U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good or bad for Dallas?
Good move 2 18.18%
Bad move 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 AM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times

Advertisements

Well the Mavericks let go of Avery Johnson today, just two years after taking the team to the finals and last years 67 win season. Yet Dallas blew a 2-0 lead in that finals and lost in the first round last year and this year. I think letting him go though, is a mistake. Agree or Disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,372,212 times
I think it was a good move, if only because two straight years of losing in the first round is unacceptable. Personally, if I owned the team (which I do), I would have kept him for one more year, but might as well try another approach. I would like to see Larry Brown coach this team instead of trying to overachieve with a subpar team.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,785,023 times
I don't like the move. He's not the problem, this team is just aging, they are nearing the end of their championship caliber cycle. Phoenix is as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
^^^ Right. It's not all Avery's fault. It's the whole team that needs fixin'.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 AM

468 posts, read 1,516,075 times
Can't give a definite answer.

Personally, if I were the owner, there would be no way in HELL I'd let Avery Johnson go. I thought the move to get Kidd was absolutely ridiculous (much respect for Kidd, but Devin is gonna be awesome eventually, and the first ten games against winning teams, they were 0-10 with him), and even Avery didn't want him. But he made him work into the system, and even when Dirk went down, they worked decently as a team. Kidd and Terry in the back court is a solid tandem, Howard and Dirk in the two forward spots is sick, and the only thing they need is a solid Center. I have absolutely no problems with the team, and if they also get a deeper bench (Bass, JJB are ok, but not great), they will be solid, solid, solid.

However, it's not my team. It's Mark Cuban's. Part of what makes him so wacky is his eccentricity, from running down towards the court during a TO, to, well, firing Johnson even though he's led them to three straight playoff appearances. He wants to win now - he orchestrated that Kidd trade even if the coach didn't want him, and he made him work with it. He doesn't want gratification later - he's all about now! And if that's the case, he really might need to look elsewhere for a well-established coach who's been to the playoffs numerous times and has had success. I would've thought Larry Brown would've been an option, but the Bobcats snapped him up already.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,540,214 times
I agree with the sentiments that it was a bad move. Avery is a very good coach, and got the most out of what he had. It's the players who should've gotten more scrutiny before this move.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:02 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,637,968 times
Well it is much easier and cheaper to get rid of a coach, than a bunch of players. I don't know if its the best move or not, but something needs to change. I wouldn't be suprised to see roster moves by Dallas also.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM

734 posts, read 2,364,583 times
Horrible...

Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM

152 posts, read 488,982 times
Avery is a rare talent, a very successful young coach, with a promising future in front of him. Before firing Avery, Cuban should have given the team another year to mesh... Kidd needs more time to get used to the system, and the team needs more time to get used to Kidd. Now with Avery gone, the work is left unfinished.

On the other hand, basketball is more a players' game than a coach's game. Maybe
coaches are overestimated. Maybe changing coach won't affect the team a great deal. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball