Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:44 AM

10,747 posts, read 4,342,219 times

Advertisements

Philly are having their best stretch of the season, thanks to Jimmy Butler's arrival, and Simmons playing his best games of late.
But Embiid isn't happy-
Quote:
“I think it’s mainly because of the way I’ve been used, which is I’m being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch five," Embiid said, before adding that he's only shooting 29 percent from deep.

“Since the trade, it’s been really down,” Embiid continued. “I tend to get triple-teamed a lot. I was in the flow of the offense. I feel like I’m not any more. There’s not a lot of possessions on the block. I don’t know. We got to figure it out.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Yeah, I'm really liking Simmons and Butler. As for Embiid, I'd rather keep him, personally, but I can see why the adjustment has been difficult. If it came down to a trade, we really have to get something quite spectacular in return.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Damn Mag, you wanna get rid of Embiid? Sacramento would give you several young guys for him lol...

Nah, you keep Embiid, and work to fix this thing. Butler is a more dominant personality and player and he's eating into Embiid's usage, so it's an adjustment. You have to think Joel gets on board with this, it's too early to break up this core, and if and when that time comes, he ain't the guy I'd move!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Damn Mag, you wanna get rid of Embiid? Sacramento would give you several young guys for him lol...

Nah, you keep Embiid, and work to fix this thing. Butler is a more dominant personality and player and he's eating into Embiid's usage, so it's an adjustment. You have to think Joel gets on board with this, it's too early to break up this core, and if and when that time comes, he ain't the guy I'd move!
Embiid is too much of a crybaby to survive Butler, so I don't see it working.
And Butler is almost certain to sign long-term.
Time to leave the weak behind.
Embiid can get his stats elsewhere, while Philly win big.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Hahaha the Butler rot has begun.... Simmons will soon be sick of him as well.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Simmons and Butler smile at each other during games and wore matching headbands in a game.
Simmons wants to be the best defensive player in the NBA, so that helps.
Embiid was probably hoping they lost at Detroit, and he looked downcast on the bench.
They won 9 in a row without Embiid at the end of last season (the last 8 reg season games and the first playoff game), and almost 10 in a row because Embiid only played 8 minutes in the game of his injury.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 PM

311 posts, read 314,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Simmons and Butler smile at each other during games and wore matching headbands in a game.
Simmons wants to be the best defensive player in the NBA, so that helps.
Embiid was probably hoping they lost at Detroit, and he looked downcast on the bench.
They won 9 in a row without Embiid at the end of last season (the last 8 reg season games and the first playoff game), and almost 10 in a row because Embiid only played 8 minutes in the game of his injury.
Simmons is by far a weaker player than either Embiid or Butler, especially Embiid. Lay off the pipe.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 AM

Simmons and Butler are a match made in heaven, even with Embiid getting in the way.
Chemistry was never perfect with Simmons-Embiid either.
Obviously Simmons-Butler would like to play more up-tempo, but Embiid gets in the way of that.

If Embiid doesn't want to be part of this team, we can get a lot for Embiid in a trade.
Time to pull the trigger IF we know Butler is staying in Philly long-term.
And Embiid may be the only thing that could create doubts in Butler's mind, so let's put Embiid on the block and see what kind of offers are out there.

Embiid is a really good defensive center, but Philly's defense has been horrible this year.
Embiid is a really good offensive player, but he's attempting too many treys (for a guy that shot .308 last year, and .290 this year).
And he's playing soft, not posting up enough.
Embiid can use the excuse that he can't post up as much because Butler needs room to slash (which isn't true, because Butler is comfortable scoring on the perimeter too), but he wasn't posting up enough before Butler arrived either.
And when I say posting up I mean Embiid catching the ball in the post and doing whatever he wants (face-up and shoot or drive, doesn't have to be back-to-the-basket moves).

Statistically Embiid is really good, but his decision-making leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, I've noticed Embiid falls over a lot in the paint, maybe not strong enough in the lower-body, with lighter guys pushing him around.
He's a case of fool's gold, and I think there are plenty of fools out there willing to give Philly insane deals.

Last edited by MAGAalot; 12-10-2018 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
I'm not finding any Embiid trade talk online. Embiid might be a little off since the trade but no one should care much with November/December ball. Jimmy Butler had a meltdown after his T-Wolves were blitzed in the playoffs last year, but at least those were playoffs. If Philly is dumped out of the 2019 playoffs quickly or badly, then we can have this discussion.

I'd also tap the brakes thinking Embiid is the biggest problem of the 3. Butler has tantrummed his way out of his last 2 teams and Simmons still has some fundamental problems at the point that he hasn't sorted out yet.

If I were a Philly fan, I'd let it roll, enjoy the ride and not expect to make the finals this year. Getting impatient to get there before the ingredients are ready could blow a good thing up prematurely.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 AM

If Embiid continues to express displeasure at winning games with Butler then I don't expect Embiid to stay beyond his rookie contract.
And Embiid is still getting his cushy stats while playing with Butler, so its more an issue of Embiid being jealous of Butler's game-winning-shots and Simmons-Butler bonding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball