U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM

4,981 posts, read 11,046,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
If you wanna put asses in the seats, pick Zion 1st. If you want a winning basketball player, pick RJ 1st. NBA's a shooting league; Zion hits about a third of his three-point shots and 65% of his free throws.

By the way this talk about BB players playing football. You have to understand that football players have a rare mentality; they like collision. When I hear people talk about how certain BB players, like Lebron, would be great NFLers, I have to laugh. He whines when there's contact. I can just see how he'd react to NFL-style collision.
Check RJ's shooting percentage (457), free throw percentage (66%), three point percentage (30%) efficiency numbers, rebounding, steals and +/- numbers....tell me which of the two, Zion or RJ was on the ACC All Defensive Team...

Zion hits 69%!! from the floor, 65% from the free throw line (though I bet its higher in the clutch, haven't seen him miss 2 game clinchers the way RJ did against UNC) and 31% from 3 point range...

Then tell me what Duke's record was with and without Zion while RJ was still on the court....

NOW tell me which one is the "winning basketball player"

RJ is over rated, requires high volume of shots and is selfish, too often taking rushed low percentage shots when an open team mate is clearly in view.....Jayson Tatum IS RJ Barrett but can actually shoot!!!

One player is a transcendant talent and basketball savant who makes everyone around him better.....the other is RJ Barrett....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:14 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,014,813 times
Put The Mount as #1 in draft pick.

Vacate #2-10.

Put the next draft pick at #11 and so on. This is the only year where the first pick is a man against the boys and should be separated.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM

3,246 posts, read 579,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Put The Mount as #1 in draft pick.

Vacate #2-10.

Put the next draft pick at #11 and so on. This is the only year where the first pick is a man against the boys and should be separated.
I heard a sports talk guy named Andrew Philiponi (sp?) say that he thought Ja Morant should be #1 because Zion in college is a 'man against boys' who will no longer be such when he gets to the NBA.

You just never know with draft picks. How many 'next Larry Birds' have we had over the last couple decades? Adam Morrison was the last one. IIRC he went #2 or 3.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 AM

1,130 posts, read 554,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
ok
Now let me preface by saying this: I don't think Zion Williamson is a bad player. Not at all. By all accounts he's living up to the hype at Duke thus far. But I'm reading everywhere that NBA teams had better start tanking so that they can grab this guy in the draft where he's supposed to be either number 1 at best or a lottery pick at worst.

How is this even possible? He's 6'7, 285 lbs. He's an undersized power forward/center who thrives when playing physical on the inside. While he can make the outside jumper (sometimes) its not his strength at all. Bigger question, who exactly is he going to guard in the NBA??? At 6'7 he's way too small to bang with your typical NBA 4 or 5 (Think Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, etc, all 6'10 and taller. They would eat him for breakfast in the low post) but at 285 lbs he would be too slow to guard NBA small forwards on the perimeter.

The easy solution would be to say "well he just needs to lose weight". But the problem is that from what I've seen of him, his game is based on power not finesse, all power dunks and stuff inside. I think it would be harder for him to keep playing that type of game if he dropped down to 235 lbs which would actually be more in line with his height.

The other thing is I watched some of the Gonzaga game. I found it interesting that he wasn't the number one option at the end there. if he's not the clear top option on a college team, how is that going to happen when he's the number one pick playing with seasoned NBA players, all or most of whom would have more years seniority? The one thing that stood out about the great NBA stars who played college was that they stood head and shoulders above EVERYONE in college. Think Durant or Carmelo at Syracuse, even compared to other guys on their teams who would be good enough to play in the NBA, there was no question as to who was top dog. There is a serious question with Zion.

Then there's the weight thing. 285 lbs as a broke college teenager? say hello to weight problems once he starts making that NBA money. If you've watched the NBA long enough, plenty of players have eaten their way out of the NBA. I would be scared to death if I was an NBA exec.

Now do I think he would be a terrible NBA player? No. in the right situation, he could become a decent role player or maybe coming off the bench but lottery pick franchise player? no way.

Sad thing is, I can think of one sport in which he WOULD be a franchise type player...football! he's basically Gronkowski 2.0. Same size/height, only even more athletic than Gronk (with a 42 inch vertical). In football he would be a lottery pick, and when you remember that he isn't even the first basketball player to make the leap (see Antonio Gates) it's not out of the question for him. Like I said, in the NBA he would at best be a role player with a decent probability of being a bust. In the NFL he would be a superstar with a potentially HOF career ahead of him.
He's like a much heavier version of Michael Dickerson with the same agility. Dickerson was great at U. of Arizona back in the mid to late 1990s and when they won their only championship. But he had sort of a mediocre career in the NBA despite the numerous accolades when he was in college. Your analysis seems pragmatic and raises legitimate concerns. The injury because of the "shoe" is more rooted in his heavy frame disproportionate to his height by NCAA standards.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:04 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Basketball has never REALLY seen a player with that size and agility...even Barkley was much smaller. I don’t think height is really a concern...in today’s NBA you can basically play all positions aside from center at 6’7-6’8 (sometimes even center). What’s a 6’10 dude gonna do with those 2-3 inches when a 285 lb muscular body doesn’t move and certainly out jumps/quicks them? BBQ chicken.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Guy is built like a tank, and can handle the ball and move like a point guard.

Easy number 1 pick and rookie of the year in the NBA.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:04 PM

4,981 posts, read 11,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Guy is built like a tank, and can handle the ball and move like a point guard.

Easy number 1 pick and rookie of the year in the NBA.
Exactly...

As to the point of this thread, Zion is NOT over rated...if anything he was under rated going into this season

Rare that a player at any level not only lives up to the hype but exceeds...

He just singlehandedly willed his team into the sweet 16

Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Exactly...

As to the point of this thread, Zion is NOT over rated...if anything he was under rated going into this season

Rare that a player at any level not only lives up to the hype but exceeds...

He just singlehandedly willed his team into the sweet 16
That was an amazing performance, he was fearless and has the mindset to be a dominant player in the NBA.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 6,364,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

Sad thing is, I can think of one sport in which he WOULD be a franchise type player...football! he's basically Gronkowski 2.0. Same size/height, only even more athletic than Gronk (with a 42 inch vertical). In football he would be a lottery pick, and when you remember that he isn't even the first basketball player to make the leap (see Antonio Gates) it's not out of the question for him. Like I said, in the NBA he would at best be a role player with a decent probability of being a bust. In the NFL he would be a superstar with a potentially HOF career ahead of him.
Unless he played football growing up, I doubt he can come straight out of basketball and be able to handle the physicality of football. In basketball players dont get to push and shove you with impunity. And its not like Zion can play any position not on the line. Zion will gas immediately. I know Dabo Swinney came out and said, he like Zion on his team, but it just a nice gesture. There plenty of DIII, DII, DIAA guys the same as Zion, and they cannot even play D1A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The way the money works out I think you can make more as second or third tier NBA level player than you can as a pro-bowl level NFL player.
NBA has fewer roster spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Barkley had no problem getting up and down the court, so I see no problem.
And many would say Zion is more athletic than Barkley.
Look at how many games Barkley played in his first 9 years- 82, 80, 68, 80, 79, 79, 67, 75, 76, and close to 40 minutes per game for most of those years.
Barkley was never that big though.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times
In an age where there's always some hyped up can't-miss prospect(s) that provides more sizzle than steak (Andrew Wiggins, Lonzo Ball (though thats more his father but still), Jabari Parker), this guy is the best college player I've seen in a long time. The hype is deserved in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball