U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The Hall Of Fame has several players inferior to Melo, so based on that, Melo is a lock.
I wish the Hall Of Fame had been more strict in the past.
In fact I wish they were extremely strict and that only 20 or so players had ever made it.

I know basketball isn't just about stats, but Melo's numbers are similar to Kobe's numbers.
Melo = 24.0ppg .449fg .347treys .811ft 6.5rpg 3.0apg 1.0spg 0.5bpg 2.7tpg
Kobe = 25.0ppg .447fg .329treys .837ft 5.2rpg 4.7apg 1.4spg 0.5bpg 3.0tpg
Bruh we're the same, wishing it was more difficult to make The Hall. I'd love for them to tighten the criteria at some point...

There are inferior players to Melo in The Hall, so yeah, he's in there...

There are some glaring differences with Melo and Kobe obviously, so I'll just name a few: Kobe is a 5-time champion, beat Melo head-to-head in the WCF, better leader, better overall player (though their offensive games were similar), and Kobe's prime was twice as long as Melo's. So Kobe is literally one of the worst comps you could give Melo lol...

Different positions, but better comps would be Wade or Iverson. Two guys better than Melo, but Melo is closer to their level, than to Kobe's, no question!

By the way, off topic, but I never thought Wade was on Kobe's level. I've heard analysts call Wade a Top 25 All-Timer and a Top 3 SG behind MJ and Kobe. Clearly a HOFer, not my complaint, but I think Top 25 is lofty and even at his best, I never thought I was watching one if the best ever. Another guy with a short prime (to me, if you were not a dominant player for a decade-plus, your prime was short). He was definitely Top 5 at his peak, but his peak was so short, and he was never as fearsome a player as Kobe. I never went into a Heat game feeling in my bones, man I'm afraid of what Wade might do...

This is his last year and we're all nostalgic, I just wish they'd lay off the "close to Kobe" comps!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 08:17 AM

5,430 posts, read 1,543,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Bruh we're the same, wishing it was more difficult to make The Hall. I'd love for them to tighten the criteria at some point...

There are inferior players to Melo in The Hall, so yeah, he's in there...

There are some glaring differences with Melo and Kobe obviously, so I'll just name a few: Kobe is a 5-time champion, beat Melo head-to-head in the WCF, better leader, better overall player (though their offensive games were similar), and Kobe's prime was twice as long as Melo's. So Kobe is literally one of the worst comps you could give Melo lol...

Different positions, but better comps would be Wade or Iverson. Two guys better than Melo, but Melo is closer to their level, than to Kobe's, no question!

By the way, off topic, but I never thought Wade was on Kobe's level. I've heard analysts call Wade a Top 25 All-Timer and a Top 3 SG behind MJ and Kobe. Clearly a HOFer, not my complaint, but I think Top 25 is lofty and even at his best, I never thought I was watching one if the best ever. Another guy with a short prime (to me, if you were not a dominant player for a decade-plus, your prime was short). He was definitely Top 5 at his peak, but his peak was so short, and he was never as fearsome a player as Kobe. I never went into a Heat game feeling in my bones, man I'm afraid of what Wade might do...

This is his last year and we're all nostalgic, I just wish they'd lay off the "close to Kobe" comps!
I never said Melo was close to Kobe, I said his "numbers are similar".
Numbers.
Not his play.
The point is, even though Melo is not even a superstar, let alone a Kobe-level superstar, his stats are so impressive that they are similar to some of the very best players ever to lace them up.
Most Hall Of Famers can't say that, and yet.....many of them only made it into the HOF with stats.
No chance of Melo missing out, unless the criteria has changed.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball