Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times

Advertisements

There's a claim on letsrun that ZW ran a 4:55 mile in high school. Who knows how much he weighed then, but that would be quite impressive for a guy that size. Weight/bulk are disadvantages in distance running. 4:55 is a torrid pace, unless you are a pretty high level competitor.

Just saw an interview where Zion Williamson claimed to run a 4:55 mile in HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM

24,631 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I believe he is overrated because he can’t shoot consistently

In today’s NBA, you must be able to shoot all over the floor. Creating your own niche doesn’t make a difference if folks won’t let you dunk on them and rebound over them in the NBA

Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
ok
Now let me preface by saying this: I don't think Zion Williamson is a bad player. Not at all. By all accounts he's living up to the hype at Duke thus far. But I'm reading everywhere that NBA teams had better start tanking so that they can grab this guy in the draft where he's supposed to be either number 1 at best or a lottery pick at worst.

How is this even possible? He's 6'7, 285 lbs. He's an undersized power forward/center who thrives when playing physical on the inside. While he can make the outside jumper (sometimes) its not his strength at all. Bigger question, who exactly is he going to guard in the NBA??? At 6'7 he's way too small to bang with your typical NBA 4 or 5 (Think Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, etc, all 6'10 and taller. They would eat him for breakfast in the low post) but at 285 lbs he would be too slow to guard NBA small forwards on the perimeter.

The easy solution would be to say "well he just needs to lose weight". But the problem is that from what I've seen of him, his game is based on power not finesse, all power dunks and stuff inside. I think it would be harder for him to keep playing that type of game if he dropped down to 235 lbs which would actually be more in line with his height.

The other thing is I watched some of the Gonzaga game. I found it interesting that he wasn't the number one option at the end there. if he's not the clear top option on a college team, how is that going to happen when he's the number one pick playing with seasoned NBA players, all or most of whom would have more years seniority? The one thing that stood out about the great NBA stars who played college was that they stood head and shoulders above EVERYONE in college. Think Durant or Carmelo at Syracuse, even compared to other guys on their teams who would be good enough to play in the NBA, there was no question as to who was top dog. There is a serious question with Zion.

Then there's the weight thing. 285 lbs as a broke college teenager? say hello to weight problems once he starts making that NBA money. If you've watched the NBA long enough, plenty of players have eaten their way out of the NBA. I would be scared to death if I was an NBA exec.

Now do I think he would be a terrible NBA player? No. in the right situation, he could become a decent role player or maybe coming off the bench but lottery pick franchise player? no way.

Sad thing is, I can think of one sport in which he WOULD be a franchise type player...football! he's basically Gronkowski 2.0. Same size/height, only even more athletic than Gronk (with a 42 inch vertical). In football he would be a lottery pick, and when you remember that he isn't even the first basketball player to make the leap (see Antonio Gates) it's not out of the question for him. Like I said, in the NBA he would at best be a role player with a decent probability of being a bust. In the NFL he would be a superstar with a potentially HOF career ahead of him.
You think Zion will be a role player at best and likely a bust in the NBA????

I will be bookmarking this post to come back to when he is tearing up the NBA next season.

Zion is a freakish once in a lifetime athlete with no one that compares to him currently playing in the NBA or having ever played in the NBA...

At 6'7" 285 he is an inch shorter and 30 lbs heavier than Lebron....yet there is no where for him to play on the floor????

If you think his game is all playing "physical on the inside" you haven't watched him play...

If you think he is "slow" you haven't watched him play....

He moves better than any human at his size has a right to, insane quickness, great hands....

I've seen him play twice already in person at Duke and several times in person while he was playing in HS in Spartanburg....he is an absolute freak of nature

There is zero chance he flames out in the NBA....

Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

If nothing else, he could focus on defense and become a Dennis Rodman type. James Worthy said that Rodman was NBA all time top fifty, 'easily.' Rodman could not shoot either.

If it's true that ZW ran a 4:55 mile, that is some 'motor' he has. The one caveat is that he would have to find the right team, one where his scoring isn't needed. Rodman did that when he signed with the Bulls.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:38 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

If it's true that ZW ran a 4:55 mile, that is some 'motor' he has.
Zion claimed to run a 4:55 mile. There is no evidence of it. No gym teacher has come forward to back it up. Or results from a high school track race where they run the 1600 (NOT a mile.) No coach, friend or classmate has backed it up, etc.

Lots of people claim some incredible feats to make themselves look good. Just go into any bar tonight & ask someone how they were in sports. You'll be bored to death from all the made up stories.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
If nothing else, he could focus on defense and become a Dennis Rodman type. James Worthy said that Rodman was NBA all time top fifty, 'easily.' Rodman could not shoot either.

If it's true that ZW ran a 4:55 mile, that is some 'motor' he has. The one caveat is that he would have to find the right team, one where his scoring isn't needed. Rodman did that when he signed with the Bulls.
You don't think Zion can score???

Again, have you WATCHED him play.....even once????

There are scorers and shooters.....you don't neccessarily need to be a shooter to be a scorer....

Old 12-01-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You don't think Zion can score???

Again, have you WATCHED him play.....even once????

There are scorers and shooters.....you don't neccessarily need to be a shooter to be a scorer....
First, I didn't say that I "don't think Zion can score." What I intended was that he doesn't have to score to be a success in the NBA.

As one poster pointed out, right now he is like a man playing among boys. Let's see what happens when he goes to the NBA. You never know how that transition will go until it actually happens.

Plus in today's game, everything revolves around the 3 point shot. All four conference finals teams from last year had heavy emphasis on the 3 ball. The scorers who are not shooters are not of as much value as they used to be.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
The thing with Zion is that he COULD cut about 20 lbs of fat and still be a shredded 265 lbs ...imagine what that will do to a guy that’s already fast and already has a 40 inch vertical at 6’7. He will be an athletic specimen similar to Lebron...and since he’s 18 he will have a good 5 years to work on his shot and add even more strength in the weight room. If he can shoot 30% from 3 it’ll make opposing teams have to honor his shot.

Lebron only shot 29% from 3 his first year in the league.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
How is this even possible? He's 6'7, 285 lbs. He's an undersized power forward/center who thrives when playing physical on the inside. While he can make the outside jumper (sometimes) its not his strength at all. Bigger question, who exactly is he going to guard in the NBA??? At 6'7 he's way too small to bang with your typical NBA 4 or 5 (Think Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, etc, all 6'10 and taller. They would eat him for breakfast in the low post) but at 285 lbs he would be too slow to guard NBA small forwards on the perimeter.
I definitely wouldn't call him slow.
There are slower SFs and SGs in the NBA.
That is the incredible thing about Zion, he moves like a guy 50 pounds lighter, so he'll never have to lose weight.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:42 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread back up....

Will be fun to check back in as the college basketball season winds down prior to Zion being selected number 1 overall in the draft...

Over rated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball