U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 02:46 PM

3,245 posts, read 579,095 times

Advertisements

What do people think about a comparison between Zion and Darryl Dawkins, 6-11 250 lb player from the 70s-80s. He was known mostly for dunking (and for breaking backboards). He did have a 15 year career, but don't think he ever got to the NBA finals
https://www.basketball-reference.com...dawkida01.html

He averaged .572 fg%, .685 FT percentage, 6.1 rebounds and 12 points over his career. A nice career, but not what you would like out of a #1 pick. I think the fear some have is that Zion will become a 6-7 version of Dawkins.

On the other hand Shawn Kemp, whom I watched, was a somewhat similar guy 6-10 with great leaping ability and a pretty big frame, but no jump shot. He mastered the 12-15 foot jump shot several years into his career, and that was when the Sonics went to the finals (but lost to MJ's Bulls).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1J86HLTyiM
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 06:39 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
I’m starting to see Zion making good passes and knocking down jumpers. If he just becomes an average shooter/passer in the NBA I don’t see how a team would guard him.

AND what about Zion getting the ball stolen and being quick enough to turn around, catch a guard and block the layup. That play was scary athleticism.

He could improve his handles a bit, but in college it seems like if he fumbles the ball he can just bully his way into grabbing it as the defenders bounce off.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:57 PM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
For all the talk of Barkley I see a bigger and stronger Grandmama Larry Johnson. And he is probably coming out after one year of college. The question is given the new interpretation of the rules will his Williamson's strength be as big an asset against bigger and stronger NBA players as extra strength was in Johnson's era?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM

3,188 posts, read 6,344,075 times
After watching this Tournament, I'm rethinking Barrett as a lotto pick! And while I still love Zion, I got Ja Morant as my #1 pick!

Old 04-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 22 days ago)

2,101 posts, read 586,506 times
As long as he can continue to hook the guy guarding him (while elbowing him in the face), and bull rush into people on every drive (and get a foul called against the guy he leaps into or pushes down) he'll be fine in the NBA. That's my main issue with him. Half of his drives could have fouls called on him if the officials called fouls on the big name guys like they do everyone else. Will it be the same in the NBA? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Personally, I think he will be in the NBA for awhile, but will never be someone we are talking about in the same sentence as Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, et al.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM

4,981 posts, read 11,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
As long as he can continue to hook the guy guarding him (while elbowing him in the face), and bull rush into people on every drive (and get a foul called against the guy he leaps into or pushes down) he'll be fine in the NBA. That's my main issue with him. Half of his drives could have fouls called on him if the officials called fouls on the big name guys like they do everyone else. Will it be the same in the NBA? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Personally, I think he will be in the NBA for awhile, but will never be someone we are talking about in the same sentence as Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, et al.
It's funny to read stuff like this and the OP about Zion....because it is so obvious that the person writing never watched more than 5 minutes of Zion playing basketball....

I'm guessing the only time you watched Zion was against MSU since the elbowing incident was literally the only time it happened all season...

The other nonsense about him "bull rushing" players on every drive??? Never happened....

He has incredible finesse around the basket which is why he had less than 1/2 of the offensive fouls called on him that Barrett did.

I don't expect Zion to be the next Lebron or MJ....but I will be shocked if he isn't a top 5 player in the NBA in short order.

He has physical attributes that you can't teach, unbelievable finisher around the rim and not just dunking....above average ball handler and passer and can literally guard anyone on the floor.....he will intimidate players taller than him due to his shot blocking ability. He is also quick enough to cover the quickest guards...he has no outside shot but neither does Simmons....hasn't seemed to limit his rise to stardom...

Guy is a joy to watch and whatever anyone else wants to say the point of this thread was already moot...

However "hyped" Zion was coming into his lone NCAA season he did what almost no player ever does, he actually exceeded the hype....

Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 22 days ago)

2,101 posts, read 586,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It's funny to read stuff like this and the OP about Zion....because it is so obvious that the person writing never watched more than 5 minutes of Zion playing basketball....

I'm guessing the only time you watched Zion was against MSU since the elbowing incident was literally the only time it happened all season...
You know what else is funny? Seeing a Duke fan making assumptions about people they don't know based off of 1 post in an anonymous internet forum.

I have watched far more than 1 game with Zion. In fact, I watched quite a few. All of the tournament games, and most of the big ones throughout the year. I also saw more than one of those "elbow incidents" (also note, I didn't just say elbow incidents, but qualified it with "hooking"). So how about you stop with your erroneous ASSumptions?

Quote:
The other nonsense about him "bull rushing" players on every drive??? Never happened....

He has incredible finesse around the basket which is why he had less than 1/2 of the offensive fouls called on him that Barrett did.
He had less fouls because they called less fouls on him, not because he actually committed less... Just looking at the last 4 games, probably half of his points in the paint came after pushing through someone or jumping into someone... That last play against UCF ring any bells for you? Are you sure YOU watched his games??? Cuz it certainly sounds like you didn't. Either that, or you are just a Duke homer who will defend and ignore whatever pleases you... Hey, I get it! We are Bama fans in my house, and we have fans that do the same thing in football.

Quote:
I don't expect Zion to be the next Lebron or MJ....but I will be shocked if he isn't a top 5 player in the NBA in short order.

He has physical attributes that you can't teach, unbelievable finisher around the rim and not just dunking....above average ball handler and passer and can literally guard anyone on the floor.....he will intimidate players taller than him due to his shot blocking ability. He is also quick enough to cover the quickest guards...he has no outside shot but neither does Simmons....hasn't seemed to limit his rise to stardom...
I never said he wouldn't be good in the NBA, just that I didn't think he would be talked about along with the greats.

Quote:
Guy is a joy to watch and whatever anyone else wants to say the point of this thread was already moot...

However "hyped" Zion was coming into his lone NCAA season he did what almost no player ever does, he actually exceeded the hype....
Yea, he's fun to watch, and lived up to the hype while he was on the court. Never said otherwise.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM

3,245 posts, read 579,095 times
Quote:

I heard ex-NBA player Marques Johnson, who used to be a TV analyst here back when we had the Sonics. He said exactly this, predicting that Zion would be more like Barkley due to his ability to finish. He did say that he worried about tendon/ligament issues due to Zion's weight.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Zion is on track to get one of the richest rookie shoe contracts in history (alongside LBJ and KD).

I totally get the hype, he's just a fun guy to watch in the way he's fearless and can pretty much play all positions on the court.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:17 PM

5,118 posts, read 1,821,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

He had less fouls because they called less fouls on him, not because he actually committed less... Just looking at the last 4 games, probably half of his points in the paint came after pushing through someone or jumping into someone... That last play against UCF ring any bells for you? Are you sure YOU watched his games??? Cuz it certainly sounds like you didn't. Either that, or you are just a Duke homer who will defend and ignore whatever pleases you... Hey, I

Tacko was in the restricted area. A foul there goes on the defense by rule, but you are welcome to try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball