U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-09-2008, 05:36 AM

791 posts, read 2,110,061 times
Again, I'm in the corner of fouling (and I believe Memphis had a foul to give as well) before Kansas even can get a shot off, but you rarely see it, because there is the flip side. There is the matter of making the first free throw and missing the second, but getting the offensive rebound. Heck, did everyone forget how Memphis even had the opportunity to shoot five free throws in just six seconds just ten seconds earlier? Think missed free throw, offensive board. That isn't an overly rare scenario either. I think Calipari should have ordered a foul and more than anything if he did as he claims, he should have utilized the remaining timeout after Rose made the second free throw to make sure his team did just that. But it isn't the no-brainer some seem to think and the strategy only gets questioned when one can Monday Morning Quarterback the end result. Uconn didn't foul Duke and Trajan Langdon in the 99 title game's waning seconds with a 3-pt lead and it worked out fine for UConn. Did anyone on the face of the earth question Jim Calhoun in the aftermath that same strategy? Just food for thought and to play devil's advocate for a moment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM

3,525 posts, read 3,991,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What if they had fouled Chalmers and the shot went anyway? Would that not have counted AND gave Chalmers another free throw? That would have won the game instead of sending it to overtime. Or am I wrong on the rules?
If a player jumps and throws a 3 pointer AND is fouled AND the basket is hit anyway? Does he not get an extra free throw too?

You are correct but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying they should have fouled him way before that as Kansas was bringing the ball up before Chalmers's shot. Basically they should have fouled them before the act of taking a shot which would have only given them 2 free throws or maybe not because I think Memphis still did have one foul to give. It was just horrible coaching at the end by Memphis.

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 04-09-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,275,528 times
Is basketball the only sport that committing a foul allows you to win a game? If so, that should be changed .

Take baseball---they instituted the "infield fly rule" so you can not commit an error intentionally and benefit from it.

Football instituted a rule that a game can not end on a penalty.

fouls, errors, penalties--------different terms for different sports-------only basketball has failed to close the "loopholes" that allow teams to gain an advantage by committing them.

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:41 AM

791 posts, read 2,110,061 times
I've heard proposals thru the years to fix the fouling issue. But only one thing and one thing only needs to be done which would help immensely and not extend games quite so much: enforce the intentional foul rule, period. The NCAA experimented with this enforcement in some of the early season touunaments about 3/4 years ago I recall. It worked well. LEGITIMATE attempts at a play on the ball were not intentional fouls otherwise, they were called- no more of this nonsense of reaching aross a dribblers body, grabbing, mugging, etc... I have no earthly clue why the NCAA didn't stick with it. I see no reason for proposals such as two shots and the ball when that is already what constitutes the result of an intentional foul and you simply need to enforce the rules on the book. I have no problem with fouling, as free throws are part of the game and maybe if players worked on their fundamantals a little more these days (as evidenced by the butt-kicking the USA has been receiving in recent years in international competitions), this issue would be moot and there wouldn't be this problem of teams losing leads due to missed free throws. I have no problem with a "unintentional" foul so long as there is a legitimate attempt at a play on the ball, which for too long has not been enforced. If you mold the game in a manner that takes this into account, it will take longer to create a foul, hence less free throws and quicker endings to games. Players will have no choice but to adjust, otherwise it will be fruitless to expect to stage a comeback when its two shots plus the ball.

In terms of being an avenue to create an advantage, oh well- that is the nature of the game- football can be argued as such loop holes- some might argue that the on-side kick is a silly rule that is nothing more than presented in its parameters to try and give the losing teams one last desperate attempt to seize victory out of imminent defeat, and correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the NBA still have that utterly ridiculous rule of allowing a team at the end of games after a made shot to in-bound the ball at mid-court?....I know what maremac is trying to say- committing a penalty to save yourselves- as opposed to questionable rules I just mentioned. But my point is that every game is different and there are loop holes which are nothing more than blatant attempts to keep the fan tuned in for the sake of holding out for one desperate miracle due to some quirk that shouldn't comprise an advantage for one team. Again though in college basketball and all levels of hoops, there really isn't the same sort of inherent disadvantage...just make the free throws!

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 04-09-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,275,528 times
I agree with your idea of just enforcing the intentional fouls. ( whether it be against Kansas or Memphis)

All sports evolve. I hated stalling as a means of winning a game, yet many people applauded North Carolina using the 4-corner offense to stall out the last 4 minutes of the games they were leading in. I hated it ( and did not view it as skillfull basketball )

Finally-------after enough people got disgusted with that part of basketball-----the rules committee instituted the shot clock.

It was about time !

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM

14,252 posts, read 10,907,664 times
I also believe that the NCAA should limit each team to only a couple of hundred timeouts per half.

Unread 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM

401 posts, read 1,567,549 times
Mario Chalmers is awesome!!!

Unread 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM

12 posts, read 20,051 times
I was hopeing that Kansas beat Memphis because everyone was saying that Memphis would win

Unread 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM

43 posts, read 93,743 times
Default Birth of the Jayhawks

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven , God was missing for six days.

Eventually, Michael the Archangel found Him, resting, on the seventh day.

He inquired of God, 'Where have you been?'

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards
through the clouds, 'Look Michael, look what I've made!'

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, 'What is it?'

'It's a planet,' replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to
call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance.'

'Balance?' inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. 'For example,
Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth,
while southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there
will be a hot spot. And over there I've placed a continent of white
people, while over here is a continent of black people.'

God continued, pointing to different countries.

'This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very
cold and covered in ice.'

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to an area of
rolling hills and prairie on a large land mass and said, 'What's that
beautiful garden spot there?'

'Ah,' said God. 'That's Kansas , the most glorious place on earth.
There are beautiful lakes, rivers, sunrises, sunsets, rolling hills,
open prairie, oceans of waving wheat, small water falls, monumental
rock formations, abundant wildlife, pure white snow in the winter,
white fluffy clouds, blue skies year-round, and a place where a
person can see millions of stars in the sky at night.'

God continued, 'I will call the people from Kansas Jayhawks, and they
will be modest, intelligent and humorous and they are going to be
found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hard
working and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the
world as diplomats and carriers of peace. They will be great athletes
and awesome champions in football and basketball.'

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, 'What
about balance, God? You said there would be balance!'

God replied wisely, 'Wait until you see the idiots I'm putting next
to them in Missouri.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball