AM

17,318 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Coach K: Zion Williamson was out of shape, 'never should've played' in Summer League

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

7,719 posts, read 4,575,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
His ceiling right now is Blake Griffin, which, if that's the case, means he'll be a borderline HOF'er. That means there will likely come a stretch where he's debatable a Top 10 guy. How long said stretch lasts is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't think he necessarily has HOF'er in him...

The Pelicans will shave some of that weight off him to make him even more explosive. In order to succeed in the NBA at the level people say, he's gonna need to be more than dunking on everyone. Remember, Blake did that too. He will develop a shot, but how reliable will it be? How will he perform under pressure? If he can slim it down to 260 of muscle a la LeBron, then we have a chance to really see something....

Until then, I think he'll be better than Randle, but his ceiling really doesn't appear transcendent as everyone wants to believe...
I'm late to this thread, but I mostly agree with you, except one caveat: Zion is a generous 6'7.

Zion's ceiling is higher than Griffin's but he's less likely to achieve it. What makes him special is the combination of his size, agility and explosiveness. The problem lies in the fact that he's probably too heavy and generates too much force for his tendons, ligaments and joints to sustain. Zion at his current weight is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. In order to have a long, healthy career, he will probably have to shed 30 pounds, at which point he becomes 6'7" Blake Griffin...which is less effective than 6'10" Blake Griffin.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm late to this thread, but I mostly agree with you, except one caveat: Zion is a generous 6'7.

Zion's ceiling is higher than Griffin's but he's less likely to achieve it. What makes him special is the combination of his size, agility and explosiveness. The problem lies in the fact that he's probably too heavy and generates too much force for his tendons, ligaments and joints to sustain. Zion at his current weight is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. In order to have a long, healthy career, he will probably have to shed 30 pounds, at which point he becomes 6'7" Blake Griffin...which is less effective than 6'10" Blake Griffin.
I think I agree with everything you said except not sure about the part about Zion losing 30 lbs becomes a 6'7" (at most) Blake Griffin. He'll still be quicker and stronger and likely more explosive off his feet if he plays at 260 lbs. If he is "only as good as Griffin," that stills is pretty good though it will fall short of the hype. The extra 3"+ that Griffin has is an advantage to be sure.

I especially agree that he has a higher ceiling but I have no comment on whether or not he'll reach it.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,373,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
In order to have a long, healthy career, he will probably have to shed 30 pounds.

Zion is probably in the worst city to try to lose or maintain weight. New Orleans cuisine is delicious & isn't exactly light on the calories.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Zion is probably in the worst city to try to lose or maintain weight. New Orleans cuisine is delicious & isn't exactly light on the calories.

I hope he doesn't take a liking to Gumbo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball