Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
This is a step backwards for the Rockets. Westbrook has proven over and over again that he is an overrated stat chaser. He is not a good shooter. He takes horrible shot at crucial times late in games and turns the ball over too much. Triple Doubles are meaningless when a team suffers from the accumulation of stats. We hear about elite players that are 40-50-90 (40% 3's, 50% from the field and 90% Free Throws). In 2018-19, Westbrook was 29%, 42.8% and 65.3%. His numbers are getting worse as his career progresses. With the Western Conference getting stronger, the Rockets will be lucky to get higher than a 6 or 7 seed. Westbrook needs a coach that will reel him in and get him to play more disciplined. Mike D'Antoni is exactly the opposite of the type of coaching Westbrook needs.
I've seen arguments from analytics that Westbrook is not a stat-chaser. For example, the guy pointed out that his production tends to go way up in crunch time in close games. A stat chaser wouldn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 04:58 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
This was a dumb decision. Two guys that do the same thing. God, I'd hate to be any other guy on this team. Good luck ever seeing that ball. Bad, bad move.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 PM

I see little depth on the Rocket's roster after Harden, Westbrook, Tucker, Capela, and Gordon. A lot of them are guys I've never heard of. It's tough to win these days with no bench.
https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster...ouston-rockets

Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM

758 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I've seen arguments from analytics that Westbrook is not a stat-chaser. For example, the guy pointed out that his production tends to go way up in crunch time in close games. A stat chaser wouldn't do that.
Guess you didn't watch the video. The narrator gives the example of 1 game where Westbrook, who is chasing a second year averaging a triple-double, has much lower rebound #s. The reason? He was locked in defending Harden in a must-win game to make the playoffs. The examples start at the 3 minute mark.

A stat chaser can change their approach in some moments. It does not make them any less a stat-chaser.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 PM

45,543 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I see little depth on the Rocket's roster after Harden, Westbrook, Tucker, Capela, and Gordon. A lot of them are guys I've never heard of. It's tough to win these days with no bench.
https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster...ouston-rockets
Austin Rivers - solid

Gerald Green - fits his role - plays when he is hot, sits when he is not

Danuel House - young and learning, but productive

Chandler - will see what's left in the tank

I believe Faried is still there

It's not terrible...

Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 PM

14,674 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrolyfe View Post
Its not a basketball trade. Its a swapping of huge contracts with players they need to get rid of trade. Now its up to Russ and Harden themselves to adapt and execute.
Exactly. Houston had to move Paul and his laughable contract because he and Harden couldn't co-exist another season, and got the best possible player in return. I don't think this trade makes Houston better on the court, but it does solve their major problem of the offseason. And if OKC can move Paul to Miami or....anywhere, they end up a winner too.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:37 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Exactly. Houston had to move Paul and his laughable contract because he and Harden couldn't co-exist another season, and got the best possible player in return. I don't think this trade makes Houston better on the court, but it does solve their major problem of the offseason. And if OKC can move Paul to Miami or....anywhere, they end up a winner too.
On the court, they're better defensively and rebounding is improved but they are going to be less efficient on offense changing out those 2 guys. They knew they wouldn't stand pat with the Clippers and lakers surpassing them in the off season so they had to take a risk....any you're also right that they had to unload the worst contract in the NBA.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
True and I'm especially shocked that the Thunder took on Paul's contract. They apparently want to trade him before next season starts.

As a former college basketball player, I know that talented players can adapt their game to fit into a system which Russ will need to do....I think he is capable of it but he'll need to develop a better spot up 3 shot.
I think the Thunder after getting rid of Paul George knew that they weren’t going to be able to compete past the first round of the playoffs, if they were lucky. They probably figured this was their best chance to get Westbrook’s contract off the books and starting a painful rebuilding process expeditiously.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Austin Rivers - solid

Gerald Green - fits his role - plays when he is hot, sits when he is not

Danuel House - young and learning, but productive

Chandler - will see what's left in the tank

I believe Faried is still there

It's not terrible...
OK, thanks for that info. In their favor the other West super teams also do not have good bench depth.

I still say the Rockets success depends on whether Harden and Westbrook can refrain from chucking so much. Tough to win when your two high-scoring chuckers shoot below NBA league-wide average pct. It's also tough on team chemistry.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
... They knew they wouldn't stand pat with the Clippers and lakers surpassing them in the off season so they had to take a risk....any you're also right that they had to unload the worst contract in the NBA.
Yes, I think this was kind of a desperation move for the Rockets. They knew they were dead in the water without changing something, so they rolled the dice and brought in Westbrook. It probably won't work, but the alternative for sure would not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball