U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,640,288 times

Advertisements

What will the future look like? Superteams in NY, LA, SF, Boston and Maybe Philly - the rest of the league also rans. For example the NO Pelicans have a superstar in Anthony Davis who wants to play elsewhere for one of the aforementioned teams. Jimmy Butler didn't care for Minnesota, KD for Oklahoma, Paul George for Indiana (even though he would up in Oklahoma), Kyrie for Cleveland and on and on. With 100 million dollar contracts tossed around everywhere, what chance does a small market team have? None!!! Since there is no franchise tag a player spends maybe 4-5 years and then goes wherever he wants. There is no hard salary cap like the NFL either. His team has no options. They can get whatever another team wants to give but not the headliner that will soon depart. LeBron only played for Cleveland because of his history there and then off to the bright lights and warmer climate of LA. If you were being paid upwards of 100 million where would you want to play? Cleveland, Utah, San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Indianapolis, Washington, Orlando? Hardly. The NFL got it right with the salary cap and franchise tag. The NBA will have massive disparity forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:33 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Historically these were the cities with the best teams (sans the Cleveland, san Antonio, and Miami runs)

even the warriors had success in Philly before going to the bay

I hope it doesn't become to centralized but I am personally hopeful for another Sixers/Celtics thing when they are both really good

Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
Or will it be parity across the board like we are mostly seeing now? I hope the current parity we are seeing lasts. In the West seeds 1-7 are separated by a mere 2.5 games through about 22 games played. I would suspect we will see he warriors take over once Curry comes back. But even in the East it is the Raptors and bucks leading the standings rather than the star laden Sixers or Celtics.

I haven’t really been following he Durant saga but is he really going to leave Golden State? My guess would be that he stays.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
What will the future look like? Superteams in NY, LA, SF, Boston and Maybe Philly - the rest of the league also rans. For example the NO Pelicans have a superstar in Anthony Davis who wants to play elsewhere for one of the aforementioned teams. Jimmy Butler didn't care for Minnesota, KD for Oklahoma, Paul George for Indiana (even though he would up in Oklahoma), Kyrie for Cleveland and on and on. With 100 million dollar contracts tossed around everywhere, what chance does a small market team have? None!!! Since there is no franchise tag a player spends maybe 4-5 years and then goes wherever he wants. There is no hard salary cap like the NFL either. His team has no options. They can get whatever another team wants to give but not the headliner that will soon depart. LeBron only played for Cleveland because of his history there and then off to the bright lights and warmer climate of LA. If you were being paid upwards of 100 million where would you want to play? Cleveland, Utah, San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Indianapolis, Washington, Orlando? Hardly. The NFL got it right with the salary cap and franchise tag. The NBA will have massive disparity forever.

What's the timeframe?

There are a handful of franchises that won't have sustained runs of greatness because of terrible ownership: Cleveland, Dallas, both NY teams, Charlotte, Chicago, Houston.

The NBA is always driven by talent. But the draft provides opportunities: OKC (or Seattle, as it were), Cleveland, and Golden State all became great because they had the right picks at the right time (and in Cleveland's case, the right birthplace at the right time). Sustaining great teams depends on great management/ownership. I think San Antonio, Miami, Boston, and Toronto are in that boat. In the next 5 years, though, the future is Golden State, wherever KD & AD go, wherever Kawhi goes, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia.

With the right moves, Boston and the Lakers can join that group. Small markets can compete, but they have to manage well. San Antonio is a great example of that. They can also get lucky. Cleveland and Milwaukee are great examples of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Or will it be parity across the board like we are mostly seeing now? I hope the current parity we are seeing lasts. In the West seeds 1-7 are separated by a mere 2.5 games through about 22 games played. I would suspect we will see he warriors take over once Curry comes back. But even in the East it is the Raptors and bucks leading the standings rather than the star laden Sixers or Celtics.

I haven’t really been following he Durant saga but is he really going to leave Golden State? My guess would be that he stays.

We're not seeing parity right now. The West is currently the Warriors and then everyone else. The East is Toronto, Milwaukee, and maybe Philadelphia. As usual, 4 or 5 teams are legitimate contenders.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,416,173 times
I don’t think the NBA will ever be as bad as the MLB because of the soft cap and smaller rosters, but market size does play a role in sustainability especially where TV is concerned. The Knicks and Nets won’t nexessarily be good because they’re in New York, but Sacramento and Orlando will always be stunted.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 1,364,467 times
when legal gambling hits nationwide....the sky is the limit.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:11 PM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

I'm not sure GSW dominates when Curry returns. They will be very good but they don't seem to have the "magic" they once had. Curry missed the last third of last season and they missed him (allowed the red hot Rockets to win top seed) but still won their division. Who knows? Maybe he will perform miracles but the Curry-less Dubs of this year are a shadow of the Curry-less Dubs of last year.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don’t think the NBA will ever be as bad as the MLB because of the soft cap and smaller rosters, but market size does play a role in sustainability especially where TV is concerned. The Knicks and Nets won’t nexessarily be good because they’re in New York, but Sacramento and Orlando will always be stunted.
Sacramento may have gotten the right pick (Fox) at the right time. He's showing by far the largest sophomore leap from his rookie year, and looks like a future star. They are the third-youngest team in the NBA and by next year, we will have a clear picture on how this roster looks going forward, but building around that backcourt (Fox and Buddy) and continuing to draft well bodes well for their future. Bagley is playing better as a rookie than Fox did and if his trajectory is sustainable, we potentially have just hit on two cornerstones (backcourt/frontcourt) in back to back years...

All it takes is some sustained success to draw a big name in. Historically Sac hasn't been a draw but there was a period in the 90s and early 00s where Sac was a destination. I don't know where Fox's or Bagley's ceilings are, but he and Buddy are trending in the right direction at an accelerated pace. They keep that up, guys are gonna wanna play in Sacramento with Bagley and Fox. The future has been nowhere near this bright for the Kings in a long, long time...

Last edited by murksiderock; 12-05-2018 at 02:09 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not sure GSW dominates when Curry returns. They will be very good but they don't seem to have the "magic" they once had. Curry missed the last third of last season and they missed him (allowed the red hot Rockets to win top seed) but still won their division. Who knows? Maybe he will perform miracles but the Curry-less Dubs of this year are a shadow of the Curry-less Dubs of last year.

They're just missing Draymond, too. Missing the league's best and a top 10 player really hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or