Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was would you take in their prime?
Magic 15 62.50%
Lebron 10 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 01:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The title of the thread asks the question: In their prime, who would you rather have on your favorite team> Lebron James or Magic Johnson?

This not a bask Lebron thread. I like him a lot. He's great to watch to play especially when he is on. But I woud take Magic on my team before picking Lebron. Magic made the people around him better. He was great at getting others the ball. Lebron can be great at the same thing, but I just feel that Magic was better. Plus, he added flair to his game.

Out of the two, who do you have?
^ The bolded. Teams win championships, not individuals.

That said - it also depends on who else is on the team.... it may be a situation where Lebron's skills are a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 10:59 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Thanks for the replies, too. I enjoy watching Lebron play. It's odd seeing him in a Lakers uniform and of course the last to seasons did not go well. My favorite things about Magic was his passing was out of this world. almost an eloquent smile. I loved when those passes went o James Worthy, the ex-Tarheel. Lebron has shades of Magic. I feel like he may know basketball in and out, but you rarely see joy on his face. I don't know. Both of them are great. I'd still go with Maic

Old 04-15-2022, 01:15 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I voted for Magic because he could make any player better. LeBron is harder to build around, lots of good players have not played well with LeBron. But is LeBron greater overall? I think so.

But choosing the best NBA players in history is so hard. For instance, Jordan edges out Kobe Bryant but they were similar players. Meanwhile, Magic Johnson was much better than Kobe in several ways, especially as a leader. So was Magic better than Jordan in his prime? Who knows.

It comes down to favorites. I tend to not honor championships as much as others do. No way Bill Russell was better than Shaq, Hakeem, and Kareem, doesn't even pass the eye test. Russell was about as good as Ben Wallace.
No offense to Magic but almost nobody is going to put him above Jordan with both in their primes.

1991 NBA Finals: Bulls Defeat Lakers 4-1

Jordan: 31.2pts, 56% FG, 6.6 rebs and 11.4 assists per game (and 2.8 steals)

Magic: 18.6, 43% FG, 8 rebs, 12.4 assists (and 1.2 steals)

Especially note the FG% difference.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I think Kareem versus LeBron seems more of an argument... though to be fair I really only saw Kareem towards the end.

LeBron to me is a better version of Magic Johnson.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:56 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No offense to Magic but almost nobody is going to put him above Jordan with both in their primes.

1991 NBA Finals: Bulls Defeat Lakers 4-1

Jordan: 31.2pts, 56% FG, 6.6 rebs and 11.4 assists per game (and 2.8 steals)

Magic: 18.6, 43% FG, 8 rebs, 12.4 assists (and 1.2 steals)

Especially note the FG% difference.
I dont think this is an apples to apples comparison. The Lakers didnt win 5 championships in the 80s by Magic outscoring people. That wasnt his role on the team, unlike MJ whose job was to score tons of points. Also, by 1991 this was not one of the great Laker teams. Kareem long gone, the second best player Worthy had injuries that playoff season and wasnt the same guy either.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
On equivalent teams, LeBron easily and I hate the guy. The Bird-Magic era Lakers were a very strong team.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:26 PM

61 posts, read 38,226 times
Default Magic all day

I overwhelmingly prefer Magic because I favor the team game. I like players who excel in making his players better, which benefits the team as a whole. LeBron stands for a team of individual heroes, which is not the type of team game I prefer to watch.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:01 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know many people who would disagree with you on that. I'm not a fan of the Lebron-Jordan comparisons either because to me there is no comparison. I used Magic and Lebron because to me their styles are similar in some ways.

Very glad I lived to see Bird-Magic matchups, the reign of Jordan and also the era of Lebron though.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:37 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
added one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I voted for Magic because he could make any player better. LeBron is harder to build around, lots of good players have not played well with LeBron. But is LeBron greater overall? I think so.

But choosing the best NBA players in history is so hard. For instance, Jordan edges out Kobe Bryant but they were similar players. Meanwhile, Magic Johnson was much better than Kobe in several ways, especially as a leader. So was Magic better than Jordan in his prime? Who knows.

It comes down to favorites. I tend to not honor championships as much as others do. No way Bill Russell was better than Shaq, Hakeem, and Kareem, doesn't even pass the eye test. Russell was about as good as Ben Wallace.

IIRC, that was one of the reasons that ESPN gave for saying (which they did at one point) that Magic was the only player that could even be considered/argued to be better than Jordan.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-24-2022 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: added one word

Old 04-25-2022, 09:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
added one

IIRC, that was one of the reasons that ESPN gave for saying (which they did at one point) that Magic was the only player that could even be considered/argued to be better than Jordan.

I think you forget how good those Laker teams were. They didn't need Magic making them better. LeBron won surrounded by players who weren't nearly as good as those 1980s Lakers teams that had Kareem. Besides, Magic was a guard. It was his job to get assists. LeBron's job was to completely take over the game both on offense and defense.

I'm a LeBron hater and have always liked Magic but I think this one goes to LeBron. More MVPs. More playoff MVPs. All those All-Defense teams. Much longer career. The dominant player in the league during his era.

Though the gap between those two players and the vanilla NBA all star is tremendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball