Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times

Advertisements

I'm just a casual follower of the NBA.

I came here to ask you folks b/c you know much more than me.

I remember in the 90s defensive players were allowed to "check" an offensive player who had the ball.

Cannot now and I know some rules have changed.

Patrick Ewing and others would go into the paint and physically bang up the bored.

Today's game has so many 3-point attempts.

I was watching the Phoenix-Denver game and each team had taken 30 three-point shots with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

You folks with the knowledge, please tell me your opinion.

What do you think of today's game with all of the 3-point attempts and they way the game is played in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Curry changed the game in showing how valuable reliable 3-point shooting can be, but it only works if you have shooters who are just as reliable outside the arc as inside it. Like a team getting a rebound and player with a fast-break opportunity against no defenders stopping at the three line instead of going for the no-risk two points would’ve been unheard of in the past, it’s seen as a good play for a Kyrie Irving or Klay Thompson.
But you’re correct in that the flip side of that is teams who live and die by the three usually dying from it when their shooters go cold (like Houston that year they bricked like 30 straight against the Warriors in the playoffs). I do think too many teams are jumping on the 3-pt bandwagon thinking they need it in today’s game when they could be taking a different approach. It’s tough to give up the floor spacing and unpredictability a viable 3-pt threat offers an offense, though.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:28 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Blame Curry and Harden. 3 points worth more than 2 points but it's getting a bit out of hand at ALL levels of basketball all the way down to high school and middle school. I coach girls high school varsity and high school AAU (9th grade & a combo 10/11 grade team) and literally half of the shots in the game are 3 pointers including breakaways when they'll pull up for a 3. Shoots you out of the game if you can't make them, but can get you right back in the game if you start making them, so it's a double edge sword. Both our high school & AAU teams are small, so we are a "bombs away" group.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Curry changed the game in showing how valuable reliable 3-point shooting can be, but it only works if you have shooters who are just as reliable outside the arc as inside it. Like a team getting a rebound and player with a fast-break opportunity against no defenders stopping at the three line instead of going for the no-risk two points would’ve been unheard of in the past, it’s seen as a good play for a Kyrie Irving or Klay Thompson.
But you’re correct in that the flip side of that is teams who live and die by the three usually dying from it when their shooters go cold (like Houston that year they bricked like 30 straight against the Warriors in the playoffs). I do think too many teams are jumping on the 3-pt bandwagon thinking they need it in today’s game when they could be taking a different approach. It’s tough to give up the floor spacing and unpredictability a viable 3-pt threat offers an offense, though.
Thanks, Natural

I've heard that the league is discussion....seriously?.....a 4 point line.

?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Blame Curry and Harden. 3 points worth more than 2 points but it's getting a bit out of hand at ALL levels of basketball all the way down to high school and middle school. I coach girls high school varsity and high school AAU (9th grade & a combo 10/11 grade team) and literally half of the shots in the game are 3 pointers including breakaways when they'll pull up for a 3. Shoots you out of the game if you can't make them, but can get you right back in the game if you start making them, so it's a double edge sword. Both our high school & AAU teams are small, so we are a "bombs away" group.
It's worked it's way down.

Cheers, 7E.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
I would love to have a half-court 5 pt shot. I also love to have a 3pt dunk based on how strong you hammer the rim (sensor will trigger for 3 pt).

Old 06-08-2021, 12:08 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Thanks, Natural

I've heard that the league is discussion....seriously?.....a 4 point line.

?

I think the Harlem Globetrotters have that. The NBA could push the 3 point line back and force teams to shoot more 2's. But I suppose they will only do that if ratings go down and its because of too many threes.

The thing that bothers me is defenders with their hands too close to the shooter and the shooter swings their arms around and gets a foul called against the defender.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:15 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I'm just a casual follower of the NBA.

I came here to ask you folks b/c you know much more than me.

I remember in the 90s defensive players were allowed to "check" an offensive player who had the ball.

Cannot now and I know some rules have changed.

Patrick Ewing and others would go into the paint and physically bang up the bored.

Today's game has so many 3-point attempts.

I was watching the Phoenix-Denver game and each team had taken 30 three-point shots with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

You folks with the knowledge, please tell me your opinion.

What do you think of today's game with all of the 3-point attempts and they way the game is played in general?
There will be people like you complaining no matter what.

In the 90s, people complained about "thugs" and enforcers like Mason, Oakley, P.J. Brown, etc. The more "physical" and "athletic" NBA player was constantly being compared to the more "skilled" players of the European leagues. The comparisons became even more pronounced in the 00s when the USA suffered the occasional loss in international competition.

Now virtually 99% of NBA players are "skilled" in the mold of the prototypical European player. A guy like Blake Griffin can step back and hit 33% of his shots from deep on decent volume, which would have been unthinkable for Karl Malone or Shawn Kemp. But now that NBA bigs are shooting the 3 ball like Dirk and Sabonis, people are now clamoring for them to clog up the paint again.

So the game will be boring to someone no matter what the style of play is.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There will be people like you complaining no matter what.
Other people maybe, but they are not like me.

This is my only comment.....about the 3s.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:45 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Other people maybe, but they are not like me.

This is my only comment.....about the 3s.
You would love the Jazz Clippers series where players had been constantly attacking the basket. You have 3 superstars who likes slashing to the basket and these 3 have ball majority of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball