U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM

736 posts, read 1,739,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
You know what? I just found out why I don't like the Pissies, I mean Pistons. These guys feel they are God's team and the Palace is holy ground and to actually show up to compete with them is blasphemy. I bet during warmups Chauncy (stupid name) is like "Rasheed do you see them?" and Sheed is like "I can't believe the audacity of these fools." Mark it down, they will fail to make the Eastern Conference Finals, again.
Please provide an actual basis for this comment or fall in the category of 'another ignorant hillbilly'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM

6,091 posts, read 5,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Cetics and Hawks series: tied 2-2

............WHAT ?!?! This was unexpected.... the Hawks actually looked like an NBA team the past two games.

And I'm sorry to break it to ya Canes', but the Mavs are done. I don't know how long you've been a Mavs fan, but people in DFW are pretty much used to the Mavericks choking up in the playoffs every year, by now. It's kind of funny knowing that the Stars not only have a championship (which is something the Mavs DON'T have) but it seem to me that the Stars have more fan support... and Texas isn't even supposed to be a hockey state, remember?

That's why Fort Worth needs its own NBA team..... (just kidding Dallasites... a little)
Well I became a Maverick fan the year after the Charlotte Hornets left for New Orleans, I liked their uniforms and logo, and I liked the way they play ball, now Im not a die-hard fan, but Im more of a fan now than I was in 2003, my fan level increased during the 2006 series against San Antonio, when the mavericks about blew a 3-1 series lead. I was very impressed with the way they won game 7, on the road, against the defending NBA champs, they stuck together, and defined "Team and togetherness" in my book. I really wasnt that upset that they lost to miami or golden state until this past summer, I know that seems weird but I was more focused on my hockey team then, whom i might add won in 2006, so i really didnt pay much attention to the finals, and when the canes were knocked out last year, i was still too mad to care about the nba playoffs last year. Now, that my hockey team has at least won a title, and with my interest in the NBA again, I'd like to see them a title.

Im starting to wonder though, if their time has passed them, i know alot of people who just watch the nba just because they love basketball who thought the Mavericks were robbed in the finals, well, if anything, Dallas should have won, but they couldnt find a way to stop Wade, period. Now i do have some suspicsions that the Heat were helped because of the whole betting scandel last year, but in all honesty, they let that series go. And now with the west so strong, and Dallas playing in such a strong division, its only going to make a return trip to the finals alot harder, and Nowitzki is in his prime and time is starting to run short.

As far as choking, I dont at all consider last years firts-round exit an upset at all, yes the Mavs had the best record in the league but if you remember, Golden State swept the Mavs in the regular season series, so if there was one team who could knock them out in the first round, Golden state was the team. Also, the warriors coach, Don nelson is a recent former Dallas coach, so he knew their style and weaknessess.

In the "grade your team" thread, I think i gave the management a little too much credit. Granted, were better than we were 10 years ago, and mark cuban is a smart man, but he seems to spoil his players too much. I also think he should have kept Steve Nash around. It kind of bothers me that we are the third most valuable franchise in the NBA, yet we have just been to the finals once.

As far as fan support, i went to Dallas over the christmas season and remember watching Stars and Mavs games in Dallas, didnt attend but saw on tv, both were sellouts, or close to it, but it did seem like the stars fans had more enthuisam, they were there to watch the game and cheer for their team, wheras the Mavs fans it seemed like were there to just be there. This can be said about most NBA fans these days anyway.

As far as Fort Worth getting a franchise, well, anything's possible, but good luck.

Hope i didnt bore anyone reading this. Go Mavericks!!!!!!!

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 04-29-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,718,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Well I became a Maverick fan the year after the Charlotte Hornets left for New Orleans, I liked their uniforms and logo, and I liked the way they play ball, now Im not a die-hard fan, but Im more of a fan now than I was in 2003, my fan level increased during the 2006 series against San Antonio, when the mavericks about blew a 3-1 series lead. I was very impressed with the way they won game 7, on the road, against the defending NBA champs, they stuck together, and defined "Team and togetherness" in my book. I really wasnt that upset that they lost to miami or golden state until this past summer, I know that seems weird but I was more focused on my hockey team then, whom i might add won in 2006, so i really didnt pay much attention to the finals, and when the canes were knocked out last year, i was still too mad to care about the nba playoffs last year. Now, that my hockey team has at least won a title, and with my interest in the NBA again, I'd like to see them a title.

Im starting to wonder though, if their time has passed them, i know alot of people who just watch the nba just because they love basketball who thought the Mavericks were robbed in the finals, well, if anything, Dallas should have won, but they couldnt find a way to stop Wade, period. Now i do have some suspicsions that the Heat were helped because of the whole betting scandel last year, but in all honesty, they let that series go. And now with the west so strong, and Dallas playing in such a strong division, its only going to make a return trip to the finals alot harder, and Nowitzki is in his prime and time is starting to run short.

As far as choking, I dont at all consider last years firts-round exit an upset at all, yes the Mavs had the best record in the league but if you remember, Golden State swept the Mavs in the regular season series, so if there was one team who could knock them out in the first round, Golden state was the team. Also, the warriors coach, Don nelson is a recent former Dallas coach, so he knew their style and weaknessess.

In the "grade your team" thread, I think i gave the management a little too much credit. Granted, were better than we were 10 years ago, and mark cuban is a smart man, but he seems to spoil his players too much. I also think he should have kept Steve Nash around. It kind of bothers me that we are the third most valuable franchise in the NBA, yet we have just been to the finals once.

As far as fan support, i went to Dallas over the christmas season and remember watching Stars and Mavs games in Dallas, didnt attend but saw on tv, both were sellouts, or close to it, but it did seem like the stars fans had more enthuisam, they were there to watch the game and cheer for their team, wheras the Mavs fans it seemed like were there to just be there. This can be said about most NBA fans these days anyway.

As far as Fort Worth getting a franchise, well, anything's possible, but good luck.

That's because they were not allowed to breathe on Wade, or even look at him. I'm not a fan of either the Heat or the Mavs, but that last play just defined the whole series. He didn't get TOUCHED and they called a foul. t really annoyed me!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,404,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Please provide an actual basis for this comment or fall in the category of 'another ignorant hillbilly'.
Did you feel that? That was my last post going over your head. Calm down, it was all in jest with some truth thrown in. Stop being so blind and naive, the Pistons will not go far. Last year the Pistons were better than they are this year and they choked against a bad Cleveland team. I don't really hate the Pistons but I would bet against them because they always play down to their competition, always. The Pistons don't play to their full potential all the time and when they do it's usually because their backs are against the wall. The Pistons are a veteran team but you wouldn't know it because they underestimate their opponents;you can only come back so many times before the door close. It's funny that I know more about your team's character than you do. Teams who feel that they can just "flip the switch" are the ones who will literally be flipping a switch on their XM radio at home. I must thank you for pointing out that my hometown is located in the hills, you've taught me something today. Sorry Piston fan for hurting your feeling, please don't put me in the 'another ignorant hillbilly' catergory because you're so much better at that than I am. Are you ready to talk playoffs now?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,457,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
What's up with boston? This was supposed to be the team to beat going into this year and the series is tied with Atlanta?!! Are you kidding me? Great game to watch though, one could sense that Atlanta wanted it more. I'm rooting for the upset, even though it would kill David Stern.
one could sense that the refs made some serious money

but whatever, let's just see how they do in boston

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,404,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
one could sense that the refs made some serious money

but whatever, let's just see how they do in boston
Are they going to suspend K.G. for pushing the ref?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
JJG

10,651 posts, read 10,216,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Yeah, I think the Mavericks haven't got past that 2006 championship series loss. THe hangover continues....
Anyway, I still think the Mavs won't make it, but if they can somehow win this game tonight, I'll give 'em the benefit of a doubt. But they just look dead to me. ANd the fans can't stand it either, since Mark got booed the other night....

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

455 posts, read 826,564 times
Default Lakers....On to sweeping the next team in line.

So....Will the Lakers sweep the next team in line ?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,457,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Are they going to suspend K.G. for pushing the ref?
Not sure yet. Perkins might get suspended too, and someone on ATL I forget who because they got up from the bench which is usually automatic suspension.

I didn't even see KG push the ref. I seemed like he calmed down after the initial shoulder but I'm sure we'll get the replay plenty.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM

8,188 posts, read 13,323,867 times
Ummm. No.

They just beat the Nuggets. They need not get a big head over that! They need come back down to reality and realize that the rest of the teams in the NBA Playoffs are professionals playing TEAMWORK.

Granted, the Lakers maybe very good right now...they need to take these games one game at a time. New Orleans, San Antonio, and Utah are looking to go 4-1. They will be pretty well rested if they do and they ain't gonna implode like the Nuggets just did.

We'll see. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball