U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:34 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times

Advertisements

When he wins by 30 he loves to stop to chat with the losing coach and then go down the line with handshakes and a tap on the shoulder of the players. Lip reading gives "good job." Good job? You just beat them by 30. Then when he loses forget the chatting. His good friend who coaches Syracuse only got a very quick handshake after Duke lost to them. Last night down 23 with 10 minutes left they beat Louisville. Again a stop to chat with the Louisville coach.
Poor loser it seems and everyone wants to win but when you are a multi millionaire and one of the top programs in the country why not a few words with Boeheim / the coach of the team that just beat you?
Good job when you beat somebody badly is an insult.
Now they play at Syracuse on the 23rd. I am very confident Duke wins. If so Jim should reject any chit chat after the game and give MK the same cry baby shake he got in Durham.

Duke is clearly a final 8 or top 4 team. Add in Gonzaga, Tennessee, Virginia, Nevada, Houston and many others and it should be a very good tournament this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM

5,117 posts, read 1,820,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Now they play at Syracuse on the 23rd. I am very confident Duke wins. If so Jim should reject any chit chat after the game and give MK the same cry baby shake he got in Durham.

you sound mad, Ive been looking forward to that rematch with Syracuse where they have to play the Duke starters instead of mostly the bench--the outcome is likely going to be different than it was in Durham.

K compliments the other team like crazy in his post conf press like any good sportsman does.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
you sound mad, Ive been looking forward to that rematch with Syracuse where they have to play the Duke starters instead of mostly the bench--the outcome is likely going to be different than it was in Durham.

K compliments the other team like crazy in his post conf press like any good sportsman does.
I listened to his post Syracuse press conference. Sour grapes saying he had no plans on how to play the game due to missing two starters.

He and Boeheim are good friends. He was not very friendly after the Syracuse loss. I watched it. He could have smiled and said something brief like "we played as well as we could today" etc. It was a very poor loser hand shake and move on. I think Cal did the same thing last night at Ky.

They win so many games year in and year out they get to a point where "so and so" is never supposed to beat us.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Shaking hands after a loss is the only requirement for sportsmanship. What do you want? Coach K to offer him a shoulder rub and see if the guy wants something from the vending machine while he's up?

The idea that he should be out chatting it up and if not it's a poor loser is ridiculous. (and I don't like Duke, this goes for anybody)

After a bad loss and with high expectations and clearly underperforming he's likely in a foul mood and is more interested in addressing his team which is entirely understandable.

Regardless, you shake hands...that's it.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Fine if that is the way he wants to do it. "Good job' to kids that got the h--- beat out of them and casual handshakes when he gets beat. Very poor.
Watch games he wins and see the chit chat after the game. It's there every game it seems.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM

5,117 posts, read 1,820,581 times
Quote:

He and Boeheim are good friends. He was not very friendly after the Syracuse loss. I watched it. He could have smiled and said something brief like "we played as well as we could today" etc. It was a very poor loser hand shake and move on. I think Cal did the same thing last night at Ky.
you are the one that sounds salty about this, not Mr Boeheim... in fact you sound more salty than Jalen Rose does for not being recruited by Duke.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

Probably, but that is why they play the game...

Old 02-16-2019, 10:38 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,044,361 times
Quote:
Fine if that is the way he wants to do it. "Good job' to kids that got the h--- beat out of them and casual handshakes when he gets beat. Very poor.
Watch games he wins and see the chit chat after the game. It's there every game it seems.
Willing to bet dollars to donuts I've watched about a thousand more Duke games than you including many inside the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor and what you have just described is a fantasy or more likely an example of confirmation bias....seeing what you want to see....

NO coach likes to lose and for most who haven't been as successful as Coach K their jobs are on the line with every loss.

You don't get to as many wins as Coach K or have the longevity he has had without being ultra competitive...of course he hates to lose, if he didn't he would be in a different line of work...

That being said, as few times as Duke typically loses each season I have never seen what you describe....the handshake line happens every game and takes about the same amount of time...win or lose.

The losing coach doesn't want to be "chatted up" anymore than coach K wants to "chat up" his opponent if the other coach just beat HIM....

That being said there are coaches and players who are "just happy to be there" that don't really stand a prayer of beating Duke and I have seen Coach K go out of his way to be encouraging after a Duke win.....not sure how that could be considered classless.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,191,970 times
Quote:
When he wins by 30 he loves to stop to chat with the losing coach and then go down the line with handshakes and a tap on the shoulder of the players. Lip reading gives "good job." Good job? You just beat them by 30. Then when he loses forget the chatting. His good friend who coaches Syracuse only got a very quick handshake after Duke lost to them. Last night down 23 with 10 minutes left they beat Louisville. Again a stop to chat with the Louisville coach.
Poor loser it seems and everyone wants to win but when you are a multi millionaire and one of the top programs in the country why not a few words with Boeheim / the coach of the team that just beat you?
Good job when you beat somebody badly is an insult.

Duke is clearly a final 8 or top 4 team. Add in Gonzaga, Tennessee, Virginia, Nevada, Houston and many others and it should be a very good tournament this year.

I noticed the same thing. He's an angry little troll. At least he looks like a troll. He shows no class whatsoever. It's not hard to win when you get all the recruits. Let's see what Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon (don't like him but he's a good coach), and Tony Bennett can do with all that talent. I can't stand him anymore. I can't stand Dickie V either and his nauseating love fest with coach K. Dickie V is slurping Coach K like nothing I have ever seen. Head lick, head lick, head lick. I think he's secretly in love with him. Both of them can go jump off a bridge. Coach K is supposed to be Boheims boy, but when Syracuse beat him, he barely looked at Boheim, rotten little troll. Yes I bleed Orange!

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-17-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 AM

5,428 posts, read 1,542,035 times
Coach K needs to be taken down a peg or two or fifty, no doubt about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball